Can people stop complaining about DTS?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

174 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
To the starter of this thread, I could not disagree with you more.

I would buy SONOS (I nearly did because their UI is good) if it had at least basic DTS support, as almost all of my Blurays are DTS! These DTS Licenses in bulk purchases to OEMs are not expensive and I've seen this daft argument from manufacturers like AUDIOLAB that did the 8000AP and 8200AP before...

...guess what, because they refuse to implement the basics of decoding high-def formats natively (instead rely on your Player to convert to LPCM for them so they don't have to pay the puny License fee) they have discontinued their line of AVP due to nobody buying their corner-cutting barebones hardware to maximise profits.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
To the starter of this thread, I could not disagree with you more.

How true!
It would be great if DTS was a supported format!
june 2019. I just bought Denon professional DN-500BD MKII (at B&H Photo in NYC) and, out of the box, plays dvd dts 5.1 over my bravia/sonos sound bar with surround speakers listening now. easy! (couldnt really tell from the online research i did, so i just went for it and it works. about $400
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
This is a ridiclous argument to be having in 2018 when even $100 Visio soundbars play DTS. SONOS claims the Playbar is for home theater, BUT according to the Costco website (who is now selling the playbar) it will play all formats connected to it - including Blu-ray players. I called Costco and guess where they got that information? The manufacture - SONOS. What a pack of lies. So even doing research beforehand is misleading.

My 100 disc Blu-ray collection has about 60% DTS discs. Guess what - I get no sound unless its PCM. I have the sub, and 4 play 1's which are all great but the playbar is a total letdown. I would love to return it but SONOS is not willing to tack back a 8 week old product.

SONOS tells me there is no demand for DTS support - bull. I'm pissed off because rather than showing off my OLED TV with awesome sound I end up playing most movies thru the TV speakers and not my $2000 sound system.

I'm the sucker - and my wife reminds me of that every time I have to change audio output for DTS.
I am another user that would like to see DTS. They missed the boat with the Playbase, which was just a reshaped Playbar and again have failed to deliver with the Beam; although this has HDMI finally.

I suspect there may be a technical reason why they cannot deliver DTS, rather than licensing.

Just jumping at straws, but the increased bandwidth of DTS doesn't play nicely with the current code Sonos uses.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I whinge about the shortcomings of Sonos with DTS, No Airplay 2 on the Playbar and the lip sync issues with LG Oled TV's and often think I should have gone with Bose. I always thought the Soundtouch ST300 looked nicer than the Playbar.

However, I then look at Bose and the failed promises of Airplay 2 on any of their soundtouch line, no mesh network, no apple music and now the pathetic situation of the soundtouch line essentially being discontinued and the new wifi speakers being completely incompatible with any soundtouch product and am reminded how much better the Sonos eco system really is.

Think about it, you can have a Zone Player from a decade or more ago in perfect sync with a Sonos One Alexa speaker. Bose can't even manage to allow you to sync a bose soundtouch product bought new today with one of their new home speaker branded products which is what all their new wireless speakers are going to be branded as. Imagine how annoyed you'd be having spent thousands and already being forced into obsolescence?

I used Bose as an example as they are the most obvious competitor to Sonos, however you can use many brands in their place.
I did know about this issue when I bought the Sonos Beam, so I abide by it. However, I agree that it's a little disingenuous to advertise the speakers as home theater capable when they can't play the most common audio codec found on most blu ray disks and many DVDs. I'm just not convinced by Sonos's reasoning here - if there's some technical reason why they can't implement the decoder then just come out and say so, but please stop pretending that their customers haven't been begging for DTS support for years.

I'm not sure why making their reasoning public, beyond what they've already stated regarding streaming media, would be of benefit. Like I said, they did say that they're research suggested that most customers stream media, and therefore felt DTS was less important...and that reasoning has mostly been rejected. Why would a new reason now be acceptable to customers? I'm not saying I don't personally want to know all the details about the decision, I just don't see how telling us makes me or anyone else feel better about it.

As for pretending...have they? They responded from time to time, particularly regarding DTS on the new products Beam and Sonos Amp. I have little doubt that they are well aware of what customers are asking for.

To Be clear, I'm in favor of adding DTS if at all possible. I don't need it for myself personally, but in my opinion, it make their home theatre products less user friendly and deters sales. I don't have all the facts around that, just my opinion.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I love the beam but I think not providing the ability for DTS is limiting. I am currently looking to purchase a UHD player and only Samsung have the option to transcode DTS soundtracks to 5.1DD on the fly. I am now being forced down a route where I have to purchase the Samsung to get some surround sound otherwise I will be stuck with 2 channel PCM. Hopefully this will be addressed in the future with new product releases.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Might be worth mentioning, but TVs that passthough DTS are still fairly scarce. Even if Sonos implement support (and I do still believe they should), many Sonos users, including myself, would still be unable to chain the signal from source to speaker.

It's probably unpopular advice, but the best way for Sonos users to get surround sound from their DTS content is to buy an xbox one or some other device that can transcode on the fly.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I love the beam but I think not providing the ability for DTS is limiting. I am currently looking to purchase a UHD player and only Samsung have the option to transcode DTS soundtracks to 5.1DD on the fly. I am now being forced down a route where I have to purchase the Samsung to get some surround sound otherwise I will be stuck with 2 channel PCM. Hopefully this will be addressed in the future with new product releases.

May I ask if you found a good model Samsung UHF that allowed you to hear DTS on your Sonos system and if so, what model? I searched the older Sonos articles and apparently this has been a big issue for a long time. The recommended players from earlier articles are no longer made and I can’t afford to take any more Mis-steps after this “Sonos blunder”.

The sound from Sonos is great.

But overall I’m highly disappointed that I can’t listen to my favorite Blu-ray’s thru my expensive new Sonos system. From the articles, the makers appear to be tone deaf on the subject.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
jannabana69, I will say that anyone with the ability to enjoy terrific new 4k discs or Streams that now use DTS, Dolby Atmos, and more that provide an enormously better experience while watching the film. Yes I did my research an about the best available at the time. Nowadays, the other manufacturers are stepping over Sonos with HDMI 2.2 inputs/passthrough with DTS, DTSHD, Dolby Atmos and more decoding capabilities. The main place where Sonos is trying to keep pace is the WiFi connectivity vs Bluetooth for many others. Sonos is now a public corporation and will have toe answer to shareholders, like me, that are concerned that Sonos will nbe unable to keep pace with all the other items/ brands now available.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Yes, I have 5.1 with Play 5's in one room and Play 1's in the other and they sound great. The worst issue is that I cannot decode the DTS, Dolby Atmos or anything less compressed and better that Dolby Digital 5.1! Yes, those codes sound better and were invented for just that. It is true if one wants true 'home theater' in a room, one needs to spend a much larger amount of money and buy all separates with enough power to drive them, NOT a soundbar with wireless speakers. I do know because I have done it about 15 years ago when 'home theater' was pretty much a new thing. Soundbars and Sonos didn't exist then. I do have the experience with Microsoft operating system and went to Apple when I learned how much better the MAC is. Windows was basically a copy of so much of Apple's MAC system so why would Apple need Windows? Back to DTS now...DTS, Dolby Atmos, DTSHD and more do sound much better basically because they are much less COMPRESSED audio and do sound better in films. Sonos become a publicly owned company and raised enough cash to invest in new products to expand on services. Many streaming services are now offering much more that Dolby Digital in their services. Apple iTunes does, Amazon Prime, Netflix and more are there and more items arrive every month. If Sonos at a bare minimum had HDMI ARC in all the new items they would sell more. If they had HDMI 2.2 recognition and or passthrough with DTS, Dolby Atmos an all audio decoding then they would double the sale and then the stock price. I am a shareholder so I will mention it when I attend the shareholders meeting. This is not a wah,wah, or boo, hoo. It more like a step up and catch uo with what all the other manufacturers of Soundbars/Subs/Suooround are already doing and selling. This is about the bucks, and the sound. Both are better.

I think it’s really easy to understand WHY people complain about this. People who buy Sonos products aren’t audophiles or interested in home cinema at that level that they even know what the difference is between Dolby Digital or DTS. Yes they probably mostly watch streamed movies from Netflix, but sometimes they just want’s to play a bluray from their Playstation 4 and then they don’t understand why there is no sound. There is still a lot of movies that’s only released on bluray or even DVD.

I really don’t think that there is such a big difference between Dolby Digital or DTS (and I also know how to set up my Playstation 4 and what cable I need), but just for making it as easy as possible for people to use their technology, Sonos should just support as many formats as possible.

Userlevel 2
Badge
I gave my sonos 5.1 to my father-in-law and switched to a Denon AV receiver + 5.1 passive speaker set up. Better sound and support for all codecs for less money.

No more compromises. No more need for optical switches. No more transcoding. I still have 3 Sonos products for music listening but I will never be back for home theater applications. I mean whats the appeal of Sonos for home theater? Besides not having to install speaker cable, but use power cables instead, there is none. Every AV receiver now supports streaming music Spotify connect, airplay etc. It comes with serious drawbacks and like everyone here, I had to find out the hard way.

Forget about Atmos. Its TrueHD and DTS Master that you are truely missing. The lossless sound just blows you away and the detail creates such immersion.
Not sure where to post but I need to chime in. I love this forum, but a question for all the complainers of DTS not being supported. Did you actually research before you purchased this very expensive equipment? I have read so many people whining “I’m going to return my Sonos” or I’m selling my gear” or “wahhhhhh I’m not buying Sonos unless they give me DTS”. I spent hours researching before I even went to the store to give it a listen. It very clear and in no way hidden that this equipment is geared towards streaming media and music. It clearly states that DTS is not supported. To be honest, I didn’t even know people still watch DVDs! Wait....are VCRs still around too?? People think that Sonos is not listening. I believe they are listening and their answer is NO. They have a very specific brand with one goal in mind. Add music easily throughout your whole home. I think the 5.1 is a bonus but it’s not their claim to fame. I have the 5.1 set up and a couple Play 5s and could not be happier with them. Movies AND Music sound great.
Please stop complaining. If the equipment is not exactly what you want, don’t buy it and please don’t whine that you would buy it “if”. Should I call Apple and tell them I’ll buy thousands of dollars of their brand if they “would simply integrate windows 10” to their interface? Ok, enough venting for 1 day. Phew, that felt good! Bring on the hateful comments, I can handle it.

In my own experience, I had no idea what DTS was when I got into Sonos. I was in hifi audio in the previous century, and I got out when Dolby Digital was still called AC-3. At the time, I could get a perfect soundstage out of a pair of high quality B&W speakers and an excellent amp; with a DVD player source I had a home theater that my audiophile friends agreed was worth more than any multi-channel system they'd heard.

Years later that system was damaged, and as my priorities had changed I replaced it with a multi-channel Sony AVR and a bunch of polk speakers. The system was bland, to say the least. When Blu-ray players became affordable I got on that train. Sometimes I'd play with the various sound settings and experiment with different processing, picking out halls and such. Once in a while the DTS light would engage on the front panel, and I'd notice... nothing. It wasn't appreciably different from regular Dolby Digital. It just seemed like typical multi-channel audio. I remember reading that DTS vs DD5.1 was somewhat of a format war, and that Dolby was entrenched and would likely win. Most discs had both, it was a non-issue. So I forgot about it. I never liked the Sony system I had, not a bit, but I figured I was done with hifi so I just lived with it.

Years later, a customer demo'd his new Play:1 for me. I was astounded by how the thing sounded, especially the mids. Vocals just shimmered. I shopped around and found that there was a "complete" home theater setup offered by Sonos. The price was ok so I decided to go for it. Once I got the bugs out and went through half a dozen updates, I'm pretty well satisfied.

Except for one small thing: at some point, many studios switched from DD5.1 to DTS on their Blu-rays. I was pretty surprised to find that movies I had listened to in multi-channel on the Sony system were now playing in stereo on the Sonos. Watching the insanely well-produced Skyfall, particularly the battle at the end, I should have been hearing explosions and glass-breakage all around me, but instead it was crammed into the soundbar along with the voices. The exquisite soundtrack was being crushed.

So in response to your question "did you actually research before you purchased this very expensive equipment?", I had no idea that DTS was still around, much less that it had very nearly taken over the Blu-ray software market. I had no idea Sonos didn't handle DTS. I never thought about it.

Now personally, its not going to get me to throw the system away, or sell it. Its fine when I'm on my Apple TV4K, and the audio comes in from Netflix as DD5.1. It just sucks that I have to shop for an overpriced player now that converts DD to DTS. It also sucks that Netflix is moving towards DD+, which Sonos doesn't support - but could. While a case has been made that its a bandwidth constraint that keeps DTS off Sonos (which could be solved by using HDMI input), it doesn't appear likely that same restriction is what keeps us from getting DD+ 7.1 audio. Will it ever happen?
I could certainly see a newer device that could do that, so that they could include all of the necessary license fees for all the speakers needed in the one device's price point. But I have to wonder at what price point that device would end up being at. There's an odd connection often between perceived size and functionality and the associated cost. It's not a hard and fast rule, mind you, at least in my mind, but it's there.
Rendering someone's entire BluRay collection useless is borderline class action lawsuit for an audio system that is sold as a home audio entertainment system. Picture the scene: everyone sits down to watch a BluRay and there's no audio once the movie starts. Wow...what a great sound system. (And for some reason my Sony BluRay player is not successfully converting the DTS to PCM so I'm truly stuck.)

So you bought a sound bar that could not play your Blu-Ray disks and you blame the company that made it for "rendering your entire Blu-Ray collection useless"? I'm going to need the pictures of the Sonos executive holding the gun to your head when you purchased the item and/or tried to return it after learning of this weakness.
Userlevel 3
Badge
[quote=jgatie]Can you show me where on the Sonos home theatre website it tells me about not supporting BluRay DTS audio?
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/products/wireless-home-theater
All I see is a sentence about enjoying “every movie...”Rendering someone's entire BluRay collection useless is borderline class action lawsuit for an audio system that is sold as a home audio entertainment system. Picture the scene: everyone sits down to watch a BluRay and there's no audio once the movie starts. Wow...what a great sound system. (And for some reason my Sony BluRay player is not successfully converting the DTS to PCM so I'm truly stuck.)
where on the Sonos consumer website it’s made plain they do not support BluRay (DTS) audio out of the box
https://www.sonos.com/shop/playbar.html#specs
Optical input to connect to your TV. Allows PLAYBAR to work with DOLBY DIGITAL and stereo.

And no, there isn't a list of all the things the product does not do. It could be interminable.
It isn’t just you, I do the same research before spending my hard earned dollars.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If they do I will likely be early in line to upgrade what I have now. I am already considering the Samsung HW-N950 soundbar that includes rears as my next purchase. If the sounders don't catch up, it will be Emotiva with all separate speakers. I would prefer to keep a bit of the cost down but basically if it truly sounds better, I will pay up.

I'm kinda in a similar boat: while I'm currently happy with my dedicated Pioneer Elite + Energy Encores 5.1 setup that provides way more power than I'll ever need, I'd get in line to cut the cords and migrate to a Sonos system. At one point earlier in my life I was very particular about having proper 5.1 for my home cinema, but now that I'm older with kids I don't mind trading all that for a close approximation if it means a less cluttered living space and more convenience.
No, I don’t make any assumptions like that. I have zero faith in sales rhetoric, or manufacturing “norms”. Perhaps as I’ve lived in so many different places that have differing standards? I just never like to “assume”,
It isn’t just you, I do the same research before spending my hard earned dollars.
So when you research a brand new car, you specifically make sure that it has a left-hand turning signal or don’t you just assume a brand new car does those basic things?

Not a valid comparison. In most countries a functioning left turn signal is a legal requirement for road-worthiness.

But if, say, I wanted a satnav then of course I'd check the specs.
Users with a serious need for a "theatre room" most probably won't have gone down this PLAY* path anyhow. They'll have a receiver with passive speakers dotted around the room, quite possibly hooked up to a CONNECT/ZP90/ZP80.