Can people stop complaining about DTS?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

174 replies

No hateful comments from me, but I suspect it will be like asking the wind to stop blowing, or the sun to stop shining.

But I admire your viewpoint 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a bit no research for sure. Actually I would be in the camp it should have been included for simplicity sake. Sonos wanted the playbar to be a plug and go so tried to make everything as simple as possible. But the DTS issue probably should have been thought out more. Is it a flaw? No Is it something that would have been preferred? Yes. But definitely fact is it works as designed and if you didn't like that design or were misinformed then hey maybe it wasn't for them.

I used to see a lot more complaining.. Don't notice it much anymore. Nothing like the new interface haters ... I never found the why No DTS crowd to actually be hateful about it.... just a little whiney.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I will say the audio bug bit me at a young age. I heard my first car audio demo vehicle when I was 13. I am now 40. I worked for one of the biggest audio manufacturers and I was even an IASCA judge for 3 years. I am not saying I am a guru but I feel I have an advantage over your average joe. I have literally owned dozens and dozens of home theater setups starting with $50 “home theater in a box” to a full blown Snell Acoustics 5.1 set up and everything in between. My last set up before this was a Samsung HWK950 wireless atmos system. I had nothing but issues with the Samsung and replaced it with Sonos. I will say the Sonos is my favorite set up ever. In this price range you will not find any component system that sounds nice or is easier to set up. I have had the Sonos gear for a short time and I have had ZERO issues. Not even a hiccup. I do not watch dvds I only stream content and the experience with movies is more than enjoyable. Maybe all the people wishing for dts support should spend $50-100 dollars on a streaming stick or device and see what they are missing. I am sure any movie you have in your collection will be available to you and if you do not agree that the sound is outstanding then frankly, there might be something wrong with you! Buy the gear directly from Sonos and a stick from amazon and you’ll have plenty of time to try it and return it.

What I really want is a SuperConnect Box that sends out signals to all Sonos speakers to create 5.1 (like using 3 Play:5s for front, center, right). And Dolby Atmos compatibility - that would be incredible.

Yep. You and I have been in agreement on that for some time. The logic for the system needs to be offloaded to a SuperConnect as you said, and it needs multiple HDMI inputs along with a complete decoder suite. Make an entry level SuperConnect that gets us up to DTS/DD+ which would preserve everyone's investment in the various Play speakers. Make a hifi SuperConnectHT that gets us Dolby True HD/Atmos/DTS:X, with software upgrades available for the inevitable new standard that will emerge just after these go to market.

Ultimately, Sonos could offer height speakers that add on to the Plays, and perhaps a new Playbar that offers the same.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Rendering someone's entire BluRay collection useless is borderline class action lawsuit for an audio system that is sold as a home audio entertainment system. Picture the scene: everyone sits down to watch a BluRay and there's no audio once the movie starts. Wow...what a great sound system. (And for some reason my Sony BluRay player is not successfully converting the DTS to PCM so I'm truly stuck.)
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I do believe that in order to increase their revenue, Sonos will have to enter new markets or increase their market share in existing markets like home cinema. If they are serious about increasing their market share in home cinema, I predict that Sonos will eventually release a proper Dolby Atmos soundbar with support for DTS Virtual:X as well.
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm looking for a product which has feature X I'll scan the specs to explicitly look for X. Strange, I know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It's a shame, as it is a reason people will move away from sonos in their "theatre/main room", and then it's not whole house sonos anymore.
Still if gives good techy reasons for playbar2 🆒

Amen!! Another rational person who lives in the “real” world. :D

If you only knew who you were replying to . . . 😉
I see it both ways. I definitely agree that it's rather wise to do research before buying any tech these days. You just can't assume features. At the same time though, if I see an optical output on my tv, and an optical input on the PLAYBAR, I expect that they're compatible. I sort of feel that an average customer shouldn't have to know more than that before making a purchase.

In a way, this is an industry problem more than a Sonos problem. On one hand, it would be great if a new codec came with a new type of connection. That way there would be no doubt about compatibility. Of course, the downside would be all new cables and such for the customer to buy, as well as no firmware upgrades to support a new codec. It's growing pains.

Although I already have my setup, I have thought about upgrading to a 4K. If I start looking, it's going to be annoying that I'll have to limit my choices by what will work with the PLAYBAR, or possibly have some complex work around that limits the ease of use. Essentially, I'm fine now, but I certainly would be in favor of making the Sonos as compatible as possible.
Yet another Sonos buyer who can't handle any criticism of their choices. Talk abut thinking. You posted a topic complaint you don't like seeing criticisms. Is the irony totally lost on you?
Nobody is forcing you to read the very justified complaints about Sonos Home theater gear not support modern formats or connectivity.
This is Sonos' market to lose and judging by the complaints and returns they are being very slow to respond. There are many alternatives now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
A £50 Samsung Blu-ray player solved it for me (on the fly DTS to DD conversion), but I knew I'd need to buy that before buying the Playbar.

For what it is and what we use it for the Playbar in 5.1 works perfectly well.

Yes, probably what all sensible people did (or something like it) - BUT we should not have had to find such workarounds Sonos should have supported more than one input option, after all the original ZonePlayers did.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
This post has come up many many times on this forum, and my observations are as follows:

It's kinda hard to understand how so many people come here and post something akin to "I just spent 10K on wiring my whole house for Sonos and just realised it doesn't play my 24-bit FLAC files or my DTS-only Blu-Rays. THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO THINGS I LISTEN TO AND WATCH!" Basically, it's weird we have so many mega rich people who drop this kinda cash on a whim and then moan about it not doing the things they didn't bother to research it for.

If you're seriously into Home Theatre I cannot understand for one second how Sonos is the product for you. It is a convenience play and I've mentioned before it quite clearly is focused on music streaming first (which it is by far the best in the market at, and "Home Theatre" second. The fact that it maxes out at DD5.1 and can't support DD Plus should tell you all you need to know about where it stands.

That said, I do have some sympathy for the average Joe who doesn't know DD from DTS, shells out 1K for a Playbar and Sub, takes it home, hooks everything up, and then realises he can't watch his Star Wars DVD (and subsequently gets forced into the parallel universe of audio codecs).

Sonos absolutely must be R&D'ing an HDMI Playbar, there's just no other way to push that line forwards, and I maintain my belief that Sonos will just buy out Denon's flagging HEOS range which can do everything codec-wise that people seem to ask for.

My original post about 6 months ago still holds:

This is an interesting thread, but there are lots of things in here that I don't agree with, and seem just pure conjecture. To caveat, I have both a "proper" wired 5.1 AV setup in my main TV room, as well as Sonos throughout the house (including 2x 5.0 Sonos setups). So I feel fairly well placed to make comparisons.

Firstly, a Sonos 5.1 setup is crazy expensive. Just looking at the online shop, a Playbar/Playbase, Sub and 2 surrounds (Play 1s) costs £1,736. You could easily spend that money on a wired setup, as well as an AV Pro to come round, trunk the speaker cabling, set everything up and then have at least £200-300 left to spare. It would support all sound formats, and I would say arguably give you slightly better sound (but it's negligible).

But set a Sonos surround system up, feed it a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and it does a great job (as it should do, because it's crazy expensive). You can get a decent amount of bass without the Sub too (quite why it needs to cost £600 is really beyond me). So the "low quality Dolby Digital" comment is just pointless and incorrect. Sonos has superb software and the technology of SonosNet is fantastic, but comes at a hefty cost.

Saying "I actually use fewer wires" for a Denos/Q Acoustics setup just means you didn't do your research properly. Any LG TV will pass on a 5.1 signal either from an internal or external source (and most Samsung or Sony ones do too), and differentiating between "thick" and "thin" cabling is seriously clutching.

I fully agree that you can have issues if you're a serial DVD/Blu-Ray watcher, and I agree you can get pesky lip-sync issues. I'm wondering how many folk bought the last Star Wars films (DTS only for the main soundtrack, DD for description only!), plugged it in and realised they couldn't hear anything (although out the box, most TV/Sonos setups seem to default to 2.0 anyway). Lipsync issues though, in my experience, are more down to the TV manufacturer than Sonos (but it absolutely is a pain).

It is patently obvious that home theatre was an afterthought for Sonos, else there is no other reason to begin with a purely optical soundbar and charge £650. If I was a betting man, I'd give it a 90-95% chance that Sonos is R&D'ing a HDMI Soundbar. There is just no other way to take that product line forwards, but how they would make it work for surround sound is another thing. I'm guessing there would be serious bandwidth issues for anything beyond DD5.1 with non-wired surrounds.

And just 2 points to make to the OP - if we want to start talking about so-called "true" AV setups, then things such as clear speech shouldn't even be an issue and you should be watching everything in Pure Direct mode. If you're having to make adjustments for this, it's not setup properly in the first place (save for the odd show/film with really bad mixing). Also, Sonos quite literally has a Speech Enhancement function! And buying speakers such as the (excellent) Q Acoustics ones and then quite literally dumping them all next to each other on your TV stand with little space between them (thus, little audio separation) and at a low level which must be way below your ear level, is just wrong - you might as well have just got a Playbar.

I also must say the people who seem to be worried about sound formats, etc IMO is a vast minority of overall Sonos users. Every single other person I know who has it simply connects to their WiFi and is done with it. Most don't even know about DTS, DD+, Atmos, etc. And if you care that much about it, I find it odd you'd run through all these hoops to get surround sound and not want a "proper" wired setup in the first place.

Sonos is a music streamer and simple soundbar first, and an extension into Home Theatre second. It's the best in the market at the first, and does an admirable (if very very costly) job at the second.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Nothing hateful but Movies make more money than music does and influence more people. Decoding DTS would be easy to do and an HDMI input/throughput would be eve more spectacular and they would sell millions of items. I am like Steve Jobs at Apple. He wasn't an engineer that designed to machines, but he understood what people really wanted. I am I that groove. Music is great to listen to and have in the background like 'elevator music', but niching beats a great film, with incredible spacious sound that would get us right into the scenes. That could be easily set up for just a few bucks and would stop all the issues, complaints and make Sonos even more money! That is what hey want, isn't it?:?
So, the answer to the question posed by this thread is "no".
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
So, the answer to the question posed by this thread is "no".
Well perhaps "no" or "not until the issue is addressed and solved", be that by Sonos or industry standards changing. :D

Given this, can the "Sonos does what I need" brigade stop trying to shut down legitimate topics on these forums? Unfortunately I suspect that answer to this questions is also "No" or "not until everyone agrees with us that Sonos is perfect". 😛
Well, I have my Sonos system 2-3 years, I really liked it...

But I just buy new TV (Philips 65oled873/12), and now the app says "Geluid van tv niet ondersteund" (Sound of tv not supported), think my tv give DTS-HD, I can't change to dolby in settings TV.

The strange thing is, I still have sound from my sonos but if it was not, my Sonos had to go...

Anyway, next time I buy new sound system, it will NOT be Sonos, and the only reasons are, no hdmi, no DTS, my sound system must work with all, I don't want problems if you buy new TV or new blue-ray or whatever just because Sonos don't work with all...

I am not complaining about it, but Sonos has the right to know this, so that's why I post this here...
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I don't weigh on the debate much but DTS support would make my setup perfect. My 4K bluray player doesn't convert DTS-HD to 5.1. I hadn't thought of upgrading some of my old DVDs and some don't have ATMOS which the player converts OK.
i'm pretty sure this is a case of Sonos screwed themselves by standardising on optical (which is old and dead) and it doesn't have the bandwidth to carry a decent signal like HDMI does.

what frustrates me is they won't update their otherwise excellent hardware to use a connection medium that doesn't suck.
Userlevel 1
I understand that to add DTS to PlayBars and PlayBases would cost Sonos approx. £50 in licensing fees to DTS for each unit updated. This would apply for each new unit sold and all previously sold units receiving the updates. Therefore the overall cost to Sonos would be quite substantial and I believe this to be the main stumbling block on providing the update. A bit disappointing when you consider these products are not exactly cheap to purchase and far cheaper brands add DTS as standard.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I beleive the industry failed Sonos. Such as there was obviously a standard set at one point to use dd 5.1 via optical out from tv as a standard. That many tv manufacturers decided to skimp on and leave off.

So it was everybody else’s fault and only Sonos got it right? Unlikely.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks Paul. I have SkyQ and it is excellent. I doesn’t always show what I want to watch. I also may be old fashioned but I do like to collect the odd classic movie on DVD for keeps. I suppose my overall point is that the Sonos Playbar/base shouldn’t be for audiofiles who know their DTS from their elbow, it should just work. And for that amount of cash, £1700, it should work BETTER than anything else in this sector.

@djsgrant - If you live in UK you could look into SkyQ. Your slow broadband speed will not matter, as it downloads UHD catch-up content onto it's hardrive, could be overnight, then you could watch it when ever you choose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
...Oh dear, pedantry taken to a whole new level. This is why I hate these forums ... Great detracting from the point though...

Do not take it personally, that poster makes a living out of detracting from the point in order to "back Sonos" to the hilt!
djsgrant,

I would love to see Sonos produce a new centre front speaker to replace the PlayBar with the ability to add a Sub and four 'separate' surrounds.

To get 'virtual' Dolby Atmos, it would be nice if the surrounds were also all capable of 'upward firing' a separate channel and the whole room sound calibrated via trueplay tuning.

I’m not talking more devices than what you maybe want to see in a room, just that the surround speakers can be separated out from the centre and be able to fire separate audio channels upwards, aswell as outwards.

That’s what I would prefer to see and maybe bypass DTS altogether.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I think the issue is around those that know how the tech works and those that don't. It's not unreasonable to think that a system that can be built and is sold as 5.1 will work with a blurry player and reproduce 5.1. I was happy enough to buy a new player that could convert dts to dd but it shouldn't be necessary. I'm not worried about any differences in sound quality or effects but Sonos sells itself as a simple to use system that means owners can plug and play as far as possible. They should pay the extra licensees fee which I understand is the issue with not supporting dts? and support their customers better.