Can My SONOS ONE(a100) play Netflix Audio?

• 16 December 2018
  • 10 replies

I am looking to play netflix on my Macbook Pro and listen to the show through the SONOS ONE speaker. Now it doesn't have to be wirelessly, Can I direct connect the LAN network cable into the usb network adapter or lightening adapter into the MBP then into the back of the SONOS ONE and listen to the audio vs using the MBP internal speakers.

Seems to be a very expensive speaker with such an antiquated bottle neck forcing the user to NEEDING the SONOS app to use this speaker. I dont ,understand the target audience whom would stricly purchase a speaker and be extremely limited on its use case to only web base radio stations...

I wonder if there is a royality or channel direction traffic profits they are gaining by limiting this functionality...

For those whom reply with its not ment for that, please tell me then the purpose of limiting the mindset of networking the unit to only radio station web codecs and such vs being able to plant this unit and a few others, turn on HBOGO, youtube, NETFLIX, etc and play.... If there is no work-a-round. Does any one want to purchase a Brand new Sonos ONE as this is then useless to me:?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I think the problem is that the Sonos One doesn't have a simple line input.
I received a pair of Ones for my birthday. I absolutely love them. Actual high fidelity audio with incredible interconnection technology for $600 is incredible value.
I really would like the option to plug in a simple line connection from my TV and it's a little disappointing that I can't.
I am however, optimistically assuming that a Chromecast option might evolve with the Google Assistant update.

I think OP and you have legitimate concerns - I agree this should be much more pronounced in the Sonos ecosystem. I implemented what you and OP are trying to achieve by buying a used Sonos Connect and using its line-in for feeding analog PC sound into the Sonos system, works really well.

What really makes me wonder are the all the negative comments on why Sonos is not the right system for this purpose -- I think that a contemporary multi-room system should also offer the ability to effortlessly include PC audio, such that you don't need any other speakers (except for Sonos) in your apartment/house.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I really would like the option to plug in a simple line connection from my TV and it's a little disappointing that I can't.
I am however, optimistically assuming that a Chromecast option might evolve with the Google Assistant update.

Hi

Not sure if this will impact your wish but Google has announced that Google Chromecast Audio is now discontinued.
I think the problem is that the Sonos One doesn't have a simple line input.
I received a pair of Ones for my birthday. I absolutely love them. Actual high fidelity audio with incredible interconnection technology for $600 is incredible value.
In case OP is monitoring this thread, a big reason why the Sonos One won't work as a computer speaker as it is designed for multiroom audio. Multiroom audio requires a buffer. This is not an issue for music playback, but for matching audio to video so they play in sync, it is. Sonos does have products and configurations that will work with TVs, but a standalone Sonos One is not one of them.

I imagine Sonos could have designed the Sonos One to have some sort of secondary mode where it works as a dumb computer or Bluetooth speaker, but it really limits what the product is ultimately designed for, and adds complication to a product Sonos would like to try and make as simple as possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Doesnt work for me either, not surprised to see people on here being both unhelpful and needlessly rude. Well done.
The OP's post was part rant, part misleading speculation and part question. The question part was answered, but the OP was never to be seen again. Others may disagree with you about who was needlessly rude.

I believe apple had not made macs compatible yet other than playing from iTunes.
In fact, you can send any audio from a Mac to any AirPlay device (including the more recent AirPlay 2 Sonos speakers), using AirPlay v1. All AirPlay audio endpoints appear as selectable options under 'Output' in 'Sound Preferences'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You have not bought computer speaker. You've bought a wireless speaker system. You can direct music to it via Airplay 2 but I believe apple had not made macs compatible yet other than playing from iTunes. The OP started with an unhelpful and rude post which was hardly going to endere him to the people here who could help.
Doesnt work for me either, not surprised to see people on here being both unhelpful and needlessly rude. Well done.
The OP seems to have picked his user name well, given that his comments are a complete joke.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am looking to play netflix on my Macbook Pro and listen to the show through the SONOS ONE speaker. Now it doesn't have to be wirelessly, Can I direct connect the LAN network cable into the usb network adapter or lightening adapter into the MBP then into the back of the SONOS ONE and listen to the audio vs using the MBP internal speakers.
No.

Seems to be a very expensive speaker with such an antiquated bottle neck forcing the user to NEEDING the SONOS app to use this speaker. I dont ,understand the target audience whom would stricly purchase a speaker and be extremely limited on its use case to only web base radio stations...
I wonder if there is a royality or channel direction traffic profits they are gaining by limiting this functionality...

This is factually incorrect in several respects. Perhaps you should do better research.

Anyway, as the previous poster suggested, AirPlay works. Select your Sonos One as the audio output source.
Can you stream to it via AirPlay? I don’t have a MacBook but doing this from an iPhone is trivial.