Question

Can I use a Play:5 to send audio from my ceiling mounted projector to a Playbar, 10 meters away, wirelessly?

• 11 September 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a big living room with a ceiling mounted projector, all the way in the back. It projects a 300 inch image on a large wall roughly 10 meters away. I was thinking about mounting a Play:5 speaker next to the projector it and connect the the two. Then I was hoping I could get the Play:5 to send the sound, wirelessly to a Playbar which I would have on the floor by the wall where the image is projected. (10 meters)

I have great wireless connectivity in my place. Will this setup work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes and no. Well yes if you have a suitable analogue out on the projector, or get a DAC if the output is digital. But there will be an audio lag, and the sound will be stereo only. A Connect would be cheaper than a Play:5. But with that sort of setup I would have thought you would want a better audio solution.

Where are your video sources located and what are they?
Hey Yes and no. Well yes if you have a suitable analogue out on the projector, or get a DAC if the output is digital. But there will be an audio lag, and the sound will be stereo only. A Connect would be cheaper than a Play:5. But with that sort of setup I would have thought you would want a better audio solution.

Where are your video sources located and what are they?

Hey John B,

Appreciate your answer. I'm not sure if the output is digital or analogue. Here's what the website tells me about my projector.

"USB 2.0 Type A, USB 2.0 Type B (Service Only), Wireless Network (optional), VGA in, HDMI in (2x), MHL, Stereo mini jack audio out"

So only a Stereo mini jack audio out.

I'm my video source is a Chromecast and it's located on the projector.
Hi. Sounds like analog out, in which case a 3.5mm jack to RCA stereo cable should work with a Connect.

I can think of one way to avoid the audio lag. This is a purely theoretical solution so handle with care - I don't know of anyone actually doing this. Possible solution: Place an HDMI switch / audio extractor with digital optical out near the Playbar. Put the Chromecast into the extractor's input. The optical cable goes to the Playbar. The HDMI out from the switch goes to the projector. Yes a 10 metre HDMI cable. OR replace the HDMI cable with a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver. I have no experience with wireless HDMI so I don't know how reliable it is.

The fundamental difference here is that you extract the audio directly from the Chromecast, instead of sending the audio through the projector and back to the Playbar.