Buzzing sound Beam

After updating to S2, my Beam started making a buzzing sound when playing from the tv.

If I disconnect the cable from the tv hdmi ARC port , the sound keeps buzzing and only Stops. when I disconnect the cable from the beam  
the buzzing only comes from the beam and not from the surrounds  

im using the included original cable 

when playing music from Spotify it plays normally. 

any idea what might be causing this?

thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

I have the same issue - I’ll try and do the factory reset to see if it works.

A couple of things I did not see mentioned here:

1. The buzzing sounds only when there’s sound coming from the TV
  2. My TV has 2 output options: “PCM” and “Auto” (i.e. what the source format is). I normally have it set to Auto since PCM means stereo sound, and I get the buzzing - even if the source is PCM!
  3. If I set my TV to output PCM and not the source format, it stops buzzing completely, but as soon as I return to Auto, it starts buzzing again.
  4. After power cycling the Beam, it seemed to have worked for a while.

I have a Samsung 49" Q6F and just started having this issue after the S2 update as well. Did a reset and it started again within hours. Went into the TV Sound settings and under 'advanced options' I was able to change the output format from PCM to Dolby Digital and that seems to have fixed the issue. 

Ah, of course now that I have a lead (gathering support information etc.) I can’t get it to buzz anymore :-)

Yesterday I’ve watched something via Smart share without problems, then some IPTV. I don’t know if the Smartshare session sorted it out or what was it, but for the moment I can’t reproduce the issue.

Just tried to switch to optical using the supplied adapter, same problem.

Did not try rebooting the Beam, my wife’s patience was running out 🤬

I too have experienced this buzzing issue about 10 times since the s2 update. It is resolved by fully power cycling the beam which is really annoying and inconvenient. I’ve also performed a full reset but after a few days the issue comes back. One thing I have noticed is it is most likely to happen when using my Samsung TV’s built in YouTube app. When using other external devices - Nvidia shield etc, the problem does not present itself at all. This is clearly a really common issue judging by posts here and elsewhere. I hope Sonos can fix it as my experience up to now has been excellent. this has given me a reason to doubt their reliability for the first time. Diagnostic - 1868961579

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @beaker1977.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and providing a diagnostic report since this issue is really annoying let me try to help you out.

First, can you try to enable the wifi connection to your Sonos beam?

Next try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks Mark. I’ve followed your advice and enabled wifi on the beam, unplugged all my Sonos devices, rebooted my router and plugged everything back in when the router was back online. If the problem re-emerges I’ll let you know but so far, so good.

I just ran into this same issue. However I didn’t try Spotify, all my media apps would buzz once the audio signal was being received from the tv to the Beam through via HDMI ARC. I didn’t try Spotify, but ended unplugging/plugging my Beam and that seems to solve it for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I had this problem as well on dolby digital audio with tv.

It seems that a beam reboot solved it.

Let's see.

Turned of TV auto play in Sonos app . This stopped the buzzing

Yep, this issue is also happening to me. Doesn't happen When watching Netflix/blu-rays bit does when watching other streaming services (4 on demand) 

Come on Sonos, please sort this out. Your clever software devs must be working on a fix for this issue.

I should of stayed with a traditional 5.1 setup and separate amp, would never of had this problem then.

First time noticing it with Samsung tv. Has been working fine for a year. This evening the tv has been on for 4 hours on Netflix.

The buzzing started when I used the YouTube cast from my iPhone to the tv that I noticed the buzz. Then on normal tv it continued even after tv shutdown and restart. 

the solution for me was to open Netflix, the buzzing stopped immediately, I closed Netflix and regular tv had no buzzing either. Navigating back to YouTube all fine. Started using cast and all good.

I imagine something got stuck closing on the tv communicating with Sonos  and caused the buzzing.

yes I experienced the same issue this evening I have had it a year and this issue arose after updating to sonos 2!!

I am having the same issue.  I am hoping that there was something in the update they can fix and correct this.

I'm in the same boat. I had this strange buzzing noise coming from watching TV/YouTube. When I switched to Spotify it also disappeared. I was assuming there was some sort of issue with the videos I was watching. I've rebooted the beam, and this seems to have done the trick for now. I have also recently updated to the new Sonos app. Hoping it's just a small bug. 

Hi,

after some prompt help from the Sonos support team the issue was eliminated by completely resetting  the Beam. 

first I had to remove the surrounds , then completely reset the beam (had to follow this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en) - removed it from the system and added it again (same procedure as adding a new device)

did not take a long time and the issue was resolved. 

hope it helps anyone experiencing the same issues. 

Same issue after updating to S2. Brought up the issue to customer care.

Had to do a factory reset twice, did a factory reset first time and was working until i installed the update again and it started. So did a reset 2nd time with no update.

Its not expected of Sonos atleast to release the software for the trending music bar in market, without appropriate testing, which gets most of the customers do all these stuff...just a waste of time….

Waiting for the update to fix it. Please keep us informed when its good to upgrade 

Yes I had the same issue. Thanks for the advice. I factory reset it and it has gone away. 

done the factory reset...buzzing comes back after a day or so....very frustrating....lack of response from sonos emailed them no response nearly two weeks!!!😡😡😡

done the factory reset...buzzing comes back after a day or so....very frustrating....lack of response from sonos emailed them no response nearly two weeks!!!😡😡😡

Just some things you can perhaps consider, until you can get around to calling Sonos Customer Care...

I would maybe try a different HDMI lead, if you have not considered that already. Also check if any other TV connected peripherals have HDMI-CEC enabled and try switching it off on the other devices to see if that might make a difference.

Also, I see from your post, that you did a factory reset, if your Beam is bonded with surrounds did you reset the surrounds too?

Same thing for me....it worked for a day or two and issue started again. 

I have the same issue - I’ll try and do the factory reset to see if it works.

A couple of things I did not see mentioned here:

1. The buzzing sounds only when there’s sound coming from the TV
  2. My TV has 2 output options: “PCM” and “Auto” (i.e. what the source format is). I normally have it set to Auto since PCM means stereo sound, and I get the buzzing - even if the source is PCM!
  3. If I set my TV to output PCM and not the source format, it stops buzzing completely, but as soon as I return to Auto, it starts buzzing again.
  4. After power cycling the Beam, it seemed to have worked for a while.

vladk2k,

Assuming you and others have tried the things mentioned earlier in this thread, I would perhaps submit a system diagnostic the next time you encounter the issue and post the reference here in the thread.

Then speak with sonos customer care over the phone, as there are things they can maybe test to see if it’s a sonos hardware/software issue, or if it maybe an external factor, like the TV itself (just as an example).

Hope you get the matter sorted soon.

not a software issue..don't be fobbed off...I have took mine back to the store and had it replaced...think update is killing the speaker....it is not  a TV issue!!!!

Adrian Haynes 1984,

I have two Beams here, running on the S2 software and each are working ok. One is connected to a Samsung TV (bedroom) via optical and the other is connected to an LG TV (Dining Room) via HDMI-ARC. Both are working fine with no sign of buzzing etc. 

So it’s perhaps not the update either, but it could be a combination of things (perhaps🤔?) and by asking users affected to submit a system diagnostic when the issue is occurring ..and to contact sonos customer care, is certainly not fobbing people off.  It’s trying to assist those affected, to hopefully get to the root cause of their matter.

pipe down Ken just stating the facts...do you work for sonos? sonos customer care is next to useless...tried rebooting re Installing...I'm not the only one experiencing problems..which by the way only started after the aforementioned update!!!!