Buzzing sound Beam

After updating to S2, my Beam started making a buzzing sound when playing from the tv.

If I disconnect the cable from the tv hdmi ARC port , the sound keeps buzzing and only Stops. when I disconnect the cable from the beam  
the buzzing only comes from the beam and not from the surrounds  

im using the included original cable 

when playing music from Spotify it plays normally. 

any idea what might be causing this?

thanks,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Zilkan.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

We would like to extend our help here by contacting our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Well, that didn't fix the issue for me. Buzzing still there. I think if you don't come up with a solution I will  need money back as they are still in warranty and get some other system. You don't expect to have such issue with such product!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Wisey81.

Thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Glad we managed to sort all things out.

I thought I would report back with an update on the issue I have been experiencing.

The issue appears to be resolved 🤞🏻

I contacted Sonos support and they advised me on various fault finding steps.

The one that resolved the issue was to simply unplug my TV and the Beam, then just plug them back in ! 

I’ll monitor the issue and post back here in a week or so to update.

I’d also like to mention how good my experience was with Sonos support. They were quick to respond, clear in their instructions, and just hassle free. Makes such difference.

Cheers all.

Same issue is re-occuring again now, too frustrating. Tried same reset steps again was up...for few days and again issue started back.

Calling the customer care is too long a wait and usually nobody answers..Feeling sick with such a premium sound company and horrible testing before releasing out the updates….or i am wondering if the issue is with the speaker itself and firmware damaged my speaker...i am currently out of 1 year warranty, but i raised the exact initial issue 6 months back before the warranty expired, not sure they will honor that now…..All in All..so disappointing

Submitted diagnostics with confirmation number 1046359165

@Sonos, Please fix the issue asap or get me a replacement pls

I have had this issue since s2 with a Samsung Tv. Doesn’t happen on Netflix or Amazon just catchup tv 4od and itv. Have to reboot the beam but is getting frustrating as it seems to be getting worse. Very disappointing as may have to get rid of it and go back seperates 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Wisey81.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

I understand you’re really disappointed with the current situation you have with your Sonos product.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more,

thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Wisey81.

We don't have any option to rollback the software update,

If you have another HDMI cable please try it and let us know if it works.

I’m going to give sonos support a shot (I did try the other day, but the live chat session didn’t work) 

If I still continue to experience the issue, I’m going to take my sonos kit back to where I purchased it from, it’s faulty as far as I’m concerned.

I will purchase a “traditional“ 5.1 setup, and just hook up an Echo Dot to it.  

This is supposed to be a premium product, I can’t stress my dissatisfaction more strongly.

Poor show Sonos. Poor show.  

@Mark P

I did Sonos update two days ago and buzzing on the Beam started. Connected to Samsung TV. Reboot/Reset of speaker fixes issue only temporary and buzzing reappears. Is there a way to roll back the update? Also, please inform management that people are having issue with this update.

Hi MarkP, thanks for your reply, sorry for the late response on my behalf.

Alas, factory resetting the Beam did not work.

Do you have any other suggestions at all ? 

thank you in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Wisey81.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

Have you already tried doing factory data reset in your soundbar?

First time noticing it with Samsung tv. Has been working fine for a year. This evening the tv has been on for 4 hours on Netflix.

The buzzing started when I used the YouTube cast from my iPhone to the tv that I noticed the buzz. Then on normal tv it continued even after tv shutdown and restart. 

the solution for me was to open Netflix, the buzzing stopped immediately, I closed Netflix and regular tv had no buzzing either. Navigating back to YouTube all fine. Started using cast and all good.

I imagine something got stuck closing on the tv communicating with Sonos  and caused the buzzing.

Yep, this issue is also happening to me. Doesn't happen When watching Netflix/blu-rays bit does when watching other streaming services (4 on demand) 

Come on Sonos, please sort this out. Your clever software devs must be working on a fix for this issue.

I should of stayed with a traditional 5.1 setup and separate amp, would never of had this problem then.

Same problem here too, started a few months ago, happens about once a week. Power cycling the beam gets rid of the problem until next time.

With the amount of people having the same problem this seems to be a design/manufacturing problem.

Was thinking about getting a third beam, but will hold off.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Kitek84.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

Try to power cycle the beam, unplug and plug in the hdmi cable from your TV?

If it's still buzzing try to factory data reset the beam to reset it completely.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Jeremy75 and @pioroman.

Since the issue still continues and you've done everything, You need to contact again the phone support agents for them to see if this can be replaced or not?

Same Issue here. It's very annoying!

Buzzing sound when playing TV, or gaming console in HDMI. Everything seems ok when playing Netflix. TV Samsung QE55Q6FN

Sonos beam + sub

Diagnostic number 152400621

I have the same issue… noticed this a few times buzzing in one of the slides of the BEAM… only solution was to power cycle the sonos but it comes back… I have a samsung TV 43UE7125 connected via HDMI ARC, I have 2 Sonos One and all Sonos are the lan with no wifi…

so what is the solution to this ?

Turned of TV auto play in Sonos app . This stopped the buzzing

I have the same issue. Did a factory reset and it worked only for 2 days and the humming noise is back. Called customer service and they ask me to try another hdmi cable/optical connector /another TV. All led to the same situation,buzzing noise returns after 1 or 2 days. 

Totally frustrating. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I had this problem as well on dolby digital audio with tv.

It seems that a beam reboot solved it.

Let's see.

I just ran into this same issue. However I didn’t try Spotify, all my media apps would buzz once the audio signal was being received from the tv to the Beam through via HDMI ARC. I didn’t try Spotify, but ended unplugging/plugging my Beam and that seems to solve it for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @beaker1977.

Upon checking on the second diagnostic you submitted theirs no issue showing, so my guess is there might be a defect in the soundbar.

Since this is a recurring issue, I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more.

Up to now the fix above (enabling wifi on the beam) appeared to have worked but unfortunately a week later the buzzing started back again.

I was using my Samsung TV’s YouTube app at the time. A power cycle resolved the problem but I don’t think this issue is completely resolved just yet.

My TV is a Samsung UE49MU7000. (Diagnostic - 760168829)