Bridge+ : web-server to control the system + extend the memory limit

• 27 August 2013
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
SONOS should develop a new type of SONOS:Bridge that provides the additional functions:
  • the actual SONOS:Bridge functions.
  • a web server that provides a web-site to control the SONOS system from any intranet browser of the local network.
  • more memory to store more than 65k of title in the music library, and to store the album cover for more reactivity.
  • remote interface (like the playbar) that is dedicated to one zone (a zone is known by configuration).
  • a back-up&restore function on a file sharing due to the size of data of a such SONOS:Birdge
A such new bridge solves many issue of the forum:

18 replies

Userlevel 1
Excellent idea!
Userlevel 1
Badge
good idea. I certainly support it
Userlevel 2
Great idea, but to make it really a Sonos:Bridge 2.0 it will need space for an HDD / SSD so your bridge could also be your "music NAS". Including a no limit library.
Userlevel 3
Badge
A SONOS:BRIDGE 2.0 wont need space for an HDD/SSD if it has a read access for one sharing on a NAS. Like that no space is required for an HDD / SSD. And you can choose the NAS that provides the services that you need (like: Security update of the NAS OS, RAID functions, NFS, Samba, Multimedia protocol, HTTP server, printing server, WebCam recorder...). Because a SONOS NAS will never provide all the service for all customer. And if we can keep as such product affordable, with only software and less hardware limitation.
Userlevel 2
A SONOS:BRIDGE 2.0 wont need space for an HDD/SSD if it has a read access for one sharing on a NAS. Like that no space is required for an HDD / SSD. And you can choose the NAS that provides the services that you need (like: Security update of the NAS OS, RAID functions, NFS, Samba, Multimedia protocol, HTTP server, printing server, WebCam recorder...). Because a SONOS NAS will never provide all the service for all customer. And if we can keep as such product affordable, with only software and less hardware limitation.
I would like the option to attach an HDD / SSD to it or put it in a bridge 2.0. There are a lot of people who don't want a NAS(because of maintaining it). If you could put a HDD / SSD inside a bridge you can place your music on a bridge so you don't need to run a NAS or a PC running al the time. If you do have a NAS, just don't put storage in your bridge and connect your sonos system to your NAS. Just my idea of what could be usefull.
Userlevel 3
Badge
If a storage function is provided by a SONOS:BRIDGE, how do you put mp3 on it ? So maintenance functions are then required for a HDD/SSD Bridge. So your proposal move the administration of a NAS to the administration of a SONOS:BRIDGE 2.0.
Userlevel 2
does this software already exist? could one put it on a Raspberry Pi or other inexpensive hardware?
Userlevel 3
Badge
No, because the API of SONOS is not open today. Some projects may be found on Internet to control SONOS based on reverse engineering, but a lot of functions are missing today. According to me, an official SONOS web server would be better, and always aligned with the Player software versions.
Userlevel 2
Lack of a web based controller is definitely a short fall for this product to allow true multiplatform controller use (think linux, blackberry, chromebook, etc..). I have used purple controller but lack of support for new features is limiting its usefullness. Surely it cannot be that difficult to implement a web based control on a UPNP compliant type device. Come on Sonos your lack of response with respect to this item is disappointing. The Bose and other competitors are certainly closing the gap and have passed you in some respects.
Userlevel 2
Lack of a web based controller is definitely a short fall for this product to allow true multiplatform controller use (think linux, blackberry, chromebook, etc..). I have used purple controller but lack of support for new features is limiting its usefullness. Surely it cannot be that difficult to implement a web based control on a UPNP compliant type device. Come on Sonos your lack of response with respect to this item is disappointing. The Bose and other competitors are certainly closing the gap and have passed you in some respects.
See https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-web-controller  .  This project is getting very close to that vision.  If the Sonos bridge and / or a player can run nodejs then you would be home free.
I support the updated Bridge product/concept to address all features outlined in the original post, I'd certainly purchase it.  However, I also wanted to point out that even existing Bridge products could very likely be retrofitted to support a web-based controller with zero hardware changes...

In order for the existing iOS & Android apps to work a full featured programming interface is needed, so with access to the API and documentation (read: internal Sonos developers) a web interface can be developed to display this same controller data.  Not the ultimate solution originally proposed, but a quick and easy step in the right direction for sure. 
Userlevel 3
Badge
Today, a such product should solve at least 2800 issues (estimation made according to the number of votes in this forum for the ideas listed in the header of this thread).
Userlevel 3
Badge
One more user need a Sonos Web Controller :
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/manage_from_the_web_java_applet
How about the bridge 2.0 having a USB port on the back so you can just plug in an external HD instead of using a NAS.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Why not... But all SONOS players provide unroutable IP address to the computer connected on the Ethernet port, so the NAS won't be accessible by any computer to update the content.
Userlevel 3
Badge
For me, if such a web application need a login or any easy control to check that the user is a real-human and not a 3rd part application (like domotic application), it's ok for me.
Like that the application is not easy to interface for commercial use by unexpected software editor.
I support this idea!
for $600 odd dollars, it's pretty fail that the machines don't have inbuilt web apps.

People at work have been asking for a simple way to stop the music playing when the shop closes.

Haha, I'm a linux user so I'll just continue to turn it off at the power point.