blu-ray player that will decode to DD5.1

• 8 February 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
can someone please just tell me which blu-ray play to buy that will output DD5.1 to my playbar. My only goal is to watch 4K Blu-ray movies in 5.1. i know this issue has been addressed ad nauseam but it seems the more i read the more confused i become. i've also purchased a litany of switches or converters. but according to the app none of them seem to output 5.1. please help. i currently have a playstation 3. does it have the capability? thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
There's a few options but I've gotten the Oppo 203 to work well. It converts dts to dd 5.1 over optical. I run it into an Octava switch, which is ideal for Sonos home theatre users. Recently though I've begun to wonder if I need the switch at all. I realized I may be able to run an HDMI arc from TV into Oppo and optical from Oppo into the Sonos. That or see if the Oppo conversion feature works on HDMI... Not sure.

All that to say... Oppo 203 works well and it's a pretty awesome 4k HDR Blu-ray player. Octava switch is pretty good too. Worth checking out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
If you want a cheaper option then the Samsung M9500 works a treat in my system. HDMI into TV (Sony KD-55XD9305) then TV optical out to Playbar. Samsung have historically been the only manufacturer to provide 'on the fly' conversion of DTS to DD5.1 on a majority of their players as standard. If you only need one HDMI out then the M9000 is an even cheaper option.:D:D
Badge
Nik of Time thanks so much for your suggestion. As opsman as so kindly pointed out i would like a cheaper option. having spent generously on the speaker system i'd rather not spend that much more on a blu-ray player especially since my number one priority is listening to music.
Userlevel 7
I use game consoles for my Blu-Ray players. They typically have the best specs since they are geared for fast frame rates and work with the majority of codecs. I use an xBox and PlayStation 4 _both 2nd generation. There are 3rd party AV remotes available for each to mimic the same navigation of a dedicated Blu-Ray player. An added bonus are the apps you can download to access other video and music sources. Oh...and they are excellent for playing games :8
Badge
If you want a cheaper option then the Samsung M9500 works a treat in my system. HDMI into TV (Sony KD-55XD9305) then TV optical out to Playbar. Samsung have historically been the only manufacturer to provide 'on the fly' conversion of DTS to DD5.1 on a majority of their players as standard. If you only need one HDMI out then the M9000 is an even cheaper option.:D:D

Opsman, I can't get the M9500 to work properly. My setup is similar to your. M9500 via HDMI out to TV but then HDMI ARC to Beam. No matter what I select in the player's audio settings (PCM, Bitstream unrecoded, Bitstream DTS re-encoded, Dolby re-encoded) the TV will only output PCM from that source. All other sources work fine with DD 5.1 output from my TV to the Beam.

I tried both HDMI ARC and the optical adapter but with the M9500 I get only Stereo.... 😠 I am really annoyed by this player. Horrendous wifi performance and then this audio issue. I think the player is broken or something as even switching to DTS re-encoded does not do anything and the TV plays the signal fine even though it should not be able to process DTS....
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Sorry but i've no experience of the 'Beam' but i'm assuming that All your other sources are connected the same way? HDMI into TV then HDMI ARC out to Soundbar?