Blu Ray player that converts to Dolby Digital 5.1

• 24 March 2016
  • 56 replies

Badge +1
I am searching for a Blu Ray player that can convert DTS and other formats to Dolby Digital 5.1., so I can enjoy my DTS Blu Rays with full 5.1. via the Sonos Playbar (+ 2 Play:1). Sonos has recommened a line of Samsung Blu Ray Players in this thread: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945/~/maximizing-playbar-sound-from-your-television

Unfortunately most of these are not on the market anymore.

Can anyone recommend any Blu Ray players that can convert DTS and other formats to Dolby Digital 5.1.?

All Best
Anders, Denmark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Someone mentioned much earlier in this thread (> 1 year ago) that the recommended 4k player models were no longer made.

FYI - for others looking for a solution to the "DTS problem", I just purchased the Samsung UBD-M8500. It has the option to convert DTS audio to Dolby Digital. For this purpose, I recommend this model.
I can _finally_ listen to all of my Blu-ray (and DVD) disks that only have DTS!! (05/21/2019)

For those of us with a lot of DVD and Blu-ray (more than I care to admit) it seems a little absurd to have a $1800 surround sound system and have to go out and spend a couple hundred more if we actually want to _hear_ our DVD's and Blu-rays. < / Whining >

So I'll stop my whining and enjoy the setup!! (For music, the system has been great! Awesome flexibility for multiple rooms with stereo pairing setups!!)

-Brad

Does this decode dts 5.1 and make it playable on sonos in surround (Dolby digital 5.1 presumably)?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Maybe a bit late in this old threat, but Oppo makes (made) some great Blu-Ray players that convert almost everything (both video and audio) in several formats, even over selectable types of connections.
Highly recommended.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Agreed,

I have been through two Oppo's. I send the first one to move up the the UDP(Universal Disc Player)-203.
It decodes everything to what you want. Pam sure they would be hard to find but eBay is always a try or audiogon.com is another place to try. Do your research before purchasing any of the pre-owned players. If you can find an Oppo, I would buy it.
Badge +1

Someone mentioned much earlier in this thread (> 1 year ago) that the recommended 4k player models were no longer made.

FYI - for others looking for a solution to the "DTS problem", I just purchased the Samsung UBD-M8500. It has the option to convert DTS audio to Dolby Digital. For this purpose, I recommend this model.
I can _finally_ listen to all of my Blu-ray (and DVD) disks that only have DTS!! (05/21/2019)

For those of us with a lot of DVD and Blu-ray (more than I care to admit) it seems a little absurd to have a $1800 surround sound system and have to go out and spend a couple hundred more if we actually want to _hear_ our DVD's and Blu-rays. < / Whining >

So I'll stop my whining and enjoy the setup!! (For music, the system has been great! Awesome flexibility for multiple rooms with stereo pairing setups!!)

-Brad
Does this decode dts 5.1 and make it playable on sonos in surround (Dolby digital 5.1 presumably)?
Badge +1

-Brad

That is my assumption. I'm not a real audiophile and have no way of testing.
However, I can say that I went back to a DVD that previously had no sound (through Sonos) and checked that the blu-ray player said it was DTS 7.1.
The audio not only works in Sonos - but it provides the complete surround sound experience. (Tidal wave crashing front to back and helicopters flying from front left to back right -- matching the visuals perfectly!
Badge +1
I was in the same boat until I bought that little German box with the dip switches on it. I at least get a Dolby 5.1 conversion..."

Do you mind sharing what this specifically refers to ("Little German box")? - Thank you.