Answered

Best way to use sub in different rooms?

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies
Hi. I know this subject has been touched upon many times over the years as it seems there’s no way to assign a sub to multiple groups (e.g. one for TV and one for music) but as I have just purchased a Beam for my TV and have a pair of One’s in my kitchen I now need to figure out how to occasionally divert the Sub’s attention from playing music via the One’s (which is the group i have assigned it to) to playing TV via the Beam (for movies etc). What’s the least painful way to do this? Thanks 😀
icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 August 2019, 15:46

There is no easy way. You must remove it from one room and then bond it to the other using the app, which requires you to do the calibration step each time. You will also lose any Trueplay settings, and must do that calibration again also.
View original

11 replies

There is no easy way. You must remove it from one room and then bond it to the other using the app, which requires you to do the calibration step each time. You will also lose any Trueplay settings, and must do that calibration again also.
Thanks jgatie for the quick reply! This sounds like a complete pain! Would it be possible to play the TV sound through the Beam and then add the Kitchen group to this? Obviously the TV sound would then be played through the kitchen as well but could I then reduce the volume on the One’s and keep the Sub volume untouched?
If the Sub is bonded with the Ones, there is no way to turn the volume down on the Ones and keep the volume up on the Sub.
Oh! ☹️ What about just unplugging the One’s? Would the sub still work OK and would the One’s go back to normal as soon as they are plugged back in?
Oh! ☹️ What about just unplugging the One’s? Would the sub still work OK and would the One’s go back to normal as soon as they are plugged back in?

I've never tried it, but I'm pretty sure that since the Ones are the Master units, the Sub will not play without power to the Ones.
Ok.......🧐.....I’ll just give it a try later then 🤞 Your probably right though! Last resort would be to turn the Kitchen group volume down quite low (at least so it wasn’t distracting whilst watching TV in the Living Room) and turn the bass EQ volume up to compensate.....
Update: so I tried all of these ideas last night and nothing worked. With the Ones unplugged the Sub didn’t work. Taking the volume down on the Ones and increasing the bass eq didn’t work. It really seems crazy that I have to go through the entire setup process of the Sub every time I want to use it for movies, especially as the whole point of Sonos is ease of use! Luckily I am still within my 14 day cooling off period so am able to return the Sub and the Beam for a full refund. Not really what I wanted though ☹️
So instead of having a Sub and Beam that you can use with one room permanently, or can switch between the two (albeit awkwardly), you now have neither? Forgive me for saying, but isn't that the very definition of "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

As to Sonos allowing this "easy switch between rooms" feature, one would assume they want you to buy another Sub, they are a for profit company. However, there's a 3rd party app called Sonosequencr that does a bunch of things Sonos does not allow; pairing two unlike speakers, predefined groups, timed grouping, etc. The one thing that app cannot do is easily switch bonded speakers (Sub, stereo pairs, surrounds) from one room configuration to another. If it were possible, they would be doing it, so it appears to be far more difficult to achieve than one would think.
Hi there. It’s just that I only justified the high cost of this setup based on using the Sub for both rooms. It seems like a high cost for something that still doesn’t fit the bill properly. And another £700 for Sub no. 2 is out of the question! I’ll have a go with the app mentioned - thanks!
Hi there. It’s just that I only justified the high cost of this setup based on using the Sub for both rooms. It seems like a high cost for something that still doesn’t fit the bill properly. And another £700 for Sub no. 2 is out of the question! I’ll have a go with the app mentioned - thanks!

Don't bother with the app, I only mentioned it because although it does many things the Sonos app does not, the one thing it cannot do is easily switch the Sub between rooms. Thus pointing to it not being an easy task at all.
Oops just saw your response 🤦‍♂️Tried the app anyway and contacted the developer who confirmed there is no easy way to sequence anything with the sub as the system apparently doesn’t treat it as a separate device but rather part of the existing speaker setup. I guess this is how it can work in unison with the Ones to focus them on the mids and highs while the Sub deals with the bass, as though they are the same device