Answered

Best set up for semi-opened barbecue area: Sonos Beam+sub+2 Ones OR Sonos Amp + Ceiling speakers

• 17 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone, I have a semi-opened backyard barbecue area where I will have a tv and some speakers mainly for YouTube music.There will be a dinner table near the TV. What would be the best arrangement? A Sonos Beam + Sub + 2 Ones for surround OR Sonos Amp + 2 ceiling speakers + 2 ones  OR 2 Sonos Amps + 4 Ceiling speakers? To be honest I find hardwiring of ceiling speakers a messy process.By using Sonos Beam+ Sub + 2 ones I don’t have to drill anything.Besides, I can transport that arrangement around the house ( they will not be permanently located outside).What do you guys think?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 September 2020, 14:27

Sonos products, with the exception of Sonos Move, are not rated for outdoor use.  Understood that you intend to move them inside when not in use, but I think you’ll find this rather cumbersome on a long term basis.   Another factor to consider is that you’re unlikely to see much benefit from a 5.1 home theatre setup outdoors, particularly considering you stated this will be serving a dining area, and your main use will be youtube music (which is not 5.1 and therefore, rear channels will be pretty much unused).

Although I don’t know the size and shape of your space, I would probably go with a single Sonos amp, powering one or two pairs of speakers.  For an indoor space where you’ll be doing ‘serious’ TV watching, the audio should come from the same direction as the TV, but for outdoor, this is much less important IMO.  The speakers should be outdoor rated, and could be in-ceiling, in-wall, or outdoor speakers (on the wall/ceiling), whatever your preference.  A pair will be just fine unless it’s a very large space.  If you can, place the amp somewhere in the house.  If not, there are outdoor enclosures you can get to protect and cool the amp.

Another option is to mount a beam below the TV, and cover it when you cover the TV (assuming that’s your plan.  You’re taking more of a risk of damage here though, and I don’t think it will sound as good as a pair of proper outdoor speakers.

As for a Sub, I wouldn’t bother.

View original

2 replies

Sonos products, with the exception of Sonos Move, are not rated for outdoor use.  Understood that you intend to move them inside when not in use, but I think you’ll find this rather cumbersome on a long term basis.   Another factor to consider is that you’re unlikely to see much benefit from a 5.1 home theatre setup outdoors, particularly considering you stated this will be serving a dining area, and your main use will be youtube music (which is not 5.1 and therefore, rear channels will be pretty much unused).

Although I don’t know the size and shape of your space, I would probably go with a single Sonos amp, powering one or two pairs of speakers.  For an indoor space where you’ll be doing ‘serious’ TV watching, the audio should come from the same direction as the TV, but for outdoor, this is much less important IMO.  The speakers should be outdoor rated, and could be in-ceiling, in-wall, or outdoor speakers (on the wall/ceiling), whatever your preference.  A pair will be just fine unless it’s a very large space.  If you can, place the amp somewhere in the house.  If not, there are outdoor enclosures you can get to protect and cool the amp.

Another option is to mount a beam below the TV, and cover it when you cover the TV (assuming that’s your plan.  You’re taking more of a risk of damage here though, and I don’t think it will sound as good as a pair of proper outdoor speakers.

As for a Sub, I wouldn’t bother.

Many thanks , melvinbe.The area is not completely outdoor and I shall install sliding glass doors in the access to the backyard to prevent from rain. Weatherwise I should be fine as I live in Brazil. The arrangement of the dinner table will be such so that the person sitting on the extreme left hand side of the table would be closer to TV. Perhaps a pair of ceiling speakers is a more pleasant arrangement in terms os sound distribution, but the downside is that it requires hardwiring/ installer and I would prefer keeping it wireless, because that’s what Sonos is all about. I will put some thought in it.Thanks!