Question

Best Product for Voice/Dialogue Clarity

• 19 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

I am debating between the PlayBase and Beam.  I know the PlayBase will be a bit better quality otherwise, but voice/dialogue clarity is very important to me.  It is the reason I am buying a new solution (I currently have a Sony soundbase).  Form factor does not matter...either one of those two products would work.  The Alexa would be nice to have, but it’s not critical.  It all boils down to this one question:  I know the Beam is a newer product.  Does it have improvements that offer better voice/dialogue quality than the PlayBase, or would I be best off to get the PlayBase?  If the Beam is better, I value that more, but if not, I would go with the PlayBase because of the general better sound.  Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Both of them have pretty great sound. The Playbase has a bit more bass to it, but it is designed not to muddle the voices. Also, all Sonos home theater products are capable of turning on the Speech Enhancement mode, which kicks up the voices a little more.

Personally, I’d probably recommend a Beam, which makes it easier to put some of the savings toward a Sub to bond with it, or surrounds. Ultimately, I think both will serve you well though.

Maybe the community will have some more suggestions :) 

Badge

Both of them have pretty great sound. The Playbase has a bit more bass to it, but it is designed not to muddle the voices. Also, all Sonos home theater products are capable of turning on the Speech Enhancement mode, which kicks up the voices a little more.

Personally, I’d probably recommend a Beam, which makes it easier to put some of the savings toward a Sub to bond with it, or surrounds. Ultimately, I think both will serve you well though.

Maybe the community will have some more suggestions :) 

Really appreciate the input and being the first to offer feedback!  :)