Answered

Beam, wireless or not?

• 6 December 2019
  • 9 replies

It is very frustrating when there seems to be no place except here to speak to someone about this $400 system I purchased, and that one must go through these steps/hoops in hopes of getting a question answered from someone at Sonos. Unless there is no one, and Sonos relies on its product owners to be its free, voluntary support staff. If that’s the case, how interesting, and disappointing. When setting up the Beam, I connected it to the router. The step process said it is now connected and you can move it around the room. That implies it is wireless. However, when I disconnect, there is no sound. Then in another part of the directions, its state,s connected it to the HDMI ARC port. I did, and there is sound. I know I’ve asked this before, but even this site is confusing to me. Why must I keep asking the same question? Because this site says “you didn’t choose a topic” even though there is no box that says “choose a topic.”

I chose a topic: Beam: wireless or not? Hoping for an answer. 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 December 2019, 15:51

In order to get TV sound, the Beam must be connected via HDMI-ARC (or the optical adapter) using a cable.

View original

9 replies

In order to get TV sound, the Beam must be connected via HDMI-ARC (or the optical adapter) using a cable.

And, that means the directions I saw flash by saying I could now move the speaker anywhere in the room is false/incorrect. Correct?

I also own a Play 5. I’m told that’s wireless. Or, if i swapped it out, would I also need to connect via the ARC port on the new LG OLED tv?

I also own a Play 5. I’m told that’s wireless. Or, if i swapped it out, would I also need to connect via the ARC port on the new LG OLED tv?

Now you are being a little silly.  The Play:5 doesn’t even have an HDMI-ARC connection.

The Beam is meant to be a TV speaker.  It is meant to be placed where the TV is.  Why would anyone want to move it elsewhere? 

Well, let’s see. Perhaps i want to move it to the side of the room. Behind me, etc. I’m not being “silly” at all, and I’m sorry that you feel that way. I’m trying to get answers/and more questions answered. You’ve answered one, that the Beam needs to be connected. I explained what I saw flash across my phone Re the Beam setup, saying it could now be moved anywhere in the room. That obviously is incorrect, you answer. 

And, expressing a bit of frustration here. And my comment about the Play 5 has nothing to do with ARC. It has to do with whether I can instead use it as a “wireless” speaker on this TV in place of the Beam if i wish. 

Here are Sonos Support’s Contact details

https://www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options%23

Well, let’s see. Perhaps i want to move it to the side of the room. Behind me, etc. I’m not being “silly” at all, and I’m sorry that you feel that way. I’m trying to get answers/and more questions answered. You’ve answered one, that the Beam needs to be connected. I explained what I saw flash across my phone Re the Beam setup, saying it could now be moved anywhere in the room. That obviously is incorrect, you answer. 

And, expressing a bit of frustration here. And my comment about the Play 5 has nothing to do with ARC. It has to do with whether I can instead use it as a “wireless” speaker on this TV in place of the Beam if i wish. 

Wired/Wireless refers to network connection, not TV connection.  The HDMI-ARC connection is to get TV audio to the Beam.

The Beam is a TV speaker.  You put it with the TV.

The Play:5 is not a TV speaker.  You can put it anywhere you like if it is connected wirelessly, i.e. not wired to your router.

OA, a disappointing experience here, which I hope to pass on to Mr Robot/Sonos, via your link, thanks for supplying. Advice for the future: less snark, more info. Thanks. Jgatie’s reply was the most helpful one. Straightforward, no sidebars. 

OA, a disappointing experience here, which I hope to pass on to Mr Robot/Sonos, via your link, thanks for supplying. Advice for the future: less snark, more info. Thanks. Jgatie’s reply was the most helpful one. Straightforward, no sidebars. 

I was just trying to give brief factual information in response to your evident misunderstandings.  Whatever.