Question

Beam TV Requirements

• 17 November 2019
  • 2 replies

I’ve minimal knowledge on these things so please be gentle with me.

I have 5 x Sonos Play:1 speakers, two of which are installed currently as a stereo pair in my living room.

I also use 3 Echo dots to occasionally control the Sonos speakers but more often the Sonos app.
I would like help please, because I need to buy a new TV and would also like to get a Sonos Beam to install with my Play:1 stereo pair so that I can get surround sound – I’ve read on the blog that I need a TV that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources.  So that’s OK.

I’ve also been advised to buy an Android TV which is fine but I don’t want to mess too much with the way I currently use my Sonos speakers (Alexa etc).

Q. Are there any pointers to the technology I should look for please?  Also, any other suggestions/tips would be most welcome, thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

For the Beam, your best bet is a TV with at least one HDMI-ARC port. Or, failing that, an optical port will work as well. Honestly, unless you’re buying a “fell off the back of the truck” cheap knockoff device, it would be hard to find a TV without at least one of those two.

Honestly, that’s about all you need to look for. Even TVs with “smart” remotes should have an IR option, but if you’re connecting via HDMI-ARC, even that’s not an issue, as the TV will send the commands to the Beam. 

Thanks