Beam + .... Sub or 2x Play:1

• 29 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Got a Beam. It sounds much thinner than my LG bar+sub that was 1/3 price 3 years ago. Quite disappointing really. I know it doesn’t have a sub, but considering it’s 3 times the price I’d expect it to be better.

So now I need to either return it or bulk it up with a sub or 2x play:1. Which is better? I’m guessing the sub, but it seems even more overpriced than the beam. I could get 5 play:1’s for the price of one sub 😞

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes I was disappointed in the beam as a stand alone speaker.

Your cheapest alternative would be trade the beam for the Playbar or Playbase (much better sound).

As far as next step from Beam - if music a priority I would go a pair of Play:1s. The 3 together in full mode for music are really good.

If TV sound is priority a Sub will add a lot to the Beam.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ive just added a Beam with 2 Play 1s, very happy with it, no sub required.
Do the 2 surrounds manage to add any bass in some way. I am leaning towards the 2 surrounds due to being nearly 1/4 price of a single sub, but my wife would notice the surrounds lol
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
From what I’ve listened to I would say the base is coming from the Beam rather than the surrounds.
I just replaced a Samsung soundbar and sub with a beam and 2 play 1’s. I admit when I first set up the beam alone it sounded a bit thin but turn up the bass in the app and add 2 play 1’s I’m completely blown away. Genuinely see no need for a sub especially at that price. Honestly couldn’t be happier with the 5.0 system running on the beam
Nice. Do you play mainly music or movies? And is that with the surrounds on full or surround mode
Mainly tv and movies. Gave it a good test run watching Jason Bourne on Netflix and with the Liverpool arsenal game last night and both sounded amazing. I have the 2 play 1’s set as rear surround speakers so 5.0 setup and as I said i cranked up the bass in the sonos app eq settings and honestly couldn’t be happier with it