Question

Beam - stop "Not Available" message on Samsung TV when using remote

• 13 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi

I've got a Beam connected via Optical. It's being controlled by my TV remote. 

TV is SAMSUNG model PS43D490A1WXXU

Every time I change the volume of the Beam using the Samsung remote the TV has a "Not Available" message. This is because the TV speakers are turned off. 

I've looked at the following link but it only provides instructions for Samsung One Remote, not a standard Samsung TV remote.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2072?language=en_US

Would really like to turn off the "Not Available" message every time I change the volume.

Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ask Samsung. You are using optical, so there is no electrical connection between your Beam and your TV. Your TV is generating that message, so your TV manufacturer should be able to tell you how to turn it off.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @RossL, welcome to the Sonos Community! Thanks for bringing this up and I’ll be happy to help you out. 

First, have you done the steps in the article about using a Samsung One Remote with Sonos home theater speakers? Maybe you just need to reconfigure to eliminate that because it will always depend on our TV manufacturer. If still the same, reach out to Samsung and maybe they have any workaround to prevent that or maybe some other user here can share something if they have also experienced it. 

Let us know how it goes. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi @Krishma M

As you will note from my first message, I already linked to the same article you had linked to. 

That link is for the Samsung ONE REMOTE, only. 

It is not for a normal IR remote, which is what I have.

Hopefully someone might have more information for me. 

I operate my older Samsung TV with a Comcast/Xfinity remote.  I get the same message on my TV screen. Please let me know if you figure out how to get rid of the Not Available message.  Thanks!!

At the moment, both your TV and Sonos Playbar/Beam/whatever are set to respond to the same IR code.  This is unavoidable if you want a single remote to control volume on the Playbar and still operate other functions on the TV.  The TV still picks up the volume commands.  You could get a cheap universal remote and use that for Playbar volume only.  Not ideal but possibly easier than opening the app.

I think I got round this in the past using a Logitech Harmony programmable remote, which allows you to specify which device to use for which function.  But I had other reasons for using that and it would be an expensive solution to your current issue.