Beam + play 1's wow!

• 16 August 2018
  • 26 replies

I recently replaced a 5.1 system with a Beam and was a bit underwhelmed. I added two play 1 speakers and the difference is amazing. Both with music and tv, i feel like i am in an envelope of sound. Great clarity at all volume levels. I wish there was a cheaper alternative for a sub. That would be a nice addition

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I recently replaced a 5.1 system with a Beam and was a bit underwhelmed. I added two play 1 speakers and the difference is amazing. Both with music and tv, i feel like i am in an envelope of sound. Great clarity at all volume levels. I wish there was a cheaper alternative for a sub. That would be a nice addition

That's great to hear. Do you have a favorite film or show to show off the speakers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

The sub for $699 is pretty high when the Beam is $399. I'm sure Sonos is aware of this. There are rumors of a new sub under development but who knows.
I just got a Beam and am going to go ahead and get a couple Sonos Ones. According to What Hi Fi's review says get two 1's or Ones before the sub.
I don't care about music quality with Sonos, I use a stereo set of HomePods for that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hey guys I have a Playbar sub and two play1s I just thought I would say the reason I went for play1s rather than the one. Is because mine are mounted in the corners of the room so Alexa may work up there but dust wud settle on the top that’s my thinking anyway. And for an extra 50 pound per speaker I didn’t see the point when an alexa dot is only 34 pound and I had one anyway.
However the one does have air play 2 where the play 1 doesn’t
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I like the way the Sonos Ones look and they match the Beam better and if I ever decide to use them for something else I have more flexibility. Worth the minor extra cost to me.
Badge
Can you switch back and forth from it acting like rear speakers for surround sound and use them as stereo speakers for music?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Can you switch back and forth from it acting like rear speakers for surround sound and use them as stereo speakers for music?

You would have to ungroup them to do that unfortunately.
Badge

You would have to ungroup them to do that unfortunately.

So I can’t use them as regular Bluetooth speakers for music AND as rear speakers for surround sound?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Well they don't do bluetooth...
I don't actually know if you can airplay just to them though.
I don't think so if they are part of a group but not sure.
Badge
Well they don't do bluetooth...
I don't actually know if you can airplay just to them though.
I don't think so if they are part of a group but not sure.

I’m sorry I meant through Alexa

I want to be able to play music through them, and also use them as rear speakers for surround

Is that possible?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
You can set them to full to use them as stereo speakers for music, but they will still be bonded to the beam/bar/base. You wouldn't be able to use them independently unless you unbond them, and then would need to go through the full HT setup each time you want to use it as surround for TV.
Badge
You can set them to full to use them as stereo speakers for music, but they will still be bonded to the beam/bar/base. You wouldn't be able to use them independently unless you unbond them, and then would need to go through the full HT setup each time you want to use it as surround for TV.

Thanks!

So if they are set to full, they work as stereo speakers with the beam for music, but as rear surrounds with tv?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
That is correct
Badge
If I have this set up, the beam and 2 play 1’s, is it loud enough to fill a first floor of a house with sound for music?

And if it’s bonded with the beam, and I say Alexa volume up or down, it will change in the play:1’s right?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It would depend on the size, but unless it's really large you should be ok. I had stereo play 1's that had no problem filling my space, with the beam really filling it out nicely
Badge
It would depend on the size, but unless it's really large you should be ok. I had stereo play 1's that had no problem filling my space, with the beam really filling it out nicely

Thank you

So if the play 1’s with the beam are bonded, do all voice controls to the beam work with the play 1’s too as far as volume up and down?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Yes, they would be treated as one unit.
How is music stereo separation with the one's set to Full? I'm trying to figure out how decent the separation would be knowing that the Beam is also playing?

Thanks.
Badge
How is music stereo separation with the one's set to Full? I'm trying to figure out how decent the separation would be knowing that the Beam is also playing?

Thanks.

I’m hoping when I install it just sounds like 3 speakers playing the music lol so hopefully good

Thanks.

I’m hoping when I install it just sounds like 3 speakers playing the music lol so hopefully good

Please let us know. The one's should have some stereo separation to them alone I guess.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The ones will have true separation since it is coming from two speakers. The beam alone does a good job but it can only do so much within its compact single unit enclosure. Together, they will produce a very nice sound.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hey guys after purchasing two play 5s and setting them as surrounds with playbar and sub. And set to full for music I am more than happy. However after researching some more I believe that when any speakers are bonded with playbar/playbase/beam then you do not get true stereo separation from your rear speakers. The playbar/playbase/beam gives the speakers a dedicated left and right channel. Is this correct?
Hey guys after purchasing two play 5s and setting them as surrounds with playbar and sub. And set to full for music I am more than happy. However after researching some more I believe that when any speakers are bonded with playbar/playbase/beam then you do not get true stereo separation from your rear speakers. The playbar/playbase/beam gives the speakers a dedicated left and right channel. Is this correct?
For music playing you get full stereo out of the rear surrounds when you set them to 'Full" .. goto the playbar/playbase/beam 'room settings' in the Sonos App and select 'Advanced Audio/Surround Settings and switch ‘Music Playback' from 'Ambient' to 'Full'.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi ken. According to Sonos when I asked the question they stated that you will not get true stereo sound from speakers set as rears on a 5.1 set up. Even with them set to full on music playback. To most people there will be no difference in sound but in a 5.1 setup the playbar/base/beam give the rears a dedicated left and right channel. If you unpair everything and just pair play 5s with sub you can tell the difference all be it a small one but definitely a difference
Hi ken. According to Sonos when I asked the question they stated that you will not get true stereo sound from speakers set as rears on a 5.1 set up. Even with them set to full on music playback. To most people there will be no difference in sound but in a 5.1 setup the playbar/base/beam give the rears a dedicated left and right channel. If you unpair everything and just pair play 5s with sub you can tell the difference all be it a small one but definitely a differenceI assume that’s because of the centre channel in the mix and the fact the two front channels are also lacking in separation, I’m not really an audiophile, so I doubt I would be able to tell, other than the overall separation of the sound. I have 4 (2 x stereo pairs) Sonos speakers in my lounge, two in front and two either side of the sofa and the separation is really apparent, whereas I have a Beam and two Play:1’s in the dining room 5.0 setup, but with no Sub and I’m quite happy to sit in either room and listen to the music from either setup.

I am waiting for the next gen PlayBar and will probably then alter my lounge to a 5.1 setup too, as it’s both great for TV and music without having to change their configuration. I guess it’s each to there own with these things.

My kitchen is 'L' shaped, for example, so I’ve opted for three speakers in there that are simply 'grouped' as that setup sounded better that having a separated stereo pair in the mix.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

The sub for $699 is pretty high when the Beam is $399. I'm sure Sonos is aware of this. There are rumors of a new sub under development but who knows.
I just got a Beam and am going to go ahead and get a couple Sonos Ones. According to What Hi Fi's review says get two 1's or Ones before the sub.
I don't care about music quality with Sonos, I use a stereo set of HomePods for that.

I would absolutely buy if Sonos has a smaller Sub to pair with the Beam, hope the rumours are true 🙂 Anyone has a Beam in a 5.1 setup and kindly let me know how is it overall? I have Beam connected to Play 3s as surrounds and love the audio but bit hesitant to add the Sub as my living area is not massive and it is bit pricey in Australia 999$.