beam not coming on when cec turned on

• 8 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi , I turn off CEC at night so that we can use the TV speakers ( soaps for the wife ) and when I come down in the morning and turn on CEC it doesn't turn on audio through the bar , I have to go in sound settings and choose hdmi . If CEC is on and I turn it off then put it back on a few minutes later sound comes out of the beam fine , just wondering why if it's left along time it doesn't trigger or wake the beam , thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Doing what you do every day qualifies you for husband of the year and beyond 😂

Regarding your wife not liking the sound of the Beam for soaps…

What size room and ceiling height is the Beam located 

Have you turned on speech enhancement

Have you used Trueplay with an iOS device to tune the Beam to the room

At a cost you might consider a Sonos sub to manage the low end thus allowing the Beam to better handle the Mids  (dialog) and Highs. You can find good deals on used Sonos subs on eBay. Just make sure it is a Gen2 or Gen3. In a price push you can settle for a Gen1.

Haha iam yes !!! 🤣 

She basically says there's no real need for it when just watching soaps , she watched the Adele concert and had the beam nearly full blast lol 

Me ....I'd have it on all the time and I will tomorrow because I'm on my day off 

As for the bass , there's plenty enough for my liking and as I bought it that's what matters lol 

Speach is way better than my Yamaha bar and the mids are clearer than my Yamaha too 

Not tried trueplay yet as there's a Christmas tree in the room so I'm waiting until that has gone to do t.p .

Lastly can I just say I know I've asked a fair few questions lately , it's only because I wanna get the beam set correctly so thank you all for replying and helping , much appreciated .

Userlevel 7

Doing what you do every day qualifies you for husband of the year and beyond 😂

Regarding your wife not liking the sound of the Beam for soaps…

What size room and ceiling height is the Beam located 

Have you turned on speech enhancement

Have you used Trueplay with an iOS device to tune the Beam to the room

At a cost you might consider a Sonos sub to manage the low end thus allowing the Beam to better handle the Mids  (dialog) and Highs. You can find good deals on used Sonos subs on eBay. Just make sure it is a Gen2 or Gen3. In a price push you can settle for a Gen1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

As I understand it the handshake between your TV and the Beam does not take place by just starting CEC - it needs an extra step.

Just curious: what exactly does your wife not like about the Beam that she prefers the TV speakers (which are mostly rubbish)?

That extra step being me going in to the sound setting and selecting " hdmi " ??

Ive just put CEC on this morning and the beam didn't come on so I clicked hdmi in sound setting , it came on .

I've turned CEC off again because I've gone to work for the day left TV on and using TV speakers , if I go home and turn on CEC the beam won't come on even though the TV has been on all day , I presume that is the CEC not remembering it's setting ? 

The wife just doesn't like that full on sound I think , me I love it , beam and surround sounds awesome but she just likes basic . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it the handshake between your TV and the Beam does not take place by just starting CEC - it needs an extra step.

Just curious: what exactly does your wife not like about the Beam that she prefers the TV speakers (which are mostly rubbish)?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

The CEC is working as it should. The TV doesn’t have memory to know to reinitialize the previous settings. It has to learn or reset the handshake to the Beam.

The TV not having a memory is why then after along period of time that the CEC is off that it doesn't turn on the beam , basically it's forgotten about it ?? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

One question…why is it necessary to turn off the CEC (or rather disengage the Beam) for soap operas?

Its because the wife doesn't want the beam on all the time , only use it for movies and music 

Userlevel 7

One question…why is it necessary to turn off the CEC (or rather disengage the Beam) for soap operas?

Userlevel 7

The CEC is working as it should. The TV doesn’t have memory to know to reinitialize the previous settings. It has to learn or reset the handshake to the Beam.