Beam keeps playing after tv is off

• 4 January 2019
  • 34 replies

Badge +1
Hi all

any ideas

when i turn the tv off with the remote or when i ask alexa to do so, pithing seconds the beam continues to play the tv audio

any ideas why this is?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Leeharl86

Do you have your Beam connected to the HDMI_ARC port on your TV or through another device?
sure you have the Beam connected to your TV or is it connected to your decoder?
Badge +1
i have the HDMI cable in the arc import
That's odd. And we're talking about it continuing to play the sound from the TV, and not music that you're streaming, correct?
Userlevel 7
i have the HDMI cable in the arc import

OK...that doesn't answer the question...

Is the HDMI cable plugged into your TV or your Cable Box (decoder)?
Badge +1
sorry its plugged into the tv.
i had it in my old lg tv and it was fine
I've recently upgrading my lg tv now i get this problem
Badge +1
yes continues to play the tv channel i just had on
Userlevel 7
Hi Leeharl86

Unfortunately I'm going to have to say that the problem is not with your Beam but with your LG and or how you have your connections with your cable box. I'm leaning more toward the latter. The Beam has no way of intercepting a closed loop signal that is coming from your ISP and/or Cable provider.

However, there is an exception and that is when you are dealing with Over The Air (OTA) programing. Under extreme circumstances and all the planets aligning correctly it might be possible for the Beam to pick up an audio signal. Here in the USA the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandates the following for all consumer electronics :

Federal Communications Commission Radio Frequency Interference
Statemen
t
This device complies with Part 15 of FCC Rules and Industry Canada's licence-exempt RSSs. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) this device may not cause interference, and
(2) this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of this
device.

So, unless all you watch is OTA the likelihood of the Beam being at fault IMO is highly unlikely.

Th next time your issue occurs (TV audio being heard after the TV is turned off) please unplug the cable box to see if the TV audio ceases. If it does then you know what component is causing the problem or where to start. A couple more questions....

1. Are you using any type on audio converter or switch in conjunction with your LG, Beam and/or Cable box?
2. Are you using AppleTV for your programing content (in lieu of a cable provider)?

Please post back if you are stilling having the issue and even if it is resolved as I'd like to know what was causing the problem and how it was resolved.

Cheers!
Badge +1
hi thanks for the reply
I don't use any cable box or any converters. i watch freesat which is built in to the tv. so i have the HDMI from the tv into the beam.
interestingly though ive only just upgraded my tv and i didn't get this problem before so i didn't think it would be the beam.
maybe a setting on the tv?
I have a similar problem. I have recently purchased a LG C8 OLED TV and a Sonos Beam which is connected to the HDMI ARC socket. I also have a FreeSat Humax HDR 1100S, an older generation Apple TV and a Panasonic Blu-ray player connected to the other 3 HDMI sockets. Finally I have connected a strip of LED backlights to one of the USB sockets on the TV. When I use the TV remote to turn off the TV the screen goes black and the sound from the Beam initially stops. However, after about 5 seconds the sound from the Beam returns. This is usually the sound from the last channel I was watching on the TV but can also be the sound from a completely different channel. The LED backlight is still on at his stage. After a time of anything from about 20 seconds to up to 6 minutes the TV will finally complete its shutdown with the Beam going quiet and the LED lights turning off. Prior to switching off the TV I have been watching a TV channel using the TV internal tuner and the 3 HDMI connected devices are switched off.
Hi there,

did anyone get this sussed...? My Beam is straight into the TV (LG) seems to be playing on for longer and longer after I’ve turned the tv off... 😤
Userlevel 7
@Ginge72

Assuming the LG is working properly try turning off your decoder box (i.e. the box provided by your ISP). If the noise stops then that is what you need to do going forward.
I'd also be checking in the TV's settings for a firmware update.
not sure what you mean by decoder box... beam is plugged into the wall and the tv.. it’s not even connected to the WiFi (Sonos app cant find the beam, but it was doing the extended sound when it was connected)

as with the earlier posts, didn’t do it with my 3 year old LG, just the new one 🥴
The decoder box is the cable box. Or whatever device you're using to feed the signal to the TV.
The tv is WiFi enabled, I don’t have a box... the router has been disconnected and reconnected whilst trying to get the App to find the Beam, so no change on that.. tv has been reset and updated
So your source is a physical antenna?

It sounds to me like it's an issue with the TV. When you turn off the TV, it should be turning off any thing that's running through it, including HDMI-ARC and any optical output, since those devices shouldn't be getting any power from the TV at that point. It sounds like, for reasons I can't understand, your TV is keeping these external processes going. It's most mystifying. I'd be calling LG.
Thank you 😁
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I'll chime in here and I say I also get this with my new (non OLED) LG TV when using Freesat using the built in tuner. Beam is connected from the TV ARC port with HDMI and the TV channels are from the built in Freesat decoder so no external boxes feeding the TV. 

Get about 5-10 seconds of continued audio. 

I would assume the TV has it buffered and continues to output after the TV is put onto standby. It can't be anything else. 

LG TVs seems to be pretty buggy and don't play well with the Beam. But that's the LGs fault. 

I still do have the exact same problem with my sonos beam in combination with my LG OLED C8. Both have been updated to the latest firmware. 

Problem: The beam is directly connected too the LG via ARC. When I'm watching satellite TV and switch the TV off, the beam goes silent. After a couple of seconds the beam starts to play the sound from the last channel I watched on the TV while the TV stays black. The sound plays for a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes. After that there is a very loud beep and the beam goes silent. 

Cause: I think the LGs pixel refresh is what causes this behavior. When the LG TV is switched off it will start its pixel refresh program. For some reason the LG outputs sound to the beam while the screen stays black. As stated above the sound is played as long as the pixel refresh takes. 

Solution: Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one. I searched the internet and tried some stuff myself. So far. Nothing worked. Probably this issue can only be solved by a firmware update from LG…

Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

I’d agree with your thought process. Have you contacted LG’s customer service? What did they say?

I still do have the exact same problem with my sonos beam in combination with my LG OLED C8. Both have been updated to the latest firmware. 

Problem: The beam is directly connected too the LG via ARC. When I'm watching satellite TV and switch the TV off, the beam goes silent. After a couple of seconds the beam starts to play the sound from the last channel I watched on the TV while the TV stays black. The sound plays for a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes. After that there is a very loud beep and the beam goes silent. 

Cause: I think the LGs pixel refresh is what causes this behavior. When the LG TV is switched off it will start its pixel refresh program. For some reason the LG outputs sound to the beam while the screen stays black. As stated above the sound is played as long as the pixel refresh takes. 

Solution: Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one. I searched the internet and tried some stuff myself. So far. Nothing worked. Probably this issue can only be solved by a firmware update from LG…

Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

In the TV “settings/sound/sound-out /HDMI-ARC”.. do you have the digital sound/out on the HDMI-ARC Port set to “Pass Through”? .. if so, switch it to Auto instead and see if that solves the issue for you.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

For digital sound out I can only choose between "Automatic" and "PCM". I already had it set to automatic. So unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem

I take it that switching it to PCM, (just temporary) as a quick test, doesn’t fix it either?

I have the LG C9 TV and the instructions in my previous post fixes the matter as it’s stops the pass-through of the audio.

Just to add though that the pass-through of audio on the port is the best option anyway, as otherwise the TV ‘checks’ and where necessary will transcode the audio signal, which can slow down the audio output through the HDMI-ARC port.

I set the digital out from "automatic" to "PCM" and did a couple of tests. Unfortunately the problem still remains. In each test the beam would be playing the sound of the current channel after the LG TV had been shut off. Same behavior as if the digital out was set to "automatic".

Also the beam only receives a stereo signal when the digital out is set to "PCM". So it wouldn't be a permanent solution even if it worked. 

Guess I can't do much else than to wait for an LG firmware that fixes this issue. My current workaround is to set the LG TV to mute before I switch it off...