Answered

Beam IR sensor stopped recognizing remotes

I have a beam connected to optical on TV. Remote was paired and everything was working fine. One day remote volume control stopped working. I tried to set up the remote again but the IR sensor did not recognize when buttons were pushed. Tried a different remote and it didn't recognize that either. I can still control volume with the app but IR sensor does not seem to receive any signal. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 February 2020, 03:30

View original

95 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That suggests the two remotes are using similar, but not the same IR codes. Sonos can work with any single set, you’d need to reprogram the second remote to use the same IR codes that the first is.

Once you have reprogrammed both remotes, then use the Sonos software to retrain the Beam. It might also be worth checking the batteries in both remotes, and that there is nothing potentially obstructing the Beam’s IR receiver. 

Are you a shill for Sonos? If you're not getting paid, then you're working for free.

How do you explain everything working correctly immediately after a power sync?

******** case

Can Sonos please acknowledge this problem. It is being totally ignored or fobbed off.

Mod Edit: Identifying information removed

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dchighpoint 

For your existing case, I can only recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team to complete troubleshooting.

Have done.

Wow. First time Sonos user here. Bought for 450 euro and had this problem after a couple of hours. A hard reset is an unacceptable solution. I am returning this product and will switch to another brand.

They are replacing mine. Will let you know if it solves it.

I updated my Beam last week - now running 13.1.1 (build 63289260) and no longer have ths issue that has plagued me for nearly six months. Works flawlessly now. Nervous to say so in case I jinx it but I was all about ready to get rid of the damn thing so hope this is indeed a permanent fix. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ScottyNic 

Thanks for sharing that, and I’m glad to hear it!

I tested it again as well today -- version 13.1.3. No luck here.

Set up everything using IR, watch TV, increase/decrease volume via IR remote worked, switched to playing something on Spotify using the Sonos app, and then turning on TV again (which outputted TV sound to the Beam) stops the Beam from receiving any IR commands from the remote. Very reproducible..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nvc 

Earlier, you mentioned using a nVidia Shield remote. Although the Shield itself has an IR detector (so it can be used with other remotes), the Shield remote doesn’t transmit IR. Therefore, the Beam cannot detect it. CEC will be needed for remote commands to function in this case, and CEC is only available via an HDMI connection, not the optical connection.

As CEC is being used, and it sounds like the remote functions until the TV goes off and on again, I first recommend you unplug the TV from power for at least 30 seconds. If that doesn’t help, then please repeat but while the TV is off, disconnect all HDMI devices apart from the Beam and Shield. Test and if all goes well, connect the other HDMI devices back to the TV one at a time and test each time until you’ve found the device causing the problem. Disable CEC on this device. If you are unable to disable, you will need to get a CEC-less adaptor to strip the CEC channel from the connection.

If, however, you’re not using the Shield remote but a IR remote instead, then the IR commands are being blocked by the active HDMI connection, by design. In other words, when the TV is on and the Beam is connected to it via HDMI, IR commands are ignored by the Beam. You could connect the Beam to the TV with the optical adaptor instead - this would result in the Beam never ignoring the IR commands, but you would lose voice control of the TV’s power in this case (unless the TV has it’s own voice control, of course). There would be no reduction in TV sound quality from the Beam while using the optical connection, but you may need to tell the TV not to use it’s own speakers.

I hope this helps

Hi @Nvc 

Earlier, you mentioned using a nVidia Shield remote. Although the Shield itself has an IR detector (so it can be used with other remotes), the Shield remote doesn’t transmit IR. Therefore, the Beam cannot detect it. CEC will be needed for remote commands to function in this case, and CEC is only available via an HDMI connection, not the optical connection.

As CEC is being used, and it sounds like the remote functions until the TV goes off and on again, I first recommend you unplug the TV from power for at least 30 seconds. If that doesn’t help, then please repeat but while the TV is off, disconnect all HDMI devices apart from the Beam and Shield. Test and if all goes well, connect the other HDMI devices back to the TV one at a time and test each time until you’ve found the device causing the problem. Disable CEC on this device. If you are unable to disable, you will need to get a CEC-less adaptor to strip the CEC channel from the connection.

If, however, you’re not using the Shield remote but a IR remote instead, then the IR commands are being blocked by the active HDMI connection, by design. In other words, when the TV is on and the Beam is connected to it via HDMI, IR commands are ignored by the Beam. You could connect the Beam to the TV with the optical adaptor instead - this would result in the Beam never ignoring the IR commands, but you would lose voice control of the TV’s power in this case (unless the TV has it’s own voice control, of course). There would be no reduction in TV sound quality from the Beam while using the optical connection, but you may need to tell the TV not to use it’s own speakers.

I hope this helps

Hi, thanks for the explanation! But I’m not sure you’re right -- I have the latest Nvidia Shield and the remote does indeed have an IR blaster:

SHIELD Remote
> Microphone for voice search and commands
> Motion-activated backlit buttons
> Bluetooth connectivity
> IR blaster for control of volume and power on TVs, soundbars, or receivers
> Remote locator for finding a lost remote 
> 2x AAA batteries included

It works initially, I see the light on top of the Beam blink when I press volume up or down. But when I play music through the Sonos app and then turn my tv back on, the Beam switches to TV audio (so it seems it detected the sound coming from the optical port) but the light on the Beam no longer blinks if I press volume up or down.

I’ll try with the TV remote, maybe it has a stronger signal.

I still believe the Beam is at fault -- when I do a power cycle, it received IR commands again...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nvc 

Apologies -  as I had checked the Remote settings on my own Shield and didn’t find any IR reference, I presumed there wasn’t an IR function. It turns out it’s in the Display & Sound section, for some reason.

So your Beam is already connected via optical? That would negate the rest of what I said previously.

I can only recommend you get in touch with our technical support team and make all of this clear to them at the start. I wouldn’t expect an immediate fix, but as it’s an unknown situation it will at least get flagged for investigation. If the Beam IR function doesn’t work even at very short range, be sure to mention this early. I would test it myself, but I don’t have a Beam here at home.

I still believe the Beam is at fault -- when I do a power cycle, it received IR commands again...

Given that only the Beam and remote are involved, I’d be inclined to agree with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi again @Nvc 

I’ve had a discussion with a colleague on this since my last post.

We recommend you connect your Beam to the TV with HDMI, if that’s an option, so that IR is no longer relevant (though I guess that would prevent volume control of music via the remote while the TV is off - it really depends on the TV).

Also, or alternatively, you could try programming the Beam to use a different remote - see if that works more reliably or differently. If you like the Shield remote as much as I do, this less than ideal, but it will at least let us narrow down the possibilities.

Note that if you do both of these - connect Beam to HDMI and program it to use another remote - you’d only need to use the alternate remote when the TV is off (probably).

Please keep me updated on how you get on. Thanks.

Same issue. Happens almost like clock work every few months.

I found that toggling the “use IR” button in the app then running “remote control setup” worked. 

Badge

Hi. I’ve recently purchased a Beam. Software 13.1.4. Same issue. IR sensor just stops responding. Tried all usual fixes. Only a power cycle works. Any update anyone? It’s really annoying 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mark Huddleston 

If the suggested steps above don’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

What finally worked for me was unpairing my remote from bluetooth.  I realized it was using something other than infrared when it would still control my tv even with my hand in front of it.  Apparently my hisense remote can operate in bluetooth and/or infrared.  I went into my tv settings, remotes and accessories, then unpaired all bluetooth devices, including the remote.  

It’s not uncommon for updates to the software operating the TV, when it updates itself, for it to return the TV and the remote to what the QA or engineering folks think is ‘normal’, reverting any changes you had made to the system. Doesn’t happen frequently, but as you’ve discovered, it does occur. 

Has there been an official fix for this yet. We have installed some Sonos Amps for a client that are connected using the optical to HDMI adaptor for TV sound. They use the Sky Q remote to control the volume which works fine. If they stream music then go back to TV the remote stops controlling the volume. If we power cycle the amps remote control functionality is resumed. We also had some issues with audio dropping when streaming, after a phone call to tech support they advised disconnecting the optical to HDMI adaptor and strangely enough the dropouts disappeared but the whole reason the Sonos Amp was specified for the project was due to the HDMI input. Can someone please advise on this quirk.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Has there been an official fix for this yet. 

No. And there never will be. As far as Sonos are concerned, this issue doesn't even exist. Or at least, if it exists then it's not their problem. I suppose we must all have completely separate, unrelated problems, and the fact that we're all using Sonos products is just a coincidence.