Answered

Beam in motorhome

• 1 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Purchased Sonos Beam for motorhome then realized it requires Wi-Fi network to function. Since motorhome does not have access to a network much of the time is there a way to make it work?
icon

Best answer by Misfit 1 July 2019, 23:41

Technically, it only needs wifi to get set up, once it's set up, it should work (for the TV part) without a network, including connecting to any Sonos surround speakers you have.

Correct.
Once it's set up, you'll be able to use it as a standard "dumb" soundbar. You will need to pair a remote to it during setup though, seeing how you wont be able to use the phone to control the volume. Either an IR remote or the buttons on top of the speaker.

It just won't be able to stream any music without an internet connection....and again, a caveat....you might (and I'm really not sure about this) be able to connect to it using AirPlay 2, so you might be able to stream music from your phone. Definitely will work while connected to wifi, but I'm not sure how AirPlay 2 will react with no wifi. It may not work at all, I can't promise. AirPlay 2 is a confusing (to me) standard of mixed connection profiles.

Wont work. You need WiFi for Airplay.
View original

3 replies

Great. Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Technically, it only needs wifi to get set up, once it's set up, it should work (for the TV part) without a network, including connecting to any Sonos surround speakers you have.

Correct.
Once it's set up, you'll be able to use it as a standard "dumb" soundbar. You will need to pair a remote to it during setup though, seeing how you wont be able to use the phone to control the volume. Either an IR remote or the buttons on top of the speaker.

It just won't be able to stream any music without an internet connection....and again, a caveat....you might (and I'm really not sure about this) be able to connect to it using AirPlay 2, so you might be able to stream music from your phone. Definitely will work while connected to wifi, but I'm not sure how AirPlay 2 will react with no wifi. It may not work at all, I can't promise. AirPlay 2 is a confusing (to me) standard of mixed connection profiles.

Wont work. You need WiFi for Airplay.

One thing to note is that none of the Sonos speakers have a Bluetooth connection available. Some of them do have BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), but that's only for setting up the speaker, and not a means to send music across.