Answered

Beam HDMI with Projector

• 3 December 2018
  • 1 reply

I have sonos equipment and am interested in expanding by adding a beam to my home theater set up. I am wondering if there is any advantage of using the HDMI cable instead of setting it up with just the wifi? The current theater set up has a laptop connected to the project and bluetooth speakers but this arrangement does not handle dialogue well and I am hoping to solve that with the beam. The projector has an HDMI input but not HDMI ARC. Will I need an HDMI splitter if there is an advantage to using a wired set up?
If I added two sonos 1 speakers as part of the theater set up would I be able to use them as mobile speakers in an adjacent bedroom if I wanted or does the surround sound set up make this complicated and require re-tasking the speaker?
Thanks for the help
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 December 2018, 00:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

HDMI and wifi are two separate things. One, which is technically HDMI-ARC, provides the audio channel from what you're watching to the speaker. The other is the connectivity to the internet, and allows you to stream from various third party integrated streams.

If you don't have an HDMI-ARC, then you'll need a splitter. I've never seen one that has HDMI-ARC, although I'll admit to have never looked for one, either. But the grand majority of the ones discussed in this very section of the forum split off the audio into an optical channel, which you can then connect to the Beam as you desire.

The nature of surround speakers is fairly "permanent", it wouldn't be terribly easy to remove them from the surround situation for use elsewhere, and then bring them back and re-bond them as surround speakers. It's possible, sure. Just would be a pain, and certainly not recommended. If you needed a "mobile" speaker, I'd recommend an addition Sonos One (there is no Sonos 1, there's only a Sonos One or a PLAY:1).