Answered

Beam (gen 2) and 2 (OG)Play:1's

• 11 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Just a quick couple of questions. I’ve currently got 2 Play:1’s, Is it possible to pair them with the beam (gen 2) for surround sound? 

Second question is about Airplay 2. Since the Play:1’s don’t have Airplay 2, if I got a Beam (gen 2) and set up the play:1’s, would anything i Airplay to the Beam get sent to the play:1’s too?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by John B 11 January 2022, 15:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes and yes.

Yes to first question, although strictly speaking you are bonding them not pairing them.

For question 2, are you still bonding them, or are you keeping the P:1s as separate room(s)?

I don't think Airplay can carry surround sound formats to non-Apple devices.

If you keep the Play:1s as separate rooms you could Airplay to them by grouping with the Beam.

Yes and yes.

Awesome, thanks! 

One more quick question, a bit more technical. I have a Philips +935 tv. It has its own soundbar, but its so so. Great for music, but not overly amazing for tv and movies, more the soundstage. I’ve never heard anything from the left or right(or up because its an atmos speaker), its more front heavy. So the TV itself has the Atmos codec, but no eArc, just Arc. I’ll still be good for Atmos yeah? Im not too fussed about the TrueHD as i only stream my movies from an apple tv. I’m pretty sure im good for atmos, and 5.1, just wanna make sure. 

Yes to first question, although strictly speaking you are bonding them not pairing them.

For question 2, are you still bonding them, or are you keeping the P:1s as separate room(s)?

I don't think Airplay can carry surround sound formats to non-Apple devices.

If you keep the Play:1s as separate rooms you could Airplay to them by grouping with the Beam.

ah i was meaning for question 2 about bonding them in the same room for 5.1