Answered

Beam entertainment set + 2 SLs

• 21 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,
I’m new to Sonos system and I want to purchase the Beam entertainment set that includes:
1 x Beam
1 x Sub
2 x One SL

And I have 2 questions before I proceed with the purchase.

1) I want to place SLs in front of and left and right of the beam will Sonos system allow me that or they HAVE to be behind me?

My proposal

2) In addition to that I want to put two more SLs behind the couch, is that acceptable by the system so you have a “souround” system?

My main question, because I can’t access the app without speakers is, can you add as many as you like in a room and they all work together correctly?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 October 2020, 20:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

1. Not an optimal setup. The Beam includes three channels, right, center and left. You can not separate these out (like in your example 2). So in order to act as surround speakers, the Sonos Ones would need to be behind your seating area.  You could (and some people do, I think) set them up in front of you, but then that breaks the whole “surround” aspect. They will not act as a wider sound field playing front right and front left. 
  2. See 1. In fact, you can’t add more than the Beam, Sub, and two surrounds to a Sonos “room”, you’d need to set up the extra pair as a separate “room” which would have a slight delay of 75ms when playing the input of the TV. They’d be in sync when playing any streamed music, though. 

Oh, and the one thing I think I should have said is that the Beam is not a center speaker. Nor can it be made one. It always will have all three front channels coming from it, right, center and left.

Ok @Airgetlam thank you so much for your help. One last question I have is:

If I keep the tv set as sonos suggest (beam front, ones back), can I put another 2 SL’s as a stereo pair sitting there (not working) during movie, but then make a new Group and combine all together to listen music?

Oh, gosh, yes :)

I’ve got a similar setup, with an Arc for TV watching, and a pair of PLAY:1s behind me for TV watching, and a pair of PLAY:5s up front for music. 

The only caveat is that the Sub can’t be shared between the two “rooms” easily. It can be done, but it’s basically removing it from one room and attaching it to the other each time, which takes a lot of keystrokes.  When I feel the need for using my Sub, I just play through the Arc, and have set up the surrounds to be “full” rather than “ambient”, so they’re straight stereo speakers, instead of surround speakers for the Arc. Fortunately, that’s a setting that is just for music, so it doesn’t impact the use when watching TV.