Question

Beam Dolby Digital Plus Source Files Vocal Sound Distant, Flat, Muddy

• 23 April 2019
  • 0 replies

Hello,

I know the Sonos Beam does NOT support DD+ but I am having issues that I can replicate over and over and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. When I get any high quality video file, the audio is usually DDP5.1. When playing these videos, often through Plex either in the native Plex app on my Samsung 2018 Smart TV or with Amazon 4k Fire Stick, the audio sounds just terrible. The vocals sound distant, muddy, not really distorted but it is certainly not watchable. What I have to do is often re-source files that have DD5.1 and then everything sounds amazing.

I simply cannot figure out what is wrong. From all the research and forum searching I have done, Dolby Digital Plus should easily down convert (or whatever the term is) to Dolby Digital 5.1 and sound just fine. If I look at the 'About' part of the Sonos App, it says Dolby Digital 5.1 but still sounds HORRIBLE.

The TV is set to output Dolby Digital. If I even try to select Dolby Digital Plus in the Sounds - Expert Settings - on my Samsung TV I get a popup saying this option is only available to receivers that support DD+. So the handshake or whatever seems to be working...

I've also tried going in the Fire Stick settings and changing the 'Sound Output' from best available to 'Force Dolby Digital' again, it sounds awful.

Long story short - any file I playback that has a DDP5.1 audio track simply sounds terrible. If I have the same file with DD5.1 encoding, everything is wonderful. I just can't figure out what is causing such degradation in the audio and it is driving me bonkers. I don't want to re-encode content at DD5.1...

I am open to trying literally anything and can provide more details as needed.

Thank you so much for the support through this community.

-Mike

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.