Answered

beam dolby +

• 4 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

can anyone tell me whether Sonos has sorted the issue with Dolby digital + ?. I’ve recently bought a beam and after setup it only outputs stereo and I’ve read a lot of issues about this over the last couple of days, although my Samsung ru8000 65” allows Dolby digital +. Is it worth me sending the beam back and getting an arc or will it make no difference ?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 June 2021, 14:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Arc supports DD+ and would be my preferred choice, the Beam unfortunately doesn’t support that codec and is unlikely to support it, possibly due to hardware limitations.

However if the Arc isn’t your choice, you could opt to bypass the TV altogether with an audio splitter/ extractor and attach a Fire TV stick, Nvidia Shield TV, or similar device, with the popular TV Apps like Netflix, Prime Movies, Disney+ etc; and set those devices to output their audio as Dolby Digital 5.1 direct to the Beam.

There are plenty of compatible audio extractors/splitters on Amazon and other similar outlets, the below is one such example only (it’s not a device I have used, or tested):

Example of Splitter/Audio Extractor

Userlevel 7

What are the audio settings set to on your TV?

What are the audio settings set to on your TV?

Right.  I wouldn’t give up on the beam just yet, as your TV should be capable of sending it a dolby digtial signal, not just DD+.

Also, the Beam was released with only DD capability, and never made any promises to add DD+.  In that regard, it’s not an issue to be sorted.

Badge

Hi everyone,

I have Netflix/nowtv/Amazon prime and luckily they output Dolby 5.1 if the film/tv show allows it. 

when i first setup the system, all that was being outputted was 2.0 but now I’ve messed about with the settings on all my Netflix/PS4 etc and it sounds a lot better.

coming from a denon av receiver with monitor audio mass 5.1 speakers I was a bit disheartened when I first setup my Sonos equipment 😆. But I quite like it now and all the different apps and radio stations etc you can use.

Eventually I’ll buy an arc. Because my tv doesn’t allow atmos or have an earc port I went for the beam.

thanks for the help guys