Beam Atmos Test?

• 28 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Best method to test/demo Beam gen2 Atmos - Maybe similar to 5.1 system where various speakers (LF, RF, LR, RR, C, SW) are emphasized? Or some Atmos content with specific known "Height" points etc...

Not exactly sure what I expected from Beam/Atmos but somewhat disappointed.... Connected via eARC to latest LG OLED. Sonos App shows "Atmos Content" (Prime, Netflix Premium) connected. TruePlay calibrated. Use area is approx 20 by 14 w/sloping 19->12 foot ceilings, listening 10 foot front-center from Beam.

Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Here is a Dolby Atmos Test Tones video:

https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones\_5\_1\_2.mp4

Another good test is the film Roma on Netflix. At around the 1:03:25 mark, you should hear the trees burning/crackling above you for the next couple of minutes. Be sure you are playing the original Spanish language audio track.

Since the Beam doesn’t have any dedicated upward firing speakers, like the Arc does, it’s ability to make as big a difference when playing Atmos content is limited by simple physics. It sounds good, but the Arc sounds better when they’re both playing the same Atmos content. 

Thanks!

Best method to test/demo Beam gen2 Atmos - Maybe similar to 5.1 system where various speakers (LF, RF, LR, RR, C, SW) are emphasized? Or some Atmos content with specific known "Height" points etc...

Not exactly sure what I expected from Beam/Atmos but somewhat disappointed.... Connected via eARC to latest LG OLED. Sonos App shows "Atmos Content" (Prime, Netflix Premium) connected. TruePlay calibrated. Use area is approx 20 by 14 w/sloping 19->12 foot ceilings, listening 10 foot front-center from Beam.

Thanks!

Hey,

I recently tested the Beam gen2 Atmos setup, and I must say I had mixed emotions about it. I tried a few different methods to get the best demo and determine its capabilities. One approach I found effective was treating it like a 5.1 system, where I emphasized the different speakers (LF, RF, LR, RR, C, SW). This helped to create a more immersive experience.

I also experimented with specific known "Height" points in Atmos content. While the Sonos App indicated "Atmos Content" when connected to Prime and Netflix Premium through eARC on my LG OLED, I was somewhat disappointed with the overall result.

For reference, my listening area is approximately 20 by 14 feet with sloping ceilings ranging from 19 to 12 feet, and I positioned myself about 10 feet in front and center of the Beam.

Maybe consider adding Era-300 speakers as surrounds to the Beam Gen2, they really do help provide immersive Atmos surround sound. Those Sonos surrounds, together with a Sub (gen3) really do sound fantastic in our Dining Room.