Answered

Beam + Apple TV Remote

• 18 July 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hello! How can I use my Apple TV remote to control the volume? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by MikeV 18 July 2018, 03:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The ways this is possible will depend on how Beam is hooked up to your TV. If it's hooked up through HDMI, you have three practical options for control... if it's hooked up through optical, you have two.

HDMI options:
  • Sonos via HDMI (might be "Receiver" instead of "Sonos", depending on your TV)
  • TV via IR (TV receives the IR command, then sends an HDMI command to Beam)
  • Sonos via IR
You might need to manually add the IR options, since Apple TV can't detect devices that way. TV via HDMI might also be possible, though not sure why you'd want Apple TV to tell your TV to tell Beam to adjust the volume over HDMI, when Apple TV could just address Beam directly for that.

Optical options:
  • TV via IR (assuming you've programmed Beam to accept your TV's remote codes to adjust volume)
  • Sonos via IR

If you've turned off Apple TV's HDMI-CEC setting (and don't ask me what it is, I don't remember), then the "... via HDMI" options wouldn't likely appear.
Yes. I have the beam and my apple tv remote can control the volume without a problem.