Beam and PS3 Audio Problem - Help Please

• 9 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help me out with a sound query. I’ve just got a Beam which sounds great on Netflix and Prime video, but flat when playing DTS Blu Rays through my PS3. I didn’t know that Sonos doesn’t support DTS so I only get stereo sound, which is disappointing. Having read quite a few threads on various forums I’m none the wiser as to a solution. Seems the Beam’s lack of optical input means I can’t split the audio like Playbar users can.
Is there a workaround, as I still like my Blu Rays and naturally want the best sound from them. Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have a similar issue with the PS4 - it only seems to be able to transcode over optical. There is a workaround, but it involves swapping cables...

There's an optical to hdmi converter in the box, right? Use that to connect the PS3 optical out to the Beams HDMI in. Ensure the PS3 is set to output Dolby Digital over Optical.

Sound settings > optical output > choose only Dolby Digital 5.1 and leave the others (particularly DTS) blank (some are preselected and can't be unselected, that's fine)

Video settings > BD audio output format (optical digital) > bitstream (mix)

You might also need to change the audio track in the Blu Ray player itself to Bitstream Mix, I'm not sure.
Thanks for your reply, but it seems the majority of my discs don’t offer the choice of a DD soundtrack.
When you start each Bluray disc, go in to the audio settings and select the Dolby Digital soundtrack.