Answered

Beam and LG OLEDs -Audio delay over Dolby DIgital still a problem?

Has anyone connected a Beam to an LG OLED tv and tested whether the audio is delayed when using Dolby Digital? My Beam is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (canceled my B&H order and ordered on the Sonos site today). I have a 2016 LG E6P with the latest firmware (5.30.30). I wasn't aware of the Dolby Digital issue until I started reading these forums. I have read and watched a bunch of reviews of Beam and no one mentioned this issue, which is curious. You would think at least one reviewer would have used an LG OLED when testing the Beam. Hoping it won't be an issue.;)
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 July 2018, 23:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

What’s super annoying is that this would actually be a valid solution, and resolve the issue in almost all cases, if SONOS weren’t stubbornly refusing to support 6 channel PCM.

@Ryan S Will this ever be added? I appreciate SONOS are limited in their ability to resolve the root cause of these problems, but you seem to be taking very little action with changes you are able to make to help the situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm always happy to pass along the request for LPCM 5.1 support, though I'm not sure how many TVs are able to pass PCM with anything more than stereo audio. It's always good to ask, though I can't provide a roadmap or idea on if it'll be added one day.
Just got my beam and I am using it with a LG OLED B7. I haven't noticed any lip sync issues so far. I am playing from an Apple TV 4k (set to output only dolby digital) and passing the audio via ARC (TV passthrough set to auto, if you set to PCM you will only get 2 channels instead of 3 on the beam).

@Ryan S As far as I am aware it's not possible to pass LPCM 5.1 via ARC, ARC doesn't support the bandwidth and neither does optical (new eARC supports but few TVs have it). I also can't find a way to have the Sonos Beam take an HDMI directly (not via ARC) even if that HDMI is only carrying audio. So it seems due to the input limitations on the beam there is literally no way to get uncompressed 5.1 through to the beam 😞 The limited inputs would still support DTS 5.1 if Sonos added the codec support. Considering the many limitations this would be the least Sonos could do for it's customers.

But unfortunately these limitations still leave Nintendo switch owners and anything really that needs 5.1 PCM out in the cold. Personally I won't bother adding surrounds to my Beam because of these limitations. As far as I know this is why most decent soundbars include multiple HDMI in's and have the soundbar be the hub that passes just the video through to the TV rather than using ARC. This also helps with lip sync issues but brings in new complications like having to find a soundbar that has 4k dolby vision passthrough for instance...

TLDR: The beam is a great 2.0 soundbar but do your research in a big way if you plan on adding to it or want 5.1
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Atlas, you're correct, the Beam only has an HDMI-ARC connection, and is designed to receive the audio through there, linked with the TV directly. The industry is very slowly adopting eARC, as you said. It's only currently being used for future-proofing, where it's used, since not much out there makes use of it.

isn't the Switch outputting LPCM 5.1 via HDMI in already? I was under the impression HDMI could take the bandwidth for that, but I could be wrong.

As to using the Beam with surrounds, they add a lot to the audio, especially when you can get Dolby Digital to the Beam. Most streaming services these days use Dolby Digital, and most TVs that I've worked with from the last 3-4 years have all been able to pass it over HDMI, including the LG OLEDs.
You are correct HDMI can carry 5.1 LPCM but apparently the arc hdmi port on the beam won’t accept a std full hdmi audio (not arc) so that’s where the hope lies if they can firmware update the beam to support a std hdmi input and accept 5.1 LPCM, then I think we could split off the HDMI with an extra piece of hardware not ideal but a potential workaround.

Any solution for a Samsung 7700 tv with this audio delay 😬

There’s been many threads about issues with Samsung TVs and lipsync, mainly in the Home Theater are of the forum.

Depending on the TV, there are several potential resolutions.

1.  Update the TV’s firmware.
  2. Remove any audio settings in the TV that might alter the sound profile coming out of the TV.
  3. Check for any video settings that might be altering the ability of the TV’s CPU to process the sound output. This is a low probability in my opinion, but there have been the occasional posts that suggest that in some cases, it’s had an effect.
  4. Remove the audio from the HDMI stream before it reaches the TV, using an HDMI adapter that has either an optical or HDMI-ARC output, so that the audio never goes through the TV. Something along the lines of this:   https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1X  Note that this item is not a recommendation, it’s just the first thing that came up when searching Amazon. They come with anywhere from one to multiple inputs, you might want to look for one that matches your needs. I’ve not seen anyone return to this forum having installed one of these in their HDMI stream that it hasn’t worked for.  This is what leads me to believe the issue is with the electronics in the Samsung.
  5. Contact Samsung. I believe there are some who have had Samsung come out and actually replace the processor inside their TV with a newer hardware version, and it’s fixed the problem.

I hope this helps. For ease and cost, I’d try 1, 2, 3 and 4, in that order. 5 seems to be a lot more trouble to me.