Answered

Beam and LG OLEDs -Audio delay over Dolby DIgital still a problem?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Has anyone connected a Beam to an LG OLED tv and tested whether the audio is delayed when using Dolby Digital? My Beam is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (canceled my B&H order and ordered on the Sonos site today). I have a 2016 LG E6P with the latest firmware (5.30.30). I wasn't aware of the Dolby Digital issue until I started reading these forums. I have read and watched a bunch of reviews of Beam and no one mentioned this issue, which is curious. You would think at least one reviewer would have used an LG OLED when testing the Beam. Hoping it won't be an issue.;)

Hi Robby,
So, how did it go. Any sync delay or other audio issues?
Thx
Has anyone connected a Beam to an LG OLED tv and tested whether the audio is delayed when using Dolby Digital? My Beam is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (canceled my B&H order and ordered on the Sonos site today). I have a 2016 LG E6P with the latest firmware (5.30.30). I wasn't aware of the Dolby Digital issue until I started reading these forums. I have read and watched a bunch of reviews of Beam and no one mentioned this issue, which is curious. You would think at least one reviewer would have used an LG OLED when testing the Beam. Hoping it won't be an issue.;)

Yes the issue still exists. I got the beam on release day without knowing about this issue. I think it's ridiculous that a high end audio company selling high end audio products don't actually work with the highest end TV's. I was very disappointed in my purchase. I have a B7A and dolby digital is still delayed by .4s. It's noticeable and crazy annoying. Stereo is fine. Sonos really really needs to address this issue with a firmware fix. I've read every thread about this issue. Even if it's an LG issue it's sonos that needs to fix it on their end. It's an audio issue that only appears with an audio bar. Switching to PCM/Stereo/HDMI optical splitter is not a solution since you lose DD and the sound is much worse.

I would NOT buy a beam with an LG OLED if i had to choose again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If lg sends audio out late how is Sonos supposed to reverse the flow of time. Yea Sonos go back in time and make the sound come out earlier.

My lg has adjustment so it sends audio out earlier and works fine. That is 8 year old lg with option.
If lg sends audio out late how is Sonos supposed to reverse the flow of time. Yea Sonos go back in time and make the sound come out earlier.

My lg has adjustment so it sends audio out earlier and works fine. That is 8 year old lg with option.

Thanks for your snarky reply that didn’t add anything to the conversation. Hdmi is a 19 pin connector with the majority being data lines, a 5v pin, a hot swap pin and an arc pin. Most of the pins are used for video data. Even with arc active some video information is still passed over the line... there’s always an engineering solution if you think instead of using internet sarcasm. I realize these solutions take time but some transparency from Sonos would be nice. If it’s 100% not fixable on their end they should be upfront. Instead, they say they’re working on it which I hope they are.

If you google the issue with any combination of “lg oled delayed audio Dolby digital” and exclude “ Sonos” the top 20 posts are still all about Sonos systems even on different forums. It seems heavily isolated.

Have a great day Chris!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I will.
Has anyone seen any progress here? I have a Beam and a LG C8 OLED. Through trial and error I was able to get the Apple TV to output 5.1 with no delay but my Xbox One has a beyond crazy delay in 5.1 which really sucks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Atlas, you're correct, the Beam only has an HDMI-ARC connection, and is designed to receive the audio through there, linked with the TV directly. The industry is very slowly adopting eARC, as you said. It's only currently being used for future-proofing, where it's used, since not much out there makes use of it.

isn't the Switch outputting LPCM 5.1 via HDMI in already? I was under the impression HDMI could take the bandwidth for that, but I could be wrong.

As to using the Beam with surrounds, they add a lot to the audio, especially when you can get Dolby Digital to the Beam. Most streaming services these days use Dolby Digital, and most TVs that I've worked with from the last 3-4 years have all been able to pass it over HDMI, including the LG OLEDs.