Answered

AV Receiver or TV for passthrough Atmos?

• 5 January 2022
  • 2 replies

My 2021 LG TV is connected to my Arc via eArc (also have two Sonos 1 Surrounds and a Gen 3 Sub) which is giving me amazing sound including Atmos and it does passthrough of Atmos from any devices connected to it.

Because of the configuration of the room, the TV and Arc are at some distance from the rest of the AV equipment and there is currently only a single lengthy HDMI cable between the TV and the area where that equipment is stored.

To avoid unplugging the HDMI cable and swapping it between a Cable Box/Apple TV and a UHD DVD player my options are:

• upgrade my AV Receiver to one that does Atmos passthrough and thereby keep the single HDMI cable (connecting the boxes to the Receiver); OR
  • chase additional HDMI cables so that each box can connect directly to an HDMI input on the TV.

Does anyone know whether “double passthrough” of Atmos dilutes quality? In other words, if I connect my boxes to a new Receiver which then connects to the TV which then connects to the Arc, will that be less quality than having a Box connect directly to a TV?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 5 January 2022, 22:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You can get an HDMI switch that can connect to your sources and one output to the TV. Now need for a more expensive receiver.  Just make sure that the switch will passthrough 4k, Atmos, and whatever else you need.  And that is a remote or some other method for switching sources that you like.

obviously, you can wire all 3 sources directly to your TV, but as you know, you need more HDMI cables, and may not be able to hide them as well.

Userlevel 7

Couldn’t you just use an HDMI switch like this instead of a receiver?
https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Switch-Vision-Switcher-Compatible/dp/B07CF793HQ