Question

Autoplay -> then ungroup --> then mute of stop other group

• 4 January 2017
  • 10 replies

I have created  two separate rooms in the living room and both rooms are always active
when I listen to music.

- Room 1: Playbar + Sub for watching TV and listening music
- Room 2: two Play: 5’s in the back for listening music

When I turn on the TV and want:

1.  TV audio automatically play though the Playbar (Can be done by setting Autoplay to : ON)
2. Ungroup room 2 (can be done with Ungroup on Autoplay set to: ON)
3. Disable the audio on room2 (Can’t be done).

Would this be possible in the future update?
At this moment, when I turn my TV on the other room (2) keeps playing the music I was listening to.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
+1 I have the same problem. Sometimes I come home to find the wife watching TV with the other speakers still playing music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
This may be, in part, because with many installations (like my own) this would be undesirable if applied to the entire system.

My wife could be listening to music, and have the whole system grouped, and I turn on a TV in a fairly separate room... I wouldn't want my system to stop the queue playing everywhere else... having said that... to have it as a selectable option associated with the autoplay where is asked if autoplay should "autostop" some rooms might be cool and might be nice for those that would like it...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm obviously being really thick but if you added the Play 5s as surrounds (Ok you can't if Gen 1) then that would achieve what you want wouldn't it?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Stuart_W

The issue is, I have a 5,1 setup and a few other speakers close by. As you know I can group them all and play music. I have the PlayBar on auto switch to TV to keep things easy for the wife. Often I come home from work to the PlayBar (5.1) on TV and the other speakers playing music and the wife not bother by it at all. (she listens to music softly in the background) It drives me nuts.

It would be nice if the "Auto TV" would kill the whole group and than go to TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Stuart_W

The issue is, I have a 5,1 setup and a few other speakers close by. As you know I can group them all and play music. I have the PlayBar on auto switch to TV to keep things easy for the wife. Often I come home from work to the PlayBar (5.1) on TV and the other speakers playing music and the wife not bother by it at all. (she listens to music softly in the background) It drives me nuts.

It would be nice if the "Auto TV" would kill the whole group and than go to TV.

Simples

D I V O R C E
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Seriously though, I guess they could do that. Even have a toggle for those who wanted the polar opposite behaviour
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Have we got up to a whole two screens worth of toggles yet?
Depends on how many toggles per screen. I'm betting we're more than two screens worth 🙂
I have exactly the same problem. I have a full TV setup (bar + sub + LS + RS) and have one Play:5 speaker in my office next to living room.

When TV autoplay starts, I would like to have an option to "ungroup + stop" playback. Right now I have to go and always explicitly turn off the Play:5 speaker 😞 Even if not default behavior, there should be an option to change this behavior.
Even though we're talking about 2 sonos setups interacting together, this feels to me like this could be done with home automation. I took a quick look at Smartthings and it looks like you can configure to have one room turn off when another room turns on...but that's not exact the right scenario here. IFTTT may be of some help, but I just don't know if 'ungrouping' or 'switching input to TV' is a triggerable even that any automation system could recognize.

On the issue of whether Sonos should devote resources to allow users to configure this within Sonos, I'm of a mixed mind. Not because I have a problem with the functionality, but because I think it's more properly done with a home automation tool, where automations that can be done beyond just Sonos equipment. I'd rather Sonos work on improving the API that home automation tools so that you can trigger more events. In other words, instead of just this request, when I turn on the TV, I'd want the secondary room audio turned off, the lights dimmed, the shades lowered...but only after 5 PM.