Question

Audio skips when Surround/Sub is ON

• 13 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

I have two audio sources (Apple TV and IPTV) with a Playbase, Sub and two Play3’s (surround) connected as a group and the audio skips when surround or sub is turned on. The moment I turn them off, the audio works fine and goes back to skipping when I turn them back on.

1. OS is up to date
  2. All speakers have been reset
  3. Router has been restarted and reset as well
  4. Audio sources have been restarted
  5. Optical cable has been swapped out

Previously I had a playbar instead of playbase in the same setup and never had such issues. After I replaced it with playbase, I started to have these skipping issues and that’s when I went through above mentioned steps. The problem happens even if I airplay through my phone but not if I am playing music via Sonos App.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @sunnysehgal.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

If I understand it correctly, you’re experiencing the issue on TV audio playback only, using the Playbase and not when playing music via the Sonos app? 

Kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app right after when it happens, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You may check our support article that provides common fixes for TV audio interruptions while using Sonos home theater speakers.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

So I followed instructions from Sonos help, restarted router and the followed by playbase, sub and play 3’s in that order and still faced skips. Here’s the diagnostic right after restart with audio skips: 2032906372 and few minutes later the skips stopped so another diagnostic if that helps to compare: 1939144671

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @sunnysehgal.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon reviewing these diagnostic results, the system detected a possible IP conflict particularly in the Sonos One/Bedroom speaker.

This situation can cause various issues for your Sonos system.

I recommend going through these steps in Correcting IP conflicts:

• Reboot the router 
  • Try to add the Sonos IP addresses to your networks' DHCP Reservation Table
  • After making the DHCP reservation, you will need to reboot the Sonos player so that it will receive its new IP address. 
  • Test it and see if that helps.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number so I can review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.