Question

Audio Passthrough

• 7 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I have a Sony XBR-65X930D purchased around January 2017.  I recently upgraded to the Arc soundbar.

If I have an Apple TV 4K can I pass through Dolby Digital Plus via the HDMI Arc?  As I understand it, it is possible.  However, Atmos lossless is not possible because the tv is not supported and there is no eArc.

I ask because I was running some tests and audio seems to only be coming out as Dolby Digital 5.1.  I was watching Space Force via Netflix and I would think it would be in Dolby Digital Plus.  Are there any changes I need to make on the Apple TV and/or TV? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have the Netflix Premium Plan subscription?

Badge +2

I do have it and set it to the highest possible rate.

Also I noticed that I don’t have the immersive audio option on the Apple TV. Not really sure why. 

Userlevel 7

It is possible that your TV won’t pass through DD+/Atmos through HDMI ARC. Have you tried to play Atmos content through Netflix on your TV’s internal Netflix app?

Badge +2

Good idea. I haven’t tried that yet. 

Userlevel 7

I found this on Apple’s site:
“Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections.”

If this is correct, then Atmos content on Apple TV 4K will only work with HDMI eARC, not HDMI ARC.

Another option is to get the HDfury Arcana device that will allow you to bypass your TV’s ARC limitations and get full audio from any external device to play on your Sonos Arc. It is available for pre-order right now: https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/