Audio delay

• 26 February 2019
  • 12 replies

Badge
I have Beam, two One’s and subwoofer along with Samsung NU6950 tv and PS4. The Beam is connected using HDMI ARC, the PS4 audio comes via HDMI to the tv. The tv is set up for HDMI Bitstream input and Dolby Digital output. The 5.1 sound is excellent but I’m getting about 1 second audio delay when using the PS4. I’ve read of others who have the same issue but don’t know if it has ever been resolved. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

It sounds like your TV, processing the PS4 signal, is causing the lag... see this thread for some ways to perhaps resolve this issue:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/ps4-pro-sound-delay-panasonic-viera-tv-6817814
Badge
Thank you Ken, I checked out the link but still there doesn’t seem to be a proper fix. I’ll keep trying and hopefully it gets resolved.
Thank you Ken, I checked out the link but still there doesn’t seem to be a proper fix. I’ll keep trying and hopefully it gets resolved.
I saw two suggestions, switching the PS4 to output to PCM stereo and the other was to link the PS4 direct to the Beam via an HDMI audio extractor... have you tried either of those suggestions?

It sounds like your TV is unable to process the bitstream audio quick enough, so I’m not sure you’ll find the answer any other way. The Beam will only play the audio when it receives it and at the moment the TV (or cable) is not doing that in a timely manner.

Another thing, to maybe try, is a different HDMI Cable... but see this link before you buy:

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/hdmi-cable-speed
Badge
Thank you for your continued assistance Ken, when setting the PS4 to PCM the tv has DD grayed out so that doesn’t gain me anything. The Beam doesn’t have many connection options, I have the HDMI cable hooked up to the tv’s HDMI ARC. Not sure how I could connect the PS4 directly to the Beam. Thanks again!
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Not sure how I could connect the PS4 directly to the Beam. Thanks again!

Use the optical to HDMI adapter that came with your Beam? Plug that into the PS4's optical port. Adjust settings as needed.
Badge
Thanks for the input Misfit but there are no other inputs on the Beam. Unless I am missing something, I welcome guidance on this. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
......You're plugging the HDMI cable into the Beam, the other end goes into the adapter, the adapter goes into your PS4. Unless I'm missing something.
Badge
Unfortunately I think the Beam is missing something, an extra HDMI port.
The Beam should only be connected to the HDMI-ARC port on the TV. All other devices are connected via HDMI to the TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Unfortunately I think the Beam is missing something, an extra HDMI port.

I'm talking about plugging the Beam directly into the PS4.

1 cable. 1 adapter.

Adapter goes into the PS4. HDMI cable goes into the adapter. HDMI cable then goes into the Beam. It's a direct connection, and should reduce any audio delays going from the PS4 through the TV then to the Beam. Seeing how now it would be PS4 audio to the Beam directly.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
The Beam should only be connected to the HDMI-ARC port on the TV. All other devices are connected via HDMI to the TV.

If he is getting an audio delay when using the PS4 and Beam connected to the TV, he can directly connect the Beam to the PS4 with the optical adapter - which should eliminate the delay.
Badge
PS4 HDMI to tv and PS4 HDMI/optical adapter to Beam solved it. No delay and 5.1