Answered

Atmos Surrounds Possibility?

• 24 December 2020
  • 31 replies

Show first post

31 replies

Userlevel 1

I know Sonos does not release any of it's future plans but I'm just wondering about future speakers.

Does any suspect or think Sonos may offer Atmos enabled rear surround speakers. I see quite a few brands have Atmos sound bars plus Atmos Surrounds.

I'm adding more Sonos speakers to my home but If rather just move my current Sonos One's that are currently surrounds to other locations in my home if there is any hope of new surrounds coming.  Do I want to play the waiting game or take chance and purchase new speakers now 

Userlevel 7

The height effect of the Sonos Arc is pretty subtle even with standard, flat 8 ft ceilings. Many even complain about not hearing it at all. Surrounds with upfiring speakers would help create a more convincing height effect especially for people with larger rooms. Plus it would help Sonos sell more speakers. I would replace my pair of Play:1 surrounds in a heartbeat if Sonos offered Ones with upward firing speakers.

Perhaps it’s a case as to whether the rear (virtual) upward firing surround speakers might possibly ‘muddy’ the soundstage perhaps? - see attached Atmos image (using a soundbar:

It’s what sounds best at the end of the day and the actual (real/noticeable) benefit to the listener - I’m not saying it may not happen, but it might be a case that the detail needs to be worked through to get the best sound experience at the chosen ‘sweet spot’. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@John B 

Exactly what Guitar superstar said.

Sonos (while I love the products) took a long time to bring Atmos speakers to the market. Wondering if a similar story with the sorrounds if at all.

The Arc is the only speaker offering Atmos because is currently the only speaker in the Sonos line that has upward firing speakers. Many other manufacturers also offer surrounds capable of the same. "Maybe there's a helicopter taking off behind you and then flies over your head"

Userlevel 7

I am not sure I know what an 'Atmos surround' is. In the only Sonos product that offers Atmos, the Arc, all the processing work is done by the Arc. The surrounds just play what they are sent, as always. So I am listening to Atmos content using my Play:1s as surrounds. 

Could you explain what you mean please?

An example of “Atmos surrounds” would be Sonos offering Sonos Ones with an upward firing speaker. This would turn the Arc/Sub/Ones x2 setup from a 5.1.2 system to a 5.1.4 system.

I am not sure I know what an 'Atmos surround' is. In the only Sonos product that offers Atmos, the Arc, all the processing work is done by the Arc. The surrounds just play what they are sent, as always. So I am listening to Atmos content using my Play:1s as surrounds. 

Could you explain what you mean please?