Atmos over arc no eAcr

• 30 July 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 14 replies

Just wanted to put this out there for whoever finds it helpful. I like a lot of other people have had issues getting Atmos from my Arc with my Apple TV 4K and my Sony tv (75x850f) no eArch. The Apple TV would do nothing but DD but I could get Atmos through my TVs Netflix app but that’s all. So today I changed over to a Nvidia shield tv 4K and now I get Atmos in Netflix and Disney+. I know this is not the answer some of us want...but it works.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Lst05.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

This comment is very helpful in other customers who are looking for a different way to use atmos.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just wanted to put this out there for whoever finds it helpful. I like a lot of other people have had issues getting Atmos from my Arc with my Apple TV 4K and my Sony tv (75x850f) no eArch. The Apple TV would do nothing but DD but I could get Atmos through my TVs Netflix app but that’s all. So today I changed over to a Nvidia shield tv 4K and now I get Atmos in Netflix and Disney+. I know this is not the answer some of us want...but it works.

Thanks for letting us know that you are getting Dolby atmos on Disney Plus and Netflix using Nvidia Shield. Are you using the 2017 model or the latest Nvidia Shield models. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am using the latest model. It’s not the path I wanted to take (I’m a Apple user) but it works and it’s cheaper than buying a new tv.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just to clarify because I know someone will wonder, it is Atmos over DD+ but it is better than the standard DD I was getting with Apple TV 4K.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just to clarify because I know someone will wonder, it is Atmos over DD+ but it is better than the standard DD I was getting with Apple TV 4K.

We will only get Atmos over DD+ from streaming services. If you are not using blu ray I don’t think you would get lossless atmos. Are iTunes movies & Apple TV+ shows in lossless Atmos? I am not sure.

I am using the latest model. It’s not the path I wanted to take (I’m a Apple user) but it works and it’s cheaper than buying a new tv.

Other reports indicated that AppleTV does not send the Dolby Atmos signal to TVs not advertising themselves as capable of passing it through (sporting an eARC port, I’d suspect). Even though the compressed Atmos does work through ARC connections, as you noticed.

So your solution is the way to go, short of changing the TV.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Other reports indicated that AppleTV does not send the Dolby Atmos signal to TVs not advertising themselves as capable of passing it through (sporting an eARC port, I’d suspect). Even though the compressed Atmos does work through ARC connections, as you noticed.

So your solution is the way to go, short of changing the TV.  

I caved in and ordered the HDfury Arcana. Didn’t want to use Nvidia shield or change the Tv as I like Apple TV. Hoping that Arcana would work as the manufacturers are showcasing.