Atmos issues with film content playing from a Mac

Hi There.

I had some great support yesterday about setting up my LG C1 new TV with my Arc soundbar. Apple TV now plays Atmos content and my app shows that the Arc is receiving Dolby Atmos. So far so good.

My problem now is that when trying to play a film, that I know has an Atmos soundtrack, from my Mac mini M1, using VLC ( tried various other programs also),  the soundtrack only comes through as Stereo PCM.

I have set the TV for eArc support and Pass through.

All help appreciated.

Tony

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

On your Mac Mini, go to Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and make sure the audio output settings are set to 5.1. Also check the “Configure Speakers...” option in the same window.

On your Mac Mini, go to Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and make sure the audio output settings are set to 5.1. Also check the “Configure Speakers...” option in the same window.

Sorry, but only option is stereo, so when I go to configure it just gives the option to configure the stereo.

Not an expert on such things, but am guessing it won’t give me the option for 5.1 due to the Sonos arc not being directly plugged into the Mac, so, hence its only seeing the Tv as an option, in stereo. Would a HDMI splitter be an answer? Mac to splitter, then one hdmi to Tv and then one hdmi to Arc? Would my Mac then ‘see’ the Arc? Would there be video/audio sync problems

Userlevel 7

You should be able to output 5.1 audio when the Mac is connected directly to your TV via HDMI.

Is the HDMI Input Audio Format setting on the TV set to Bitstream? Have you adjusted the VLC audio settings?

No 5.1 option. No other option in vlc and yes, set to bitstream.

like I said, I am no expert, so just to check I have  hdmi cables right- Cable comes out of Mac into Tv hdmi 1. Then from Tv hdmi 2 ( earc  ) to atmos arc hdmi socket ?

Userlevel 7

No 5.1 option. No other option in vlc and yes, set to bitstream.

like I said, I am no expert, so just to check I have  hdmi cables right- Cable comes out of Mac into Tv hdmi 1. Then from Tv hdmi 2 ( earc  ) to atmos arc hdmi socket ?

Yes, those connections are correct.

You might try using a different HDMI from the Mac to the TV. 

But there is a good chance the Mac Mini doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio. Have you tried testing a standard Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 source on VLC?

Had a chat with Sonos support last night. Apparently I am barking up the wrong tree. With my setup getting Atmos from my Mac, through my TV and then to my Arc is a non starter. All I will ever get is stereo pcm from my tv.. tech guy said the Arc was only made as a speaker being directly fed vis eArc from a TV.

I asked if a HDMI splitter would combat the problem, he said no. Does anyone else have experience of splitting the HDMI from a computer so as to send it then direct to the Arc and TV separately. Is it possible? Advisable?

Thanks for all help

There’s two devices that I’m aware of, perhaps more. One made by Feintech, one by HDFury. 

But the key would be getting Atmos out of your Mac, which might be problematic.