Answered

Are any of my devices able to do DTS to Dolby Digital transcoding?

• 1 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello :)
My Blu Ray is the Sony bdp-s3700 and TV is Sony kdl 32w705b. Will I be able to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital with any of these?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 April 2019, 16:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Just checked the User Manual for your player and as Ken has previously stated there is an option for you to set for this (Dolby D Compatible Output) see attached page:-

It will depend what codecs/audio formats are supported by the player. I think many users seemed to prefer the Samsung models like Samsung BD-J7500 but I’m not sure which player actually worked best with SonoS HT. It maybe a case of looking through the manuals and/or speaking to the respective support desks for the Blu-ray players that you have in mind, to see what they actually do support.

I’m not a person that uses Blu-ray Discs, as I’m more for streaming 5.1 DD movies these days, so I’m not really fully upto speed on what’s currently available.
Thank you. One last question. What happens if you play a Blu Ray that is Dolby True HD? Does it get converted into DD5.1?
Perhaps see this link below. There used to be a compiled list of blu-ray players that did DTS/DD 5.1 ‘on the fly' transcoding, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment. It was mostly Samsung and Sony players from 2015 onwards, if my memory serves me correctly? Hope the link helps.?

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/4k-uhd-bluray-players-that-decode-dts-to-dolby-6738683/index1.html
Thank you. If I find that it doesn’t support that, is there some sort of device I can buy to do the transcoding?
Check the Blu-Ray manual and look for Dolby D compatible audio output using EDID ...”extended display identification data”. I’m pretty sure that Sony model supports that, but you may have to switch it on in its settings.