Arc with LG OLED GX - TV setup

• 12 December 2020
  • 30 replies

I’m having trouble setting up my Arc with my new LG GX. 

I am running through HDMI-ARC. The sound is playing through the bar, and it’s receiving an Atmos signal (I can see the logo in the app). 

However, there are two issues: (1) Sonos app tells me there is a “connection issue” with my TV setup, and (2) the TV remote cannot change the volume on the Arc. 

For (1), we have tried the Sonos app troubleshooting, but it cannot resolve it. 

I have submitted diagnostic number 551452744. 

Thank you for your help,

Matr

30 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MattEa.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there’s no issue found on your system, and Arc’s status is online and connected. 

However, I noticed on the home theater settings that the  ARC (Audio Return Channel) status on the TV is disabled.

When connecting Sonos Arc to your TV with HDMI ARC or eARC, you’ll be able to access hi-res audio formats like Dolby Atmos.

To Enable ARC on LG TVs:

Sound menu→ Select Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC). → Turn on Simplink

On some older LG TVs: 

Sound menu→ Turn on ARC Mode → Turn off TV Speakers

NOTE: On some TVs, you may need to select External Audio (Optical/HDMI).

May I know the make and model number of the TV remote you’re setting up?

If that is LG ‘Magic’ Remote, you may see this article that will guide you on how to configure the LG remote.

Let me know how that goes.

Hi Annazel,

Yes. I have ensured that Simplink is on and the TV speakers are off. The sound is coming through the Arc system via HDMI-ARC. 

Unfortunately, the Sonos app describes that there is a problem with the TV Connection.

The remote is an LG “magic” remote. I have tried the steps in the link for both the “optical” connection and the HDMI-ARC. Neither worked. 

I understand HDMI-ARC is required for Dolby Atmos signal.

What do you suggest next?

Cheers,

Matt 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MattEa.

Thanks for your response.

At what point you are getting this error?

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly after the error occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd review your system further as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Keep me posted.

Annazel,

I am getting an error when attempting to connect the TV from the Sonos app. Although it plays well from the soundbar, the app does not recognize it at properly syncing.

I can navigate through the walkthrough and when I get to the test connection step, It returns “ARC mode not connected.”

My diagnostic error code is: 1610412235

Cheers,

Matt

Hi team, any update or idea on next steps?

cheers,

matt 

Hi team, any update or idea on next steps?

cheers,

matt 

Matt,

If you have not done this already, in the LG Connector under bluetooth/soundbar heading, ensure the Sonos ARC is setup correctly - when you get to the manufacturers page you may have to type in ‘sonos’ to find the manufacturer to select that. This will assist with the magic remote universal remote connection.

If you are still encountering issues after this, then perhaps try temporarily switching off eARC on your HDMI-2 port in the TV Sound settings, to return to normal HDMI-ARC and then try again… don’t forget to switch the port back afterwards to eARC for Dolby Atmos (uncompressed audio codec purposes).

I would also suggest setting the TV ports to “pass-through” the audio received from other HDMI connected devices and configure the audio-out codecs on those ‘other’ devices, rather than having the TV processing/transcoding their signal.

Install the latest software update for the TV. Then unplug both the tv and the Arc for 10 minutes.  Are you using the HGMI labeled eARC on the GX?  On the GX go into settings by long pressing the gar on the magic remote, then connections then device connector. Try settings up the sonos that way through the tv. (if the above fails)

I would say last resort is factory reset the Arc, then delete the app and do the process over again. Let us know! 

I have exactly same issues with my LG 65GX, were you able to resolve the issue?

Same problem here, LG CX series and arc tried all of the above, no luck. Any updates?

I’m no further ahead, i have another thread open “Issues connection LG GX65 with SONOS ARC” unfortunately none of the help given thus far has made any difference, time to go back to John Lewis and ask for more help

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience in this.

At this point, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look at this and discuss it with all of you individually in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi Annazel,

I’m planning to install an LG GX65 with Sonos Arc next week and was a little worried reading through these comments and the other similar threads, especially as I’m having a professional installer put all wires in the wall with no access. Anything I should make sure to do to help improve chances of successful pairing?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey, I’m planning the same set-up - any news on the topic?

Thanks

Same here - planning an LG OLED55GX with Sonos Arc. Any updates of the issue to be aware of before I press “Buy”?
Thanks in advance,
-jul

for me it worked out just fine.

Sonos Arc & LG CX 77” here and having the same issues setting up even after running through all of the troubleshooting ideas above

I am also having the same problem trying to connect the LG Magic remote of my LG 65CX so it can adjust Sonos Arc. nothing seems to work. I will reach out to Sonos Support to see if they are able to find a solution.

I reached out to Sonos support. This was the answer I received:

”I would recommend contacting the manufacturer [LG] for them to assist you in programming the remote from RF to IR remote for it to work with Sonos”

This implies that it will never work as I expected and the LG 65CX magic remote will never be able to control the Sonos.

Has anyone had success in pairing the magic remote with the Sonos Arc? I assume not and  we have to live with the inability of the (not so) magic remote operating the Arc.

Hi, I have an LG oled c1 and I'm having the same issues with my new arc that was bought today. Is there any solution?.. I tried everything mentioned above..

My issue resolved itself! I bought from Richer Sounds. They were very helpful and sent a member of the local shop to my home with a new Arc and Beam to check all settings. I had been away for 2 weeks and when I came to demonstrate the problem of the LG remote not working, it worked!!! So the remote now does all it should, volume up and down as well as mute. I had contacted LG and Sonia, but got nowhere. I wondered if LG had done a software upgrade to make it work. So I did nothing more,  except for following the settings advice earlier in this thread. 

My issue resolved itself! I bought from Richer Sounds. They were very helpful and sent a member of the local shop to my home with a new Arc and Beam to check all settings. I had been away for 2 weeks and when I came to demonstrate the problem of the LG remote not working, it worked!!! So the remote now does all it should, volume up and down as well as mute. I had contacted LG and Sonia, but got nowhere. I wondered if LG had done a software upgrade to make it work. So I did nothing more,  except for following the settings advice earlier in this thread. 

Mine still doesn’t work. Do you still get the arc mode not connected message?

Hi, I have an LG oled c1 and I'm having the same issues with my new arc that was bought today. Is there any solution?.. I tried everything mentioned above..

Hi,

I have the same TV as you and cannot place ATMOS, did you have any luck to get it to work?

Hi after hard resetting the TV all is OK…

What  do you mean by not getting atmos? What content?and where from?

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m only getting stereo PCM from Netflix & Prime etc. I’ve plugged in a HDMI into input 2 on my LG C1 so not sure what I’m doing wrong? 

Did you check the cable is Hdmi 2.1?