Arc with LG B7 - no Atmos

Badge

I just swapped out my playbase with an Arc.  It sounds great, but I am trying to get it to play Dolby Atmos content.  I have a 2017 LG OLED B7 TV that has an ARC output (not eARc).  I have found a few streaming sources with Dolby Atmos content, but it will only play through the TV speakers (when switches to internal speaker). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

47 replies

Badge

Hi,

Have you managed to get the B7 to play sound via the HDMI or only via optical - I have a 55B7V which won’t output to the Sonos Arc via HDMI  - no joy as yet getting a fix from LG!

Userlevel 3
Badge

No Atmos on my LG C7 either, my previous Onkyo receiver played Atmos just fine from my C7 :-(

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

check your settings to make sure Sound>Sound Out>Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) is selected and then the Digital Sound Out suboption is set to Auto. it’s probably a good thing to check to make sure HDMI-CEC (control and auto setup) is on in General>SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC).

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks, alle those settings are correct here 🤷🏼‍♂️

Badge

Same with mine... 

Response from LG is that TV should work but they don't know why it isn't and have passed to technicians but no further reply yet!

At least the optical works I guess in meantime but was looking forward to Atmos!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sound over HDMI ARC works to the Sonos Arc but nothing higher (Atmos) than DD+

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

definitely looks like a bug in LG firmware - i hope they resolve it for you soon and glad they noted it SHOULD work.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It does work with other audio but not with the Sonos Arc, zo I don’t think it’s an LG issue

Badge

Ah, I was working on assumption it was LG issue as my arc works with another TV but not with the LG... No sound at all via HDMI arc on LG only by the optical output…

Unfortunately don't have a spare soundbar lying around that plugs via arc to check the TV...

Badge

My LG C7 works perfectly with the arc and plays Atmos on Netflix Native App and through AppleTV without any problems.

Badge

I have tried with native apps, Firestick 4k and XBOX One S.  No luck with any of them.

Userlevel 3
Badge

My LG C7 works perfectly with the arc and plays Atmos on Netflix Native App and through AppleTV without any problems.

I don’t understand why that is, it works for some and for some it won’t 

I tried using different hdmi cables, power cycle everything, check settings over and over

I can confirm that Atmos is also working on my C7 from Apple TV. 

Make sure you follow all the instructions here in the optical/arc section and make sure your digital output is set to dobly digital plus.

http://"Help library: [LG webOS TV] – Sound output options | LG Canada" https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437136302910 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I can confirm that Atmos is also working on my C7 from Apple TV. 

Hi

is the lip sync all ok when outputting through ATV?  I assume the ATV goes to the C7 and then C7 to Arc?

thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Can also confirm my 65B7 passes through Atmos via Netflix, must be something in the settings

Userlevel 3
Badge

And today: fired up my AppleTV 4K, started a movie with Atmos and: Atmos coming from the Sonos Arc… did not change anything, iTunes Movies, Netflix all stream Atmos now 🤷🏼

Badge

Very frustrating.  All settings seem to be correct, but neither native apps nor apps on 4k firestick will play atmos.  TV firmware is up to date.  I am using the hdmi cable that came with the sound bar which I assume supports ARC but will try another cable.

Hello - I have a LG C7 that is plugged into my playbase using the optical.  i have a sub and 2 ones as surround.  all I ever see in the Sonos app is 2.0 stereo. this cant be correct can it?  having said all of this, the system DOES sound amazing, i just need to some indication I’m getting the sound i should be.

are there certian settings on the TV that should be set a certian way?  I have ARC/Optical as sound out.

thanks in advance

Derek

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hello - I have a LG C7 that is plugged into my playbase using the optical.  i have a sub and 2 ones as surround.  all I ever see in the Sonos app is 2.0 stereo. this cant be correct can it?  having said all of this, the system DOES sound amazing, i just need to some indication I’m getting the sound i should be.

are there certian settings on the TV that should be set a certian way?  I have ARC/Optical as sound out.

thanks in advance

Derek

make sure the LG C7 Settings>Sound>Sound Out - is set to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) and the submenu Digital Sound Out is set to Auto. my guess would be it might have been set to PCM. the LG C7 manual section for this is here.

David 82- you are correct- so now it reads 5.1, but only for apps on the TV - Vudu, sling, etc.  usually I watch these through the roku.  I can’t believe that all this time I never had the correct sound...thanks so much!!! I’m forever in your debt

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

David 82- you are correct- so now it reads 5.1, but only for apps on the TV - Vudu, sling, etc.  usually I watch these through the roku.  I can’t believe that all this time I never had the correct sound...thanks so much!!! I’m forever in your debt

you’re very welcome.  it should also work with your Roku - you might check/refresh its HDMI settings to make sure it is detecting the new 5.1 capable path to your Playbase.  i had a Playbase previously and a Roku Ultra at one point with it that worked very well so it SHOULD be possible. :-)

No love with the roku- I have the ultra and the playbase, same as you so I’ll figure it out!  Thanks again!

Badge

Anyone having any success with Atmos?  I have checked every setting possible including on HDMI2.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yep - I got my Arc yesterday and it works on my B7. 

Have you double checked that you’ve unchecked the ‘HDMI Deep Colour’ setting on the HDMI channel the Arc is connected to? You need to set the TV to HDMI 2 to do this, and go to Setting - General - HDMI Deep Colour if I recall correctly.