Arc vs Beam vs In-Wall Architecture

• 17 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello-

I just moved into a house after 15 years of condos and I want to maximize the space/sound.   We have an open floor plan on the first floor and listen to music a ton.  I am debating between these 3 Items and this is mostly for music:

1- Sonos Architecture In-Wall Speakers

2- Sonos Arc by the TV above the fireplace (had a company come out and they said this would be the best sound and easiest to install)

3- Beam by the tv

I do have a bunch of one’s I can connect as well that could provide more sound.   Would welcome any feedback on best ideas/sound.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

For larger rooms in our home I opted to go with the Sonos Arc, Sub and rear surrounds, set at/near head height (when seated) and that sounds fantastic. In the smaller Dining Room I did the same, but used a Beam instead and in the Bedroom I also installed a Beam, surrounds placed on bedside units, but no Sub …and I’m impressed with the Beam in both those rooms aswell. So depending on the room-size that seems the easiest things to perhaps go with.

Sonos Architectural speakers, I haven’t tried personally, but I’m sure they will sound equally as good. but once in place, it makes it difficult to change a Room layout and if you move home you can’t take them with you, or decide to use them elsewhere in the Home as new products emerge, so for those reasons I’m not a fan of fixed features for audio, but I guess they do reduce clutter and save on space etc; 

My own preference therefore leans slightly more towards using a Sonos Soundbar, with separate ‘moveable’ surround speakers and/or a Sub.

This is great thank you!

Since you stated you’re mostly listening to music, I would go with an amp and good pair of passive speakers (in wall or otherwise) to get better stereo separation.  The amp can also connect to your TVfor that audio.  If your interest is more on the TV audio side, then I would recommend the Arc for it’s ability to play higher codecs, including atmos.

In either case, compliment it with a sub.

Thanks Danny!  I think it comes down to how easy/hard the in wall are to install.   Really appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can’t optimize both space and sound, you have to pick a balance.

Sound: A good AVR box, some good sized R/L speakers, a center, surrounds and sub(s) and a Port.

Space: Arc, Sonos One SL or possibly Ikea picture frame surrounds and a Sonos Sub or two.

I pretty much had the first but with a ZP-80 instead of a Port and I can assure you that there was no comparison to Sonos speaker units. Never had the guts to crank it all the way up, worried about breaking the patio door or picture window. Price-wise it was over triple what the replacement Sonos cost, would be more today.

Now I have an Arc, Play 1 surrounds and a Sub in the same space. Far easier to use, far less space gone, far fewer wires and everyone can use it without having to follow my written Instructions on the settings needed.

In reality the only things I miss are the lack of Center Channel control that is a huge aggravation and a bit of the stereo sound-stage for music which isn’t a big deal.

Amazing thanks….anyone have an experience with in wall/ceiling?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Been years but a friend had in-wall, sucked for the space behind the wall and not a lot of bottom end due to the small space available.

Ceiling can work but you have the same behind the speaker issues, that can be mitigated with a good acoustic cover if there is access and space. If on the top/only floor you can see heat issues in hotter climates. I’ve replaced more than one speaker with environmental heat damage in hot country.

Either way DO NOT let your electrician run cheap wire for the speakers, had that in my last house and half the wire’s insulation rotted and shorted the conductors in the 5 years between it being built and sold. In this house the first owner ran indoor, clear with gold and silver conductor cheap stuff, it is under the insulation but is very brittle and you don’t dare touch the attic stuff. He just left lengths coming out of holes in the sheet-rock inside and that was cracking too. Managed to salvage enough to put on a nice cover and binding posts. Again, both were hot country but cooler would just be slower rotting. Don’t save a few cents per inch, get good wire!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d think twice about positioning the TV above a fireplace too. Not only would the fireplace when on distract severely from the TV image, this position would also possibly result in heat issues, and, most importantly, it will almost certainly be also very high up on the wall, which isn’t advised. This problem will be worse because the Arc needs extra space between it and the TV.