Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

750 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Just wanted to let everyone know that Sonos sent me a replacement Arc. After 5 hours , it also had an audio drop off issue when I was watching tv then switched to Netflix. I’m wondering if it’s the tv’s now and not the Arc’s. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

But we are seeing the problem with different TV’s. Samsung, LG and Sony are all having problems. I have a LG B9 and im having exactly the same problem as a user with a LG CX.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Krishma M I think an update from the engineering team is overdue regarding this issue. Could you reassure Sonos Arc buyers that a fix is indeed coming soon?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So with the new firmware update eARC is really important when using an Apple tv. If not enabled the support for LPCM wont work. I really hope there is a fix in the new firmware or else it will suck using an arc and Apple tv.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Its not fixed!!! Literally the first time i switch to my cable channels the sound drops completely. I had to switch eARC off and on for the audio to come back.

This is not ok! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just wanted to let everyone know that Sonos sent me a replacement Arc. After 5 hours , it also had an audio drop off issue when I was watching tv then switched to Netflix. I’m wondering if it’s the tv’s now and not the Arc’s. 

What you’re seeing is that you didnt have a faulty Arc - they are all bad!  It’s not the TV’s fault, there is a clear design flaw with the Arc that we are all waiting for news on a fix.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Happening now even when changing channels within the same (YoutubeTV) app. Not good. How long is the warranty? Really thinking of returning it. $800 is just too expensive for it to not work correctly. 

Same issue Samsung 55 frame tv.  Sonos arc audio cuts in and out.  Has it professionally installed and the don’t know what to do .  Hopefully there is a software fix for this available very soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Reading on reddit and it seems as if a lot of people are having eARC issues. The new firmware update properly made more people switch to eARC and now they are experiencing audio drops.

Sonos should really get moving on this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Just came here to ask if this update fixes the drops, oh well, more waiting it seems.:disappointed:

From the consensus it seems the short audio dropouts or complete audio drop outs happen a lot with the Samsung and LG TVs. In fact I think it happens with any TV that has eARC activated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I replaced an LG SN8YG sound bar with an Arc. I had the same problem with the LG sound bar…..UNLESS I ran the HDMI between the Apple TV and the sound bar, and then from the sound bar to the TV, 

Of course, that’s not an option with the Arc. So I’m left with the following via process of elimination: problem is either with the AppleTV or with the LG TV eARC.

I guess I could plug in another streaming device and see if that works. It’s unfortunate that every other device is missing an app (Apple TV for google, HBO max for amazon)...ugh....

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I had a beam before getting an arc and there were no problems at all. But with the arc using hdmi ARC i have small problems and huge problems with eARC.

Im pretty sure its either a hardware or software issue with Sonos arc. And if its hardware then they better realize it fast so all the people who bought expensive equipment can get it exchanged and enjoy the full experience.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am not sure if it’s eARC that’s the problem or the Apple TV. 

It is NOT the Sonos. As I said, I had this exact same issue with the LG sound bar. The only workaround was to put the Apple TV into the sound bar (it has an HDMI in and out) 

The Arc doesn’t have an HDMI in and HDMI out, so that’s not going to work. 

I have not reached out to LG support...the TV I have had Atmos speakers built in (such as they are)….and if I’m just using the built ins, I don’t have the problem. So it’s either the signal from the LG TV to the Arc or the Apple TV signal to the LG.

(Just to be sure, my Apple TV outputs audio to the TV -- nothing else -- over HDMI, and then there’s the eARC connected between the Arc and the TV. If anyone has any different settings with success I’m all ears.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I had the problem before getting an ATV and just using the native apps. And i had a beam connected to the same tv for 5 months without any problem at all. But after getting the arc i had problems with both “normal” arc and eARC with the later being most anoying because i lose audio completly.

ATV 4K has not changed anything other than i have to use eARC now to get LPCM and therefore i lose audio reguarly.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am not sure if it’s eARC that’s the problem or the Apple TV. 

It is NOT the Sonos. As I said, I had this exact same issue with the LG sound bar. The only workaround was to put the Apple TV into the sound bar (it has an HDMI in and out) 

The Arc doesn’t have an HDMI in and HDMI out, so that’s not going to work. 

I have not reached out to LG support...the TV I have had Atmos speakers built in (such as they are)….and if I’m just using the built ins, I don’t have the problem. So it’s either the signal from the LG TV to the Arc or the Apple TV signal to the LG.

(Just to be sure, my Apple TV outputs audio to the TV -- nothing else -- over HDMI, and then there’s the eARC connected between the Arc and the TV. If anyone has any different settings with success I’m all ears.

I understand your reasoning to determine that it is not the Sonos Arc soundbar's fault in your case. At the same time, there are numerous people having different TVs with the same problem using Sonos Arc soundbar. 

That leads me to the following question: Could it be a more profound issue with eARC specs affecting multiple manufacturers?

Sonos & Samsung has solved the issue. I recently purchased the Samsung TU7000 4K TV (with eARC) along with the Sonos Arc, 2 One SL’s and Sub. I also purchased the Apple TV4K for Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. I tried it out, and updated both the Sonos and Samsung, and they do not have a problem with arc cutting in and out from TV. I also have Dolby Atmos when I watch Disney+ through my ATV 4K. Just wanted to keep anyone looking to purchase this same setup - yes, it works.

This is really upsetting that there is not a way to find the cause. It’s so easy for each company to say it’s the other company’s fault. I have pretty much had this cutting in and out issue after watching something in Atmos on Apple TV 4K, then watching pretty much anything else, on Apple TV, on My TiVo Edge, etc. The way I’ve come to resolve for the tome being is unplugging the TV and waiting a bit to watch something else. Everything is up to date, my 65CX LG tv, my Apple TV 4K, my Sonos Arc, as well as my TiVo Edge. Someone needs to do something!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yep add me to the list. After the Arc update today to 12.2 I’m getting the constant drop outs with my LG CX after swapping from Atmos to non Atmos content. The awful experience continues.

This issue has finally been resolved for me today with the arc update. (Samsung frame tv)
4 months was way too long for a resolution. 

Hi. I experienced the same issue yesterday. It was like the Arc had frozen. TV audio kicked in. The white light on the Arc flashed quickly for over a minute and then the Arc kicked back in. 

Mine is connected to a 2020 model Sony A85.

That sounds like the Arc was perhaps receiving the recent firmware update - so I assume you have automatic updates enabled in the Sonos App. You may need to update your Sonos App software too, if you perhaps haven’t done that already?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This issue has finally been resolved for me today with the arc update. (Samsung frame tv)

Is there somewhere where we can read the release notes to see if the fix for this issue has been addressed? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Unfortunately, even after the update, I encounter the sound cut issue with eARC enabled.
Switching it off on my TV is still the only workaround for my setup. (Sony bravia x900h)

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yep add me to the list. After the Arc update today to 12.2 I’m getting the constant drop outs with my LG CX after swapping from Atmos to non Atmos content. The awful experience continues.

Same here on LG CX

Not all the time but enough to make it annoying.

My latest dropouts were yesterday, started apple tv 4k, went to watch something in Atmos, no audio at all.

Backed out tried tried show again, audio was fine.

Another issue that occurs sometimes is after watching atmos content and then going straight to something in dolby 5.1 I get stuttering audio.

I exhibit these issues on apple 4k tv, but have had dropouts on other devices to, I notice more so via apple box because I use that the most.

Is there somewhere where we can read the release notes to see if the fix for this issue has been addressed? 

You will find the release notes for Sonos updates here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can we please get some feedback from Sonos about if this is hardware or software related?