Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

750 replies

Userlevel 2

Totally echo the points above re an update on this issue being required. Dropping output from anything other than atmos is not a solution as the arc is meant to be the Sonos Atmos solution and is the reason I purchased one in the first place. I don’t think it is acceptable at this price point.

I am personally considering returning the Arc and potentially getting out of the Sonos ecosystem altogether if I have to go for a different Atmos solution. 

I am getting the intermittent 10 second drop out of sound regularly on my ARC with a Sony 2020 XH90. Running most up to date firmware on both devices. It has certainly happened more since the Sony firmware update to enable 2.1 HDMI.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have just updated to the latest firmware (05.00.02) on my lg b9, but no change. Still the same problems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It is annoying that this issue is still present after so many months, I just had to go back and forth between sources my LG CX to get my xbox to play sound from the sonos arc, its like eARC has some issue establishing an audio connection.

eARC needs some serious tweaking TV manufactures end and Sonos. 

I just ordered over $3000 worth of Sonos speakers including the Arc.  I am planning on getting the LG CX65 to go with it but now I’m nervous I’m not even going to be able to watch a movie after reading this thread.  As a workaround, does it work to use the digital audio output?  If so, what does that output from a Dolby perspective? What would I lose?

It is annoying that this issue is still present after so many months, I just had to go back and forth between sources my LG CX to get my xbox to play sound from the sonos arc, its like eARC has some issue establishing an audio connection.

eARC needs some serious tweaking TV manufactures end and Sonos. 

It is odd that it is taking  four months to resolve this issue. I am starting to think that this is not fixable via Sonos firmware / software updates or it would have been done by now. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi folks and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that our engineers are working on a permanent fix so you can smoothly use and enjoy the Sonos Arc with your TV. We have tagged my response as the best answer to easily provide the workarounds and updates for everybody. We keep track of every thread especially the threads with ongoing issues. We’ll keep you all posted here once we have an available update for you. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi @Krishma M, do you have an estimated release date for the permanent fix your engineers are working on?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

After keeping record of the dates my Arc has acted up, I requested a new Arc be supplied to me in exchange for the one I have. Sonos agreed and it’s on the way. However, after learning it’s a refurbished unit , it will be declined. I paid for a new unit, not refurbished, and expect a new unit in return . Very disappointed in SONOS for this. I won’t be buying anymore SONOS products . 

Sadly having the same issue on my arc, it happens every so often and a reboot of the arc is required.

Samsung 2019 Q85 - I have to say with all the different TVs and models there is one common denominator which is the Arc. @Krishma M - Sonos need to own this as a SONOS issue and not pass the buck to other suppliers.

for those with Samsung’s and don’t want to ar*e around pulling plugs out for a hard reset I’ve just found by going to Settings > Sound > Expert Settings > Dolby Atmos Compatibility —— toggling this setting off and on solved without hard reboots....

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

:frowning2: I'm thinking of returning my Sonos ARC if the issue does not get fixed before my return window. 

:triumph:  It is not acceptable having to disable the eARC feature permanently to avoid the bug or having to disrupt the viewing experience almost every hour to reset settings / hard reboot devices to make such an expensive soundbar work.

:telephone_receiver: I'll try to contact Sonos support by phone this week to get a more precise estimate for a patch release date.

:calendar: But since this thread has been going on for months, I really fear it won't be anytime soon. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Florentcm Unfortunately for me, calling them has been even bigger dead end and a waste of time.  At least here, other prospective buyers or buyers who have return windows open can make a decision with the facts.  Also, once in a while, @Krishma M does respond and is trying to be helpful but this is unreal how long this is taking.  If this doesn’t get resolved, Sonos brand will just become irrelevant but it also seems simple enough they can fix this - I have other Sonos TV speakers and never had an issue, only with this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Florentcm Unfortunately for me, calling them has been even bigger dead end and a waste of time.  At least here, other prospective buyers or buyers who have return windows open can make a decision with the facts.  Also, once in a while, @Krishma M does respond and is trying to be helpful but this is unreal how long this is taking.  If this doesn’t get resolved, Sonos brand will just become irrelevant but it also seems simple enough they can fix this - I have other Sonos TV speakers and never had an issue, only with this.

Simply email the CEO like I did. They will respond with an email you to set up a time and date to discuss your issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After keeping record of the dates my Arc has acted up, I requested a new Arc be supplied to me in exchange for the one I have. Sonos agreed and it’s on the way. However, after learning it’s a refurbished unit , it will be declined. I paid for a new unit, not refurbished, and expect a new unit in return . Very disappointed in SONOS for this. I won’t be buying anymore SONOS products . 

Replacing it won’t help. You will have the same problem.  It is clearly a critical design flaw.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Replacing it won’t help. You will have the same problem.  It is clearly a critical design flaw.  

Well, received the refurbished unit today and won’t be opening it up. Sending it back Monday. 

Really, you owe it to yourself to at least try a different HDMI cable.

Spent a week with new OLED65CX and Sonos ARC intermittently losing ATMOS connection. Would see flashing volume indicator and ATMOS indicator on screen requiring me to restart TV to resolve. Had purchased new "High Speed 4K HDMI" cables which appeared to be very well constructed. Tried all manner of setting changes noted here and elsewhere. Turns out a simple swap to the flimsy appearing HDMI cable that came with Sonos ARC resolved all issues. Hope this saves someone a little heartache on their new purchase!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Spent a week with new OLED65CX and Sonos ARC intermittently losing ATMOS connection. Would see flashing volume indicator and ATMOS indicator on screen requiring me to restart TV to resolve. Had purchased new "High Speed 4K HDMI" cables which appeared to be very well constructed. Tried all manner of setting changes noted here and elsewhere. Turns out a simple swap to the flimsy appearing HDMI cable that came with Sonos ARC resolved all issues. Hope this saves someone a little heartache on their new purchase!

Hi

What are you audio settings on CX.

I get the odd complete drop changing between sources, I tried different cables and still same, so switched back to sonos supplied hdmi cable, but no resolution yet.

Thanks

ledzep1,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Sound Out = HDMI ARC

Additional Settings:

• HDMI Input = Bitstream
  • LG Sound Sync = off
  • Digital Sound Out = Pass Through
  • eARC = On
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

ledzep1,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Sound Out = HDMI ARC

Additional Settings:

• HDMI Input = Bitstream
  • LG Sound Sync = off
  • Digital Sound Out = Pass Through
  • eARC = On

Thank you 

Same I think, my issue is that when changing between sources can be anything, for example exiting internal netflix app back to live TV the sound will drop, or turning on xbox one x to play a game and the game will have no sound.

I can remedy it by switching back and forth between sources or switching eARC off and on.

It happens occasionally, I hope a firmware sorts it soon though, as to pay such a large sum for the ARC and Sub and have these issues like many of us is a shame.

Another instance, was the other day I was watching Ted Lasso on Apple 4k box, watched 2 episodes fine in atmos, played episode 3 and no sound, so had to turn eARC off and on to get sound back.

Just seems like the sonos ARC and eARC connection is not very stable and craps out a lot at any random time, I never seem to have a drop occur during watching something though, always before I start something.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Sorry..doesn’t solve everyone’s problem including mine. I’ve tried 3 different cables and still have audio drop. You may think your issue is resolved, but maybe not. It might drop again on you in 30 days...as others have experienced, but thought they had resolved the issue. Problem could appear again in a couple I’d days, or a couple of weeks . We can’t make it happen to troubleshoot. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just switched back to the “old” Sonos cable and using the same settings as DaRealDrPhil on my Lg b9… Lets see if it solves the problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Nope. Sadly it changed nothing and the problems are still there.

Just purchased an Arc and I seem to be having a similar issue. Voice/speech sound regularly jumps between being clear and then tinny/faint. Quite strange and very annoying.

It seems these issues have been going for a while, so I’m fairly inclined to return the whole system unless a fix is on the way. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have tried different cables, different settings, different apps, different TVs. I had different Sonos products, the Beam, work on the TVs in question with no issue. I had the problem not come back for weeks at a time, I had problem come back within minutes.  There is definitely an underlying issue somewhere with the Sonos Arc.  Don't think a temporarily fix is really your solution - we need to push for Sonos to come up with a real solution.  My guess on why it is taking longer to fix is because like many users, they themselves are not able to replicate it constantly.  Not being able to do that makes it definitely harder.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any update, Sonos?

Is cause of problem known?

Timeline for a fix?

I have just purchased the Arc and a Sony A8H 65 inch TV. I am experiencing multiple audio drop outs where the sound just stops. I have to flick the pass through setting in the TV to Auto and then off again to get the sound back. Prior to the Arc having no sound I can hear small drop outs in my setup (arc, sub gen 3 and 2 one SLs). It happens on Atoms audio. If I use PCM which defeats the point of the setup as it's only registers stereo 2.0 I do not experience the issue (so far). It is almost as if the arc's memory is overflowing due to the greater audio demand. I really hope this is not a hardware issue and can be fixed with a software update.

I have replicated it about 8 times on our planet episode 1 (2019) on Netflix at the same point (about 25 seconds in). Just tried it again PCM works OK then Atmos drops out at the same point. Replicated this over multiple days. Anyone else getting this issue at the same point on a stream?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Do we know if this is a hardware or software issue? If its a software issue then you would think that more people would complain about it. 

eARC is completly broken for me and im having a hard time understanding why the problem is still there.