Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

748 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I reporting the same issue on the Sony A9G, connected on earc with the Arc connected to ethernet.

Initally I thought it might be TV related; well we have now seen reports on Sony, Samsung and LG devices. Then I thought it might be OS related; well we have seen reports on TVs running

Android TV - Sony A9G

Samsung’s Tizen platform - Q80R

webOS - LG C9

So all of this still tends me to think this is an issue with the Sonos ARC.

EXACTLY!!!  It is clearly an issue with the Sonos Arc, impacting pretty much any TV that matters.  Am hoping Sonos gives at least an indication they acknowledge the issue and are working on a fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I was just watching a movie with the kids and i had some audio drops…

Diagnostic: 53159555

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

And now the audio dropped completly. It happend when i changed the channel and the audio came back when i changed back to the previous channel.

Diagnostic: 601904730

Badge

I have the same here. Samsung Q60. At least once a week. My first experience of Sonos. Love the arc when it works, but can’t believe I have to pull the power cable on my £800 Soundbar regularly to get it to work :-(. I hope there is a fix soon.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Kills me that this thread status is “Answered”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

And now the audio dropped completly. It happend when i changed the channel and the audio came back when i changed back to the previous channel.

That’s what happens to me with Arc and Lg cx.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that our engineers are working on a permanent fix so you can smoothly use and enjoy the Sonos Arc with your TV. We have tagged my response as the best answer to easily provide the workarounds and updates for everybody. We keep track of every thread especially the threads with ongoing issues. We’ll keep you all posted here once we have an available update for you. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Me too. Literally thought the audio had cut out on the TV channel. For me, might have been when going from 2 ch to DD 5.1 between the two TV channels.

Userlevel 2

I have exactly the same problem with a Samsung TV and periodic drop outs of audio from the Arc (cutting in and out). I have to unselect atmos in the expert settings and then re-select to resume the audio. It’s good to know that there is a fix being worked upon as I couldn’t understand how wifi interference would cause issues with the HDMI connection.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Me too. Literally thought the audio had cut out on the TV channel. For me, might have been when going from 2 ch to DD 5.1 between the two TV channels.

Yeah for me it almost always happens when switching from stereo channels to channels with 5.1.

I forgot to mention another problem im experiencing when using the regular hdmi arc. Sometimes when i watch a movie where the sound is supposed to be 5.1 i only receive 2.0. When i toggle either eARC on off or the source (hdmi arc to intern speakers) i will get 5.1 again.

I experience the same issue with my Arc.  It is connected to a Samsung TV and the sound cuts in and out.  Once I reboot the Arc it works for a day or so and then the problem returns.  Never had this problem with the Beam.  I expect more for this expensive of a device.  I have tried various HDMI cables...the same one that works fine on the Beam has issues with the Arc.  So far not impressed with the Arc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Have the same issue. Arc with 2020 Samsung Q80T. Changing internal apps, and even sometimes changing channels within YoutubeTV causes sound to drop and not come back. It’s like the video and audio pauses while changing channels or sources; the video returns but not the audio until you “wake it up”. For example, changing audio setting briefly (to internal speakers and then back to Arc) fixes it, but very annoying to have to do this while trying to enjoy $4000 worth of hardware.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

I see all these threads about audio dropping but most seem to be short sound drops, in my case I have complete audio dropping and not coming back.

Anyone with the same issue, perhaps report it in here.

I have the LG CX and I lose sound all together when changing between sources, this can be simply exiting the Netflix app back to live TV or turning on my xbox and not having an audio outputting, all very random when it occurs.

Various things can bring back the audio, simple on/off off tv, or switching back and forth between sources.

So if anyone else has the same issue, I would love to hear, because I worry that I’m alone with this and it may be a hardware issue.

I’m getting a bit fed up with this issue, had the ARC nearly 3 months and just want to be sure its something that others experience, I don't mind waiting for a fix if that’s the case.

Same is but with Samsung Q80T. Discouraged that issue has been kicking around for months with no resolution. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just saw an update and updated my Samsung TV to version 1402.

Is this the same as 1402.1?

I having the same problem with 1402.1. 

Answered but unresolved. Guess that will trick  potential buyers to dive in. Nice. Premium experience. Have had this issue since owning the arc. LG C8. Just assumed that’s how it’s gonna be. 

All, i’ve been having the same problem for at least 6 months with my Beam and Samsung TV (frame TV).   I’m tired of talking to Sonos support after so many countless hours on the phone.  Sonos keep finger pointing to Samsung as their easy way out of the problem.  I hope they fix this for you all.  My advice is to return your arc while you are still in the return window or you will be stuck with a device that does not work as intended.

My Q95T just got an update. Immediate effect is that eArc startes working. Have to wait and see wether the sound cutting issue is also resolved. In any case progress has been made since the eArc function didn’t work at all previously.

Have the same issue. Arc with 2020 Samsung Q80T. Changing internal apps, and even sometimes changing channels within YoutubeTV causes sound to drop and not come back. It’s like the video and audio pauses while changing channels or sources; the video returns but not the audio until you “wake it up”. For example, changing audio setting briefly (to internal speakers and then back to Arc) fixes it, but very annoying to have to do this while trying to enjoy $4000 worth of hardware.

Exact same issue here. Something with switching back to other apps from YouTube. I have the exact same TV as well. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same TV across the house and my other TVs have Beam, purchased the same time as the Arc.  I have not had issues with the Beam, only the Arc - really hope it doesn’t show up in the Beam as well.  Everything just simply connected via HDMI.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Similar issue here.

Equipment:

• Sony X900H purchased in June, latest firmware as of today.
  • Sonos Arc purchased in July, latest firmware as of today.
  • HDMI cable: Zeskit Ultra HD High Speed 48 Gbps

It seems like the issue really started occurring for me after the new firmware upgrade on the Sony X900H that came out a few weeks ago. I currently have the eARC setting set to Auto, HDMI 3 input set to Standard for the Sonos Arc. Audio passthrough set to Auto.

The issue manifests itself as the following:

• either the sound completely drops for about 10 to 15 seconds before resuming normally,
  • or the volume drops dramatically for about 1 second and then resumes normally.

Either way, this completely ruins the watching experience.

On the first occurrence about two weeks ago, I did end up restarting the TV and the Arc, and that did fix the issue for about a day, but the issue has repeated itself at the same interval ever since.

If I had to guess, I would say the issue occurs every 3 to 5 hours of watching content. The source seems irrelevant as I have noted the issue on any of the native tv apps (youtube, disney, amazon, netflix, etc.).

Looking forward to a quick resolution… I would hate to have to post a negative review on this otherwise excellent product. Hope Sonos takes this as seriously as they should.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Similar issue here.

Equipment:

• Sony X900H purchased in June, latest firmware as of today.
  • Sonos Arc purchased in July, latest firmware as of today.
  • HDMI cable: Zeskit Ultra HD High Speed 48 Gbps

It seems like the issue really started occurring for me after the new firmware upgrade on the Sony X900H that came out a few weeks ago. I currently have the eARC setting set to Auto, HDMI 3 input set to Standard for the Sonos Arc. Audio passthrough set to Auto.

The issue manifests itself as the following:

• either the sound completely drops for about 10 to 15 seconds before resuming normally,
  • or the volume drops dramatically for about 1 second and then resumes normally.

Either way, this completely ruins the watching experience.

On the first occurrence about two weeks ago, I did end up restarting the TV and the Arc, and that did fix the issue for about a day, but the issue has repeated itself at the same interval ever since.

If I had to guess, I would say the issue occurs every 3 to 5 hours of watching content. The source seems irrelevant as I have noted the issue on any of the native tv apps (youtube, disney, amazon, netflix, etc.).

Looking forward to a quick resolution… I would hate to have to post a negative review on this otherwise excellent product. Hope Sonos takes this as seriously as they should.

The 10 to 15 second audio drop just occurred for the second time today while watching Youtube with the native app. I submitted a diagnostic as it happened. Here is the number: 699953878.

My Q95T just got an update. Immediate effect is that eArc startes working. Have to wait and see wether the sound cutting issue is also resolved. In any case progress has been made since the eArc function didn’t work at all previously.

Didn’t help - the saga continues.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Ecotone I’ve got the exact same TV and cable setup with the sonos arc.
The only workaround I found to avoid the 10/15 secs audio issue was to disable eARC on the TV.

Let’s hope the fix comes soon from sonos because without eARC the soundbar seems like  a waste of money.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Florentcm thanks for the feedback! I was kind of suspecting eARC to be the issue since that coincided with the x900h’s hdmi 2.1 firmware update. Whoever’s ultimately responsible for the fix (Sony/Sonos), I certainly hope it gets addressed soon. 

I will try to switch back eARC to off and will report here to see if it helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi folks and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that our engineers are working on a permanent fix so you can smoothly use and enjoy the Sonos Arc with your TV. We have tagged my response as the best answer to easily provide the workarounds and updates for everybody. We keep track of every thread especially the threads with ongoing issues. We’ll keep you all posted here once we have an available update for you. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

While I appreciate finally getting an acknowledgement that there is a MAJOR problem with the Arc, it has been SOOOOO long with a premium product that my ‘patience and understanding’ have worn out.  Good thing we are in a pandemic and I dont have to ‘showcase’ my new Frame and Arc setup to friends by first explaining why I have to unplug the Arc every time I use it.

Specific question:  What is the targeted timeframe for a fix?  Within a month?  Quarter?  Year???  Needing to make a decision around replacing my Arc.  It is infuriating.  I am willing to wait a month or so, but my ‘patience and understanding’ for what used to be a company I loved and bragged on is now at it’s end.