Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

750 replies

Badge +1

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

I have a LG CX, and the problem has been brought up in this thread before, Atmos sound cuts out from Arc only during certain shows intermittently, and mainly when using Apple TV 4K. Is this being addressed also or should i create a different thread? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thank you for reaching out and welcome to all the new users here in the community. I understand where you all coming from and how much we would love this to be fixed and the team handling this is working and coordinating this already with the respective manufacturers. Will keep you all posted here once we have an update available for all users here. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

The issue persists here as well and for months on end. Doesn’t skip with anything else, except Samsung tv. No other hdmi-devices connected. Doesn’t skip with optical connection, only hdmi.

Rebooting Sonos fixes it, but unplug was a pain. My workaround is a Philips Hue plug for Sonos and remote control button for it, next to living room couch. I can now easily reboot it and tolerate it rebooting for 30-40 seconds.

Far from acceptable, but I can live with it for now. At somepoint, if no firmware fix appears, I’ll call support & ask for replacement.

Sad situation to be in. Also the Arc is recognised as Atmos device by tv, but not allowed to run as eArc device.

With all these problems, it looks like QC hasn’t been done properly or beta-testing has been very limited.

I have a Samsung QN75.  Same sound issues.  Have tried everything.

I own a Samsung Q95T - same issue with cutting sounds. I did already send diagnostic infos to the phone support, had multiple calls with them and the Samsung Support and tried everything possible but no solution. 

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Samsung Q80T

1 - initially used the Sonos supplied HDMI cable, thought that was the issue, then used an 8K 48Gbps dHDR eARC cable with 32 channel audio. Issue occurred with both, investigated, found this thread, posted weeks ago, and returned to using your Sonos supplied HDMI cable.

2 - obviously the arc is only connected to the Q80T. The only other device connected to the Q80T is an AppleTV 4K connected via a 4K 18Gbps eARC HDCP2.2 HDMI cable.

3 - this tv only uses AppleTV. No Smart TV apps and no Broadcast TV. Due to the infrequency of the issue, I’m uncertain whether it happens immediately upon turning it on, randomly after using it for a long period of time with consistent content, or when there’s a content change with different audio features.

4 - Samsung Q80T. The first workaround, as instructed by other Sonos reps in previous posts, works fine.

5 - I will say this - the issue is not a frequent occurrence. Which is tolerable for now but the bad news is that the infrequency makes it difficult to identify a cause or persuade me to return it. It has definitely stopped me from buying more Sonos products or recommending it.

In regards to having enough persuasion to return it, I’m getting there thanks to the regurgitated responses from Sonos and time wasted on something as insignificant as a sound bar.

Hopefully, this isn’t Sonos’ BS “best answer” for too long

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Anyone tried new sonos 12.1 firmware, any improvement on this issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just updated from 12.0.6 to 12.1 right now.  I will let everyone know if there is any changes.  However because this issue doesn’t occur on demand and randomly, it may take several days.  Also, prior to upgrading I also did not have the issue for last several days but I have used the TV very seldom in that period.  

I just purchased a new Sony KD55A85 and Sonos Arc only to find I am having similar problems to many others. Playing Dolby Digital soundtracks the sound is ok until the movie is paused or fast forwarded then I get sound dropout every second or so. The only way to stop with is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug back in again - not a good experience.

Both Arc and TV are on the latest software / firmware versions - this really need to be fixed asap

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Update doesn't seem to have fixed the issue for me, still get the rare drop out, but most annoying is the complete audio dropout when switching between sources occasionally.

To be fair I don’t think this update contained any fixes for our issues, just seems strange why its taking so long to improve/fix things, even the LPCM update is taking ages.

LG CX

Does all of the arc soundbars have this problem? One guy here said he had two and one doesn't have that problem.

I'm asking because I wanted to buy an arc but reading this thread I don't know anymore.

Badge

Valid point from Rtom, to have two of these units but have only one that has the issue is odd. Perhaps there was a bad batch, maybe sonos should contact customers who registered their units to get an idea.

From my point of view as previous post on page 6 I have a Samsung 90T connected to a Virgin V6 box. Then the Arc connected to the TV via eArc connection.

After initially having the issue I've now gone a month with no problems, my system is used on a regular basis and have been changing between the various sources...odd

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also had no issues for almost 2 months after I bought it.  The issue started randomly one day and it is very inconsistent.  There are days when it takes hours after a reboot to resurface and there are times when it takes days after to resurface.  I imagine inconsistency unfortunately probably means harder to debug.  I have not changed any settings or added new devices since day1, only connected to the TV and nothing else and have not used it in any other way.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hey Sonos..how about fixing the issue many are having with the ARC audio drop and sending us all an email on your progress and fix, and stop sending an email of free 6 months of Disney+ with the purchase of more speakers.

I wish I had found this thread before purchasing a new Samsung 55Q70T and an arc on Saturday as I am having same issues on day 3 and today

i thought a fix on here was replace the HDMI with an optical but my arc does not have an optical connector so I don’t understand why that was presented as a solution.

i am not interested in running through a whole series of diagnostics and unplugging and replugging so of an optical cable does not solve the issue and Sonos can’t provide a solution it is going back and I’ll get a Samsung bar with sub instead 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Shouldn’t there be a recall notice to go out to all the owners and retailers?  It seems like the problem is acknowledged by Sonos but not really posted anywhere.  Without this issue, this is a great product so it is quite unfortunate but I am hoping they come up with a solution - can’t be that difficult, can it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bathdave The Sonos optical connector that is presented as a work around for this problem can  be bought from Sonos: https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

Thanks Rallye - in fact there was one in the box - I didn’t understand why it was there when I installed it 

I guess it means that Sonos have identified it as  an issue and solution 

I contacted my retailer this morning who was aware of the issue, said they had had a small number of similar problems and swapped out the Arc for a new one. The retailer thought it was an intermittent hardware issue on some units - I was told they had sold 20 and had swapped out 2 or 3 and the replacements were fine, they will refund me if this one had the same issue 

currently tearing my hair out getting the new one configured and running 

it’s too f***ing clever for its own good- whatever happened to plug and play?

I can confirm that the HDMI cable is plugged directly from my Sonos Arc into my Samsung Q95T into the eArc port. It’s detected by the TV and the remote volume controls are transferred as normal.

It works fine while watching that evening, then the next time I turn on the TV, like clock-work, it’s back to cutting in an out. I’ve tried enabling and disabling the external device within the tv settings but on turning it back on the sound cuts in and out ever few seconds remainins.

The only way to resolve it so far has been to power cycle the Sonos every time. The strange thing about this issue is it didn’t happen when it first released. I pre-ordered my Sonos and got it same day in Brisbane when it released to market. The issue never occured for the first few months… which makes me suspect that a firmware or software update that came down is the cause, either by the TV manufacturer OR Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I did not have the issue for several days and all of a sudden it is back again.  Absolutely not acceptable.  Seems like everyone’s issue is overall similar but all have different situations.  One thing is the same though, we really need Sonos to come up with a solution.  Just to remind everyone - I had a perfectly fine working Sonos Arc for close to 2 months and then one day it just happened.  I got sound for 5 seconds and then no sound, then sound for 5 seconds, then no sound.  Unplugging the arc fixes the issues and it has come back as early as next day and late as about a week later.

Hi,

I bought both a Samsung TV and a Sonos Arc (see below for details) about a month ago and they’ve never cooperated over eARC. Brand new, out of the box, I connected the Sonos Arc to the TV using the supplied HDMI cable - making sure to connect it to the eARC port. There were no other connections (except Ethernet) connected to the TV or the Arc.

The issue I experience is that sound keeps coming and going every 5-6 seconds and it won’t stop doing so, regardless of settings changes, restarts, resets, etc. After pulling my hair for a while I found threads related to the issue, both on the Samsung forums and here on the Sonos forums. It seemed at the time to be a well known issue on both sides and I also found out that both companies were working on fixes. So I, with a deep sigh, plugged the Arc into the TV using the optical connection - which worked fine - while waiting for new firmware.

Unfortunately the firmware released by Samsung yesterday (8 October) did not resolve the issue, to my great disappointment. So I reached out to Samsung support who offered to login to my TV and reset the HDMI ports, which I agreed to. That actually improved the situation, or at least changed it, the sound went away for much shorter periods of time. It almost made the Arc usable again. Almost. To my despair however, the more severe issue, with sound dropping for longer periods of time, came back after having turned the devices off and on again. The opposite of what you’d normally hope.

On the recommenedation of the Samsung support I also went out and bought a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable, to rule out a faulty connection cable between the TV and the Arc. That had no effect however. This leaves me quite unhappy and no closer to a resolution of the problem. I’m still hoping/looking forward to the Arc working and Atmos playing. But there doesn’t seem to be any solution or even hint of an upcoming fix, except dragging the Arc back to the store hoping to get it returned or replaced. That would be my absolute last resort however, because I really like the Arc and it works ‘fine’ over the optical connection. But it’s quite hard to justify buying the Arc and not having access to the fine features it comes with, like Atmos.

Appreciate any help, hints or suggestions. Best of all would be a date with an Arc firmware release that fixes the issue, but I suspect that’s hoping for too much. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Setup:

Sonos Arc – Latest Sonos firmware

Samsung QE65Q70T (2020 model) – firmware version 1402.6 (released 8 oct in the EU)

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto

Dolby Atmos Compatibility: On

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi

I see all these threads about audio dropping but most seem to be short sound drops, in my case I have complete audio dropping and not coming back.

Anyone with the same issue, perhaps report it in here.

I have the LG CX and I lose sound all together when changing between sources, this can be simply exiting the Netflix app back to live TV or turning on my xbox and not having an audio outputting, all very random when it occurs.

Various things can bring back the audio, simple on/off off tv, or switching back and forth between sources.

So if anyone else has the same issue, I would love to hear, because I worry that I’m alone with this and it may be a hardware issue.

I’m getting a bit fed up with this issue, had the ARC nearly 3 months and just want to be sure its something that others experience, I don't mind waiting for a fix if that’s the case.

I kept tinkering with the settings, using the newly bought HDMI cable and the stock one, it seems the problem is still there however it’s slightly less annoying. I disabled HDMI-eARC in the TV (changing from Auto to Off), to my understanding eARC is only necessary for uncompressed Atmos which seems to only come from BluRay-discs. Probably got that wrong, so please correct me if I am. If that’s actually the case however, it’s fine, since I only watch content from apps on the TV (Disney+, Netflix, etc.) anyway and those sources only requires (again to my understanding) an ARC connection (not eARC).

My Sonos app now shows that it’s playing Atmos sound both through logo in the now playing and ‘About my system’ says the Arc is playing Dolby Atmos (DD+). That’s an improvement at least.

So instead of having 5-6 seconds of sound and 5-6 seconds of complete silence from the Arc. I now have approximately 15-20 seconds of sound and 1-2 seconds of silence. Obviously way better, but still terribly annoying.

Probably doesn’t change anything, but maybe someone can relate or it helps narrow down the search space for potential solutions.

Also, I realized I posted this in the completely wrong forum - sorry for that. If someone can point me to where I can move this post or if someone could help me move it to the Troubleshooting forum I think that would make more sense.

Thanks again.

I have the same problem here. Sound on the Arc cuts in and out every 5 seconds. I have a Samsung Frame Television. The problem only occurs with the TV - otherwise the Arc works fine (on streaming services etc). 
I just spoke with Sonos support in Europe to log the fault  (I am in Ireland) and I was surprised that they were not aware of the problem. You would think that this would be well flagged and known at Sonos support. 

Anyhow the workaround for me - is to turn off everything and reboot the TV and the Arc every day. That seems to work but is quite frustrating and not ideal for a new soundbar  

Thanks for all of the feedback here and appreciate updates. 
if no progress in next month or two I’m giving this back

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, the Sonos support I spoke to twice was either not aware of the issue or basically refused to say there is an issue even though I mentioned that on the community boards, we were told to go log the issue.  They almost undermined this board by saying it is not official which was disappointing to see that kind of disconnect.  As I mentioned before, the only communication has been here which is very frustrating because this should be everywhere so the consumer is aware, at the very least their support team should be aware.