Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

748 replies

Bravia 950H as I reported shows this exact problem.  I opened up a case with Sonos and I’m about to provide them with the information they requested (diagnostic logs, various attempts at isolating the problem).  I thought I’d share what I’m going to send in the event its helpful to someone else.

@Kyle A , thank you for responding. I sure hope a fix can be developed so I don’t have to return the unit, when it works, especially with Dolby Atmos support, its quite amazing.  But losing sound in the middle of watching something is just so fundamental it cannot be ignored; so this must get fixed or go back.

Here’s the sequence of steps I took when I got the problem to happen again (streaming Hulu from the Sony Smart TV interface)

Audio cut out / stopped on Sony TV / HULU playing

captured logs

started Spotify music targeting the ARC = sound ok

Switched TV Input to cable TV (HDMI 1) = sound ok

Switched TV back to Sony TV / Hulu = sound still not working

Switched TV Input to HDMI 2 (Roku stick) = sound ok

Switched TV back to Sony TV / Hulu = sound still not working

Switched Sony TV to Disney+ = sound ok

Switched TV back to Sony TV / Hulu = sound is now working again.

HTH

Edit: I’m not intentionally picking on Hulu. the same cut out happens with Disney+, Netflix, etc.  I don’t think what is streaming matters (though the problem might be based on the fact that something is streaming, IDK).

This is so embarrassing, having this issue with a system just installed in a clients house. 
I have the exact same set up as I’ve just installed (arc, sub  and 2x ones for surround) I have an LG E7 OLED  and have absolutely zero issues at all yet they have a Samsung QE75Q90 and they’re having this issue!!

Very disappointed with Sonos here. 

diagnostic: 573668133

worth noting that when I disabled “ Dolby Atmos compatibility” no more stutters.

great a £800 Atmos soundbar that can’t handle Atmos..

edit: the stutters are back!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @allenelectrical, welcome to the community.

I checked the diagnostics, same error logs as the others I’ve seen. 

The Arc can handle Atmos, the issue is the TV-Arc connection being unstable.

This issue has been already reported to Samsung and our engineers are working with them to fix the issue.

Currently, there is no new information that can be shared.

We will let everyone know once we have new information to share.

Badge +1

Hi @Kyle A ,

Is it the same issue with the Sony TVs like the 950G?

Has it been reported to Sony and are your engineers working with Sony to fix the issue?

Thank you,

Ben

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Kyle A ,

I have owned the Arc, connected via HDMI to my Samsung TV (Model: QN85Q70TA), for over 1.5 months with no issues.  About 2 weeks ago, I started to have similar issues as mentioned by others on this chain.  Using any program/source from the TV, when the problem occurs,I basically hear sound for 5 seconds and then 0.5 second drop, then immediately returns for 5 seconds, then drops.  It is impossible to watch anything because of it.  I have tried all the suggestions and the one that fixes is to unplug.  However, the problem just returns the next day.  

Am I right to assume this is a similar issue and have to just wait it out at the moment?

I submitted diagnostics because I was on the phone with Sonos to relay this information, it is 1885606719.  However, I believe the issue is not there right now as I reset (plugged out) the speaker to fix the issue last night.

My new Arc is connected to a brand new Samsung Q60T and the sound keeps cutting out. It worked well for just over a week.  In fact was brilliant.  I called Sonos, the assistant didn’t know about this problem even though people have been talking about it here for months. He asked me to unplug both the TV and Arc which I did and it appeared to work. I then turned off the TV and the next time I turned it on the problem returned. I called again and was asked to reverse the the HDMI cable. That didn’t work. He said call again tomorrow - we’re about to close. Aaarrrgh. This is brand new equipment. I only bought it for the TV. Since it worked fine for a week and I was sure I wanted to keep it I threw away the packaging. Now I’m stuck with £799 worth of junk. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Still getting sound drops on my ARC with LG CX 

My sound drops more so when switching between sources, just drops altogether, to get it back I have to switch between sources a few times for it to get the audio back.

To me this seems like eARC is flakey on the ARC or on the LG CX, perhaps both.

I also get the stuttering audio sometimes thats been mentioned and also the zip sound thats also been mentioned on here.

I see from KyleA’s post above it’s been reported to Samsung and they’re working on it together. It’s not really acceptable to not give us a estimated time of fix. This wasn’t a cheap product and was advertised as it would work with TVs worth eArc. 

I just tried my affected Sonos Arc in my 2020 Samsung 75” Q80T (I have a second Arc that has NO problems whatsoever with this TV) and every time I turn the TV off, the audio defaults back to TV Speaker and I have to go to the audio settings to manually switch to HDMI-eARC to get the Arc working again, at which point it performs well with NO dropouts. When I turn the TV off then on again, I have to do all this over again.

The problems seem to be with one Arc but not the other. And the Arc exhibiting problems does so in more than one model of brand new Samsung TV,

The problems ALL go away when using the Optical adapter, but using this workaround diminishes the full features of the Arc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just saw this … still doesn’t point to the problem. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

PCM and DD does not give the atmos.  It says this is for the optical connection... why suggest it? Useless information!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @KrishnaM - yes restarting and rebooting is not an acceptable solution for my Samsung TV. Can you please keep us updated?  Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. I understand that the workarounds are not easy and rest assured that the team working on this are doing their best to have a fix as soon as possible. Will update this thread when we do. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.  

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.  

As I have (among MANY other Sonos products) an Arc that exhibits the problems and one that doesn't, I need a replacement for the one that doesn’t work as intended. You can take all the time in the world to fix it as long as what I have works.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @OutlawPilot, thanks for reaching out here and I understand that we all want our devices to work and you can go ahead and call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET for further checking and may proceed with the replacement since you have one working perfectly. Just let us know if you still need anything. We and the community are always here to help.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Krishma.  Does this mean we think a firmware/software update remotely will most likely fix the issue?   Or do you recommend everyone who has the issue to get replacements until further notice?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dk3, thanks for your response. That will be based on how the troubleshooting will end and since they have a Sonos Arc that works perfectly, it seems that the other Arc needs a replacement and it should be done and checked by the phone support team for more details. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

same issue, after a  week of trouble-free use, the arc became unlistenable. 2020 era Samsung Frame TV connected HDMI arc. Reboot addresses it temporarily. Peter

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Krishma M .  My troubleshooting has ended with the only solution so far being to plug it out and reset it.  Cable changes, different source of audio, other Sonos products (beam) seem all fine.

Same issue as everyone else, replying so that I can keep track of a resolution. The timeframe for this issue is just silly. At some point sonos needs to think about either a recall or a refund for the broken devices. 

Sonos Arc plugged in with provided hdmi cable to

Samsung Frame TV 2020 with no extra hdmi devices connected. 

Diagnostics - 474506533

Perhaps we need a good old petition to get this resolved and start getting some media attention as clearly Sonos don’t care about their very expensive products anymore. This isn’t acceptable from a brand that charges so much money for their equipment!!

I have the same issue.  I have to unplug to resolve which isn't what should be needed with such an expensive piece of equipment.  

I replied to follow this thread.

Waiting on this fix!!!!  Super annoying, and very disappointing.  The sound is so amazing, to have this happen is really tough to deal with.

Also, this shows as “Answered” when they are actively working on a patch.  Unplug/plugin is not a long term solution to a clear software issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got a notification saying the post has been updated with a “Best Answer” from KrishnaM.

I do agree that’s the “Best Answer” currently available but can we please leave this marked Open since the solution is not solved - even in Krishna’s post, it says “we are working with them to address the issue”

Clearly it is not solved yet.