Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

748 replies

Same issue with my tv and ARC. tried unplugging (power and HDMI). 

here is the diagnostic: 1904797134

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply.

@jlindstrom, the diagnostic is showing that the Sonos App isn’t connected to the Sonos system.

I would like to know the Network setup you have. I’ll need the model of your router. If you have other network devices like wifi extenders, Mesh systems, and the like, I like to know the model of those devices as well.

@Jbrow, the diagnostic only shows 5 minutes worth of data, I would like you to take a diagnostic when the audio cuts out and reply with the confirmation number.

@jste, the diagnostic shows 20 minutes of data, unfortunately, it’s after a reboot. I would like you to also take a diagnostic when the audio cut out. Can you also please provide the model of the TV.

@khaz22 and @StueyB, can you please clarify the model of your TV and take a diagnostic when the audio cut.

I would also like for everyone to check if there are firmware updates for your TV. 

Please reply with the model of your TV also take a diagnostic when the audio cuts out on the Sonos Arc before rebooting the soundbar.

I will try to assist everyone here. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge +1

Same Issue, have an LG CX tv and just sent diagnostics, conf #838225063

Also when watching Formula1 on Netflix the dialogue will switch from the arc to the surrounds (2 one SL’s) randomly, haven’t confirmed if it does this with other shows yet just noticed this problem now. And its not like the people moved behind you or something seems unintentional as it only last a few seconds then switches back to coming from arc, seems like a possibly related issue? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mathenautical, thank you for reaching out.

I checked the diagnostic, the Arc has been rebooted 12mins ago in the diagnostic.

I would like to know if you rebooted the Arc? If so, I would like you to take a diagnostic when it happens and without rebooting the Arc.

This so that the diagnostic will have the data of it cutting out.

Please monitor the Arc and update us with your findings.

Hi guys. I’m having the same problem here. Just picked up my arc 2 days ago. I have a Sony x9500g TV. Have had 3 instances. Arc sound intermittent, arc losing sound sync, and sound stopping completely. Never happens at commencement, always 10 or 20 minutes. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @duncandsami, thank you for reaching out.

I will be happy to look into the issue.

I would like you to take a diagnostic on the system without rebooting the Arc when the issue occurs.

Post the confirmation number and I’ll take a closer look.

Also, check for any TV firmware updates. So we don’t miss any bug fixes the manufacturer has put out.

Update us if you have the diagnostic confirmation number.

Hi. Hope you can please help. Just received my Sonos Arc a few days ago.  I have been having a strange problem with sound cutting out using my Apple TV 4K.  I am using the latest LG CX TV.  

If I play an iTunes movie with a menu the sound plays fine on the menu. I then start the movie in Dolby atmos which plays fine. If I then return to the movie’s menu the sound keeps cutting out. If I return to the movie in Dolby atmos it plays fine.

This sound issue also shows up in the Tidal app on Apple TV. If I play a Dolby atmos album then play a normal stereo track the sound keeps cutting out. 

I installed the Tidal app on my Nvidia Shield and I do not experience this issue at all. 

I have read on another forum that you plan an upgrade to the Arc which will enable Lossless PCM sound. Is this true and when will this update arrive as I’m hoping it may fix the problem?

my diagnostic number is 952087010. 

Thanks.

Badge +1

Hi @mathenautical, thank you for reaching out.

I checked the diagnostic, the Arc has been rebooted 12mins ago in the diagnostic.

I would like to know if you rebooted the Arc? If so, I would like you to take a diagnostic when it happens and without rebooting the Arc.

This so that the diagnostic will have the data of it cutting out.

Please monitor the Arc and update us with your findings.

I did reboot it, here is a new diagnostic without me rebooting it conf#945320603

Hi @duncandsami, thank you for reaching out.

I will be happy to look into the issue.

I would like you to take a diagnostic on the system without rebooting the Arc when the issue occurs.

Post the confirmation number and I’ll take a closer look.

Also, check for any TV firmware updates. So we don’t miss any bug fixes the manufacturer has put out.

Update us if you have the diagnostic confirmation number.

Hi Kyle diagnostic sent through 105785083. Cheers

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Macbooky, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

@mathenautical and @duncandsami, thank you for the update.

The common error I see in the diagnostics is that the TV intermittently starts and stops sending the audio signal to the Arc.

952087010 - 2 minutes of the TV doing this and then after connecting it starts again after 2 mins. Arc is receiving Dolby Atmos

945320603 - 1 minute then starts again after 6 minutes. Arc is receiving Dolby Atmos

105785083  - Has a longer, for 2 hours with output errors. Arc is receiving Silence from the TV. 

I would like to know what source was being played on the TV and where it’s from; when the diagnostic was taken. (e.g. Star Wars from the Apple TV box)

We would need to check the HDMI cable connection; to make sure it’s firmly plugged in.  

Check for any firmware update for the TV, because at times manufacturers send out updates for bug fixes.

Also, when rebooting the TV and Sonos Arc, the sequence is: Unplug both from power plug in the TV and wait for it to boot completely then boot up the Arc.

Update us with your findings.

Userlevel 1

New Sonos owner here.  Love the ARC and accompanying 3rd gen sub, however, I started to get the same issue today.  All of us here seem to have different TV brands and models with the same exact problem, so it may be safe to say that it’s not an issue with our TV or it’s firmware.  Could there be an issue with the ARC itself?  Can this be resolved through a software update.  I love the sound these speaker produce, but I am tempted to return and wait until the kinks get worked out and repurchased later.  Spending this amount of money, I do not want to have to power cycle and replug the ARC in order for it to work properly.  Please provide a permanent fix. 

Userlevel 1

Please see my report: 1027968815

Userlevel 1

Please see my report: 1027968815

I was watching Roma on Netflix using Apple TV 4K.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

The problem still continues, but I have not heard anything from Sonos except for yesterday asking me to answer a Sonos Support survey which seemed to assume support had responded with some help.  

I have to wonder if Sonos is having some sort of staffing difficulties as they seem to be very difficult to get in contact with.  I love the cleanness of the Sonos Arc system, but have to wonder if I have made an error in judgement abandoning my old, reliable wired system.

Badge

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply.

@jlindstrom, the diagnostic is showing that the Sonos App isn’t connected to the Sonos system.

I would like to know the Network setup you have. I’ll need the model of your router. If you have other network devices like wifi extenders, Mesh systems, and the like, I like to know the model of those devices as well.

@Jbrow, the diagnostic only shows 5 minutes worth of data, I would like you to take a diagnostic when the audio cuts out and reply with the confirmation number.

@jste, the diagnostic shows 20 minutes of data, unfortunately, it’s after a reboot. I would like you to also take a diagnostic when the audio cut out. Can you also please provide the model of the TV.

@khaz22 and @StueyB, can you please clarify the model of your TV and take a diagnostic when the audio cut.

I would also like for everyone to check if there are firmware updates for your TV. 

Please reply with the model of your TV also take a diagnostic when the audio cuts out on the Sonos Arc before rebooting the soundbar.

I will try to assist everyone here. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

The audio is cutting out again:

diagnostic number: 1150192570

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @JT33, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late response.

Hi @Jbrow, thank you for the update.

@JT33, I understand if you wish to return the product as our Sound Engineers work out the kinks. 

As long as the product hasn’t passed the 45-day money-back guarantee return you should be able to get your money’s worth back. 

As for the TV firmware, we would need to lessen the variables our Sound Engineers need to check. So having it up to date can help them as well.

If you feel that there’s something wrong with your Arc. It would be worth calling our Phone Support as they have more options if they find something wrong with the Arc. 

@Jbrow, I checked the diagnostic, I’m seeing the same error as the others including @JT33’s diagnostic. The TV signal is lost then found intermittently.

Check any firmware update for the TV, check the HDMI cable connection, test if the Arc plays music without audio drops, and then reboot the TV and Arc by unplugging both(boot up the TV first before the Arc).

Update us with your findings and if the reboot fixed it or not.

Userlevel 1

I purchased the unit through Best Buy.  I have another order in to replace this one just to see if the new one will work without issues.  I love the quality of the sound, so it is quite frankly hard to give up.  I just hope that there is a simple fix if your engineers fine an issue, if there is one, in the future.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @JT33, thank you for the input.

Since I’m seeing a trend in the diagnostics, I would like for everyone here to check;

If it also happens during Music Playback and with an Optical Adaptor connection to the TV.

If it doesn’t, we have now isolate that the issue only occurs in an HDMI-ARC connection to the TV.

This will give us an extensive report for our Engineers to look at.

Update us with your findings.

I’m having the same cut in out problems. Is there any reports on fixes other than resetting it all the time?

I recently received my Sonos Arc as well and am also experiencing this.

My Setup:

• Directly connected to eARC/HDMI to my Sony XBR75X950H
  • Arc has physical Ethernet connectivity to my Spectrum router (WiFi not enabled)
  • Firmware is up to date on my Sony television and the Sonos system

I have swapped the HDMI cable and the issue still persists. This happens with any of my streaming apps (Hulu, NetFlix, and Prime). When I unplug just the soundbar, wait for the 10-seconds, and plug it back in, the sound is back.

I will try to use the optical out adapter and see if I still have the issue. The problem is that this very intermittent and not consistent at all. Sometimes the soundbar will work all day and be fine and other times the sound will cut out multiple times a day.

Same issue with my LG OLED55B7A.  I have a ROKU box as a source.

1. It only happened over ARC.
  2. I swapped out HDMI cables.
  3. I swapped out which HDMI port on the TV I used.
  4. Did occur if I tried to use airplay and then toggled back to the TV.  If I stopped the airplay then toggled back to the TV it appeared to work better.
  5. Sometimes it would come back by itself, other times rebooting the TV and ARC would fix the problem.  On the last occasion it just stopped working altogether, independent of what I did.

I was getting to the end of my free return period with Bestbuy so I gave up and sent it back. Life is too short. Shame, when it worked it was ok !

My TV firmware was up to date.

Badge

@Kyle A 1022192339. TV audio cuts out at least once a day, typically turning the TV off and back on fixes the issue. Sometimes, it requires power cycling the Sonos ARC.

Sony XBR-75X950H (firmware 6.4770.615), connected with eARC using the Sonos HDMI cable. Both the TV and Sonos ARC are up to date.

Built in Android app - Hulu, Cutthroat Kitchen. Has been observed watching content with Hulu, Netflix, Disney+.

TV and ARC are both on Wifi, coming from Ubiquiti Unifi setup (Router: UniFi Security Gateway 3P, Core Switch: UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W, close access point: UniFi AP-HD-In Wall, other access point: UniFi AP-HD).

I’m not sure if Sonos was naming this thing after Audio Return Channel, or Already Really Crappy. Joking aside, this is my first Sonos device, and as a software developer (who has had to deal with HDMI compliance for set top boxes) I’m very disappointed in the quality of software here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @BoostinChick, @G422, @AndyLG, and @jpcarey, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

@G422, as of this time, I’m gathering more information about the TV-Sonos Arc connection issue. 

A few things I would like you to check, is it also happening while playing music?

If not, check the TV firmware for any updates, check the HDMI cable, try the optical adaptor connection.

If you still encounter the issue, submit a diagnostic confirmation number. So we can check for the same errors.

@BoostinChick, thank you for your cooperation, please update us if you also encounter the same issue.

@AndyLG, I understand the decision, having a high-value product not work properly is not ok. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

@jpcarey, thank you for the input; I’m not sure why Sonos named it this way but honestly, it’s confusing because we also deal with the HDMI-ARC. 

For the software, I do understand the disappointment and no worries our engineers are looking into it.

Also, please take a diagnostic for us to verify the errors we’re seeing.

Update us with the diagnostic.

Badge +1

Seems to be the same issue I am having with my LG OLED, randomly the arc will drop connection, return to TV speakers and then the arc will come back on, annoying AF !!

I have an LG OLED65C97LA. The Sonos Arc works as expected. No audio dropouts at all.

Regards Hoppel

Badge

@Kyle A I had included the number of the diagnostic in my prior message, 1022192339. I just took a new one when it dropped out today, Hulu: Chopped, 1879020268. I turned the TV off and back on, waited for audio playback, and submitted for the diagnostic. Let me know if there is anything extra, debug mode, etc; that you might like for me to do. My wife is about ready to have this thing returned.