Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

748 replies

Posted earlier on this issue.  After all the connection issues I gave up, took the system back to BestBuy. 2 days later I got a Bose 700 (because it is also white). Using the ARC connection, I have no drop outs on the Bose, which were not related to the source, which points to the sonos.  Noting that both the Bose and Sonos have difficulties reconnecting back to the TV system after using airplay.

The Bose has to also go back because it appears to be a referb unit, rather than new?

I would probably swing back to the sonos if there were any signs of a fix?

It’s funny that you mention the Nintendo issue. Mine didn’t start having problems until we started playing on Nintendo Wii. Had family in town and we played mario kart and immediately started having issues. Xbox and PlayStation work fine. Why would that be?

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

Glad I came across this.

Mine has been working 100% perfect and still runs fine on Netflix, Disney+, std digital TV.

The first time I tried to use the Nintendo Switch I noticed it cutting out. It does it constantly and is worse the more is going on the screen at the time.

I have a OLED55B9PTA running eARC

Has there been an update that don’t know about? All of a sudden mine has been worked my perfectly. Two week straight and no further issues. Prior to that my ARC was cutting out every 3 seconds until unplugged and plugged it back in. Would do this once a week. Now I have no issues. Fingers crossed. 

I have Samsung Q8DT TV 2020 with eARC. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Optical seems error free. But opposite one of the reasons I bought the Arc—for the eArc, single remote with Sony native apps, etc.

Switching from Auto 1 to Auto 2 or PCM returns the sound. Really odd. 

I am a dealer and I have had some issues with audio as well on the Sony A8H model. I used the optical adaptor to bypass the HDMI ARC from the TV to verify it is not a EDID issue. The customers Audio still drops from using the TV apps as well as the HDMI input from the cable company. I spoke to Sonos tech support yesterday and they said they are working with Sony. They did not say however hows fault this is nor did I get a time frame on the fix. I have my customer bypassing the ARC altogether to see if sound still cuts out from TV speakers. 

Are they using the Sonos supplied HDMI cable? I have read that they possibly have a bad batch of HDMI cables as well. I am using another HDMI cable + the optical adapter and I have not experienced any more cutting out issues for over a week now. I also noticed that my Sonos system has updated to 12.0.3. I tried eARC again on 12.0.3 but ran into the same issue of the audio cutting out so I swapped back to the optical adapter. Good to know that Sonos tech support is claiming they are working with Sony on this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I hope not. Got the Arc for the eArc, Atmos, one remote, etc. 

thx 

Had the same problem with both Arc and Beam on Samsing TVs.  I switched to using the optical cable on both and the problem has stopped.  At ;east no sound drop out.  Creates a hassle with using the remote to change volume, but do that with Sonos now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem, here. Among other problems.

Long time Playbar user. Zero problems. 

Intermittent cut in sound. Wall mount. Under Sony 65” X950G (2018). Stock Sonos cables. eArc connection.

Hope there’s a simple fix.

Um, I’m not paying $800 for a sound bar and un plugging it and plugging it back in every 3-4 days so it works without disruption.

i need a fix.

now.

Thanks for the reply. However I have to unplug and plug in the arc everyday. I don’t think that’s right. Go figure!

Ok, unplugging and plugging back in the Arc fixed it. 

go figure. 

Just want to say I had the exact same issue on a Samsung TV. This solution worked for me as well. 

I recently received my Sonos Arc as well and am also experiencing this.

My Setup:

• Directly connected to eARC/HDMI to my Sony XBR75X950H
  • Arc has physical Ethernet connectivity to my Spectrum router (WiFi not enabled)
  • Firmware is up to date on my Sony television and the Sonos system

I have swapped the HDMI cable and the issue still persists. This happens with any of my streaming apps (Hulu, NetFlix, and Prime). When I unplug just the soundbar, wait for the 10-seconds, and plug it back in, the sound is back.

I will try to use the optical out adapter and see if I still have the issue. The problem is that this very intermittent and not consistent at all. Sometimes the soundbar will work all day and be fine and other times the sound will cut out multiple times a day.

Just wanted to update everyone that swapping out to the optical out adapter seems to have resolved the issue of the TV sound cutting out on my Sony TV. I did see a few posts asking about music and I was able to stream music without any audio issues (AirPlay). Seems like this is isolated to the HDMI/eARC as the cause of this issue. The only downside to using the adapter is that now I have to control volume through my phone or an additional remote. Hoping Sonos has an update soon!

I am a dealer and I have had some issues with audio as well on the Sony A8H model. I used the optical adaptor to bypass the HDMI ARC from the TV to verify it is not a EDID issue. The customers Audio still drops from using the TV apps as well as the HDMI input from the cable company. I spoke to Sonos tech support yesterday and they said they are working with Sony. They did not say however hows fault this is nor did I get a time frame on the fix. I have my customer bypassing the ARC altogether to see if sound still cuts out from TV speakers. 

Hi. I have purchased the Samsung Frame 75” TV (2020 MODEL). I also have the Sonos ARC, Sonos Sub Woofer (Gen 3) and the 2 Sonos One speakers all purchased 2 weeks ago.

On the Samsung TV i am not able to choose e-ARC auto in settings. Is this a Samsung issue or Sonos?

Also from time to time when I turn the TV on the sound with cut in and out. The only way I can fix this issue is by unplugging the Sonos ARC and replugging it back in. Once i do this the issue is fixed. 

Do we know why this is happening?

Just bought Arc, sub and surround speakers. Sound is great and then turns on and off. Unplug and restart and works again. Then stops. I have a Samsung TV. Just return the system?  This seems like an ongoing issue with no real fix. 

I am having exact same issue: sound cuts out every 4-5 secs for one sec

Brand new arc

Brand new Samsung QT70 

I have to unplug and re plug Arc to fix, occurs daily 

This is clearly a Sonos issue. 

I have been Sonos user for over 5-6 years. i have absolutely loved my SL Play Ones from day one, to the point where i bought four of them, I have recommend Sonos to every person I can, i finally decided to commit fully to Sonos as my entertainment system and bought an Arc, Sub, and boost. I understand new products can have issues, but I am pretty disheartened with Sonos products after such a financial commitment, hoping this can be resolved

Hi,

I have emailed my set up details now. I have removed an old Samsung Bluray player from my set up and since doing so, have found that I cannot replicate the sound issues (cutting in and out) again.

I have been having the same issue for months now. 2020 Samsung Q series with the ARC. I have spent HOURS on the phone with Sonos Techs and submitted many diagnostics reports and the only solution offered to me was to unplug the Arc and ALL of my TV inputs. Then Plug the Arc back in followed by each of my TV inputs (EVERY TIME). Since the issue is re-occurring, I was told it must be that my HDMI cables have “Too much capability” and they are passing different signals that the ARC doesn't know what to do with. So, I need to swap them out with “Dumb” ones. REALLY???? What a joke. How was this stuff not caught during Beta testing? I wish I had a way to recoup my money and time spent on this. 

Spend all this money for this kind of support and response. SMH

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @BoostinChick, @jpcarey and @azavalao welcome to the community.

Thank you for the update @jpcarey and @BoostinChick.

@BoostinChick, there’s is a remote setup in the Sonos app for the Arc to recognize an IR remote.

Setting > System > [Arc’s Room] > Remote Control Setup.

@jpcarey, as of now there’s no estimated time given on when it will be fixed and don’t worry if the 45 day return period is up; there’s still the 1-year warranty.

I checked the diagnostic, still the same errors as before.

@BoostinChick and @jpcarey; For the HDMI connection issue, I would recommend calling our Phone Support. 

They’ll have more options to address the HDMI issue; they can also escalate the issue further if need be.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

@azavalao, I would like to confirm with a diagnostic; if the Arc also shows the same errors.

Please take a diagnostic in the Sonos app. Settings > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic.

After getting the diagnostic, test music playback and with an optical connection.

If it’s all the same with the others, I would also recommend calling our Phone Support.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused and thank you for your patience.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

I have the same issue. I have a Samsung UN65TU7000F (2020) and using Rocketfish 4K Cables. It started from the first time, but I thought it was a cable issue, tried with different cables and the problem was temporarily solved for about a week. Today, I am having the problem again. Would like to know if its a software issue that will be solved with an update or a hardware issue to send it back. 

Badge

@Kyle A another 985001023. It has cut out at least 6 times today. I’ve used Airplay and never observed an issue. Additionally, before the ARC arrived, I had the TV hooked to a Sony AVR via ARC and never once had an issue.

Using process of elimination here, that leaves two possible faulty components: the HDMI cable Sonos supplied, or a hardware or software fault for the HDMI input for the ARC. I’ve noticed others have switched out the cable and observed the same results with the audio cutting out.

Since this appears to either be a hardware or software issue for the ARC, it would be great to get some insight on how and when this will be fixed. Otherwise I’ll miss my 45 day refund window while spinning my wheels swapping out the HDMI cables and submitting a diagnostic each day...

I recently received my Sonos Arc as well and am also experiencing this.

My Setup:

• Directly connected to eARC/HDMI to my Sony XBR75X950H
  • Arc has physical Ethernet connectivity to my Spectrum router (WiFi not enabled)
  • Firmware is up to date on my Sony television and the Sonos system

I have swapped the HDMI cable and the issue still persists. This happens with any of my streaming apps (Hulu, NetFlix, and Prime). When I unplug just the soundbar, wait for the 10-seconds, and plug it back in, the sound is back.

I will try to use the optical out adapter and see if I still have the issue. The problem is that this very intermittent and not consistent at all. Sometimes the soundbar will work all day and be fine and other times the sound will cut out multiple times a day.

Just wanted to update everyone that swapping out to the optical out adapter seems to have resolved the issue of the TV sound cutting out on my Sony TV. I did see a few posts asking about music and I was able to stream music without any audio issues (AirPlay). Seems like this is isolated to the HDMI/eARC as the cause of this issue. The only downside to using the adapter is that now I have to control volume through my phone or an additional remote. Hoping Sonos has an update soon!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jpcarey, thank you for the update.

I apologize I didn’t notice it the first time. Thank you for pointing it out.

I checked the diagnostic, I’m seeing the same errors. TV connection cutting in and out intermittently.

I can also see it’s receiving Dolby Digital Plus in the diagnostics.

To further isolate the issue, check if the issue persists during Music Playback and an Optical connection with the adaptor to the TV.

I won’t stop the return if you decided to go this route. As long it’s within the Money Back Guarantee period you should get your money’s worth back.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

Badge

@Kyle A I had included the number of the diagnostic in my prior message, 1022192339. I just took a new one when it dropped out today, Hulu: Chopped, 1879020268. I turned the TV off and back on, waited for audio playback, and submitted for the diagnostic. Let me know if there is anything extra, debug mode, etc; that you might like for me to do. My wife is about ready to have this thing returned.

Badge +1

Seems to be the same issue I am having with my LG OLED, randomly the arc will drop connection, return to TV speakers and then the arc will come back on, annoying AF !!

I have an LG OLED65C97LA. The Sonos Arc works as expected. No audio dropouts at all.

Regards Hoppel